yconic - Undergrad before law school?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Undergrad before law school?

A photo of tangerine tangerine
I'm looking into doing my undergrad at York, environmental science and then going on to do the JD/MES at osgoode. But before I finalize my plans, I want to know why York has such a bad rep but osgoode has such a good one?

Bottom line: where does all this hate for York come from and why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Lots of things happen near the York vicinity. Have you been watching the news lately?
But honestly, I don't know the exact reason why everyone laughs at York.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tangerine tangerine

@heesoup wrote
Lots of things happen near the York vicinity. Have you been watching the news lately?
But honestly, I don't know the exact reason why everyone laughs at York.

I live in BC. But I do watch the news.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew
I don't really know why York has such a bad rep because they have several good programs, particularly in the arts. Really, it's only downsides are the area it's in and the fact that it's a commuter school (but all the universities in Toronto are commuter schools).

I'm guessing it's just because the idiots that make fun of it have nothing better to do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@awaysheflew wrote
I don't really know why York has such a bad rep because they have several good programs, particularly in the arts. Really, it's only downsides are the area it's in and the fact that it's a commuter school (but all the universities in Toronto are commuter schools).

I'm guessing it's just because the idiots that make fun of it have nothing better to do.

Partly, it's because we UofT students feel smug about going to UofT. Another reason is that York kids make fun of us for being so academic, so we make fun of them back.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jumpy Jumpy
Osgoode has such a good reputation because, as a law school, it predates York.

Osgoode used to be the only law school in Ontario. It was located downtown (near Osgoode Station, now where the Law Society of Upper Canada is housed). Anyone who went to law school went to Osgoode, then. Strongest alumni network, strongest faculty (by default), etc etc. So it's extremely well entrenched.

In the mid-20th century the Ontario government decided law schools needed to be associated with undergraduate institutions. UofT just started its own program, so Osgoode needed to move up to to York. Osgoode, you'll see, tries to separate itself from York in a few ways. Whereas the UofT Faculty of Law is called the UofT Faculty of Law, for instance, Osgoode doesn't call itself York Faculty of Law.

So there you have it.

York is fine though. Don't stress about the 'prestige' of your undergraduate institution. Find a program you like in a school you like.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I think it's because York is a large commuter school in a sketchy area with a rape incident like once a month.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking

@Zion wrote
I think it's because York is a large commuter school in a sketchy area with a rape incident like once a month.

^ This, though Queen's has had 3-4 deaths in the past year too. They were mostly suicides though, not homicides.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Academentia Academentia
Maybe because York really isn't recognized in international rankings (which are largely based upon research and recognition of the faculty there). Some other schools are like that, such as Queens or Mount Allison, but then they are known for providing a really great student experience so they win on NSSE and other student satisfaction rankings (like the ones MacLeans and Globe and Mail do). Because York is more of a commuter school, its hard to win on that dimension.
Was this helpful? Yes 0