yconic - Um why do they even care?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Um why do they even care?

A photo of SassyAmbivalence SassyAmbivalence
Hi I have a concern, and I hope someone would be able to shed some light.

In the McGill application, I'm asked if I am a dual citizen of another country and ask me the name of the country.

That kinda makes me feel uncomfortable, and I don't know quite why. I guess I'd feel more comfortable if I knew why they need to know if I am a dual citizen or not.

Do you guys have an idea? I'm born and raised in Canada but my parents are from another country. I have both Canadian and Spanish passports.

I'm not the only who slightly feels iffy, my friend also wonders about the relevance. TBH I think I'm just gonna leave that slot blank. :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK
You need to be less suspicious/paranoid.

Take me for example. My main nationality is British, so I listed that... my dual nationality is Canadian, so I listed that. Without this information I would be enrolled as an international applicant paying international fees rather than those for Canadian citizens.

They need the information because it could have implications for your application as it did in my case.

Mystery solved.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SassyAmbivalence SassyAmbivalence

@OscarUK wrote
You need to be less suspicious/paranoid.

Take me for example. My main nationality is British, so I listed that... my dual nationality is Canadian, so I listed that. Without this information I would be enrolled as an international applicant paying international fees rather than those for Canadian citizens.

They need the information because it could have implications for your application as it did in my case.

Mystery solved.

I wouldn't be paying international fees considering I was born in Canada. The 'where were you born' question comes before so having another citizenship doesn't mean anything.

I guess I'm being all paranoid because I was never asked about my dual citizenship even for 'important' stuff such as my SIN.

But you're right, it could have implications. Bleh.

I know you don't know where I'm coming from with this paranoia, it's all good :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gigzak gigzak
Well it's a way the one figure out how likely it is for you to stay in Canada once you have graduated. This is just a guess, but i believe you can ask McGill about it. and you don't have to answer the question if you don't want to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted