yconic - Undergrad in Engineering then MBA for Grad
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Undergrad in Engineering then MBA for Grad

A photo of Gladis Gladis
Hi everyone: I am currently in my final year in high school and was looking to go into the engineering field, mainly civil. My ultimate goal after this is to get an MBA, along with my Bachelors on engineering. Im planning to apply to
U of T, Queens, Ryerson and Waterloo's Civil engineering program.
Im leaning towards U of T because of its prestige factor, the fact that it's close to home and the fact that it has the Skoll program that combines the MBA with thee BaSC. My question is which university should i go to?, will the tough work of U OF T hinder the chances of me getting in a grad school for an MBA or should I go to an easier school like Ryerson to inflate the GPA, but its less prestigious and might be harder to find a job out of undergrad. Also how hard is U of T for Civil Engineering, would it be difficult to get a B TO B+ GPA.

Thanks in Advance, and all insight is welcome.

Cheers
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
From what I know (which is pretty much what I read off here lol and what my family knows), getting into an MBA program is more about work experience than marks. Of course I'd imagine having good marks would help, but work experience is more important at that point. I would imagine most people graduate with their bachelors in engineering, work for a few years in industry, then as they move up get their MBA (usually paid for by the company). This is what my dad did, but of course it's only one case. I'm sure there are more experienced people who could answer your question better.
And from what I hear, civil is an "easier" type of engineering, although there really isn't such a thing as an easy engineering program, or university program for that matter imo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gladis Gladis
thanks for the post, i have the most interest in civil and if its the easiest thats a bonus. After working for years, do they still look at your undergrad marks, and do you know about the Skoll program at U of T.
Also, whats ur dads occupation and how much is he making in his field,what was his undergrad GPA and school? if its personal i understand if you dont want to answer

Cheers
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Well don't take my word for civil being "easiest", it's still a lot of work :P and I'd imagine the more you work, the less important it is? But honestly, I've never been through the process.
As for my dad, he did his work and education in Korea, so my story might be irrelevant. He did his undergrad in metallurgical engineering (pretty much materials engineering) and after working a few years doing R&D between a couple big car companies, he earned his MBA (I believe his company paid for it). It's hard to say how much money he made, because I think salaries in Korea tend to be lower than those in North America (in all fields, but living costs are lower too so it balances out), but I think it's safe to say he made 6-figures by the time I was born (so about 30). He quit his job when he was around 40 to come live with us in Canada, so it's impossible to say how much he could've been making now that he's almost 50.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
My dad did that. He got his electrical engineering degree and worked for ten years or so before his company paid for his MBA from some US Liberal arts college. Of course, he was already in management by then, and he just needed the piece of paper. His scenario was different, I guess it does help to get an MBA if you're interested in shifting to a management position in a new company. But think about this: If everyone wants to be a manager, who's going to be the engineer?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
In addition to the Skoll program I believe U of T has added a possible business minor to your engineering degree. Most MBAs care about work experience, but because the Skoll program specifically adds an MBA to your BSc (so I believe), that might not be the case here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Not intending to be biased or anything, but Mac Eng has that specific goal. You can get your b.eng with a management minor which lets you get your MBA in grad school in only 1 year. Google it for more info. It's pretty competitive, but it saves you a year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Academentia Academentia
I'm actually a professor in a business school. I saw this question- looking up something for my kid- and had to offer some help.

Go to the best engineering school. Don't worry about your MBA just yet. The vast majority of students change majors and life plans. Way too early to worry about your MBA.

U of T, fortunately, provides class averages beside your grades. So while they grade on a curve, the difficulty is taken into account.

MBA programs care not just about your GPA but also where you went to school.

While yes you need work experience, the 'quality of work experience' is not how students are selected. Rather your GPA and your GMAT scores count for almost everything. It is just assumed you also have 3-5 years work experience.

About 1/3 of students in MBA programs have an engineering background. The technical training and MBA is an excellent combination.

BTW, there are soooo many MBA and EMBA programs nowadays that absolutely any one can get into one....the key becomes who gest into a top quality business school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0