yconic - Undergrad options for med school
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Undergrad options for med school

A photo of RachDin RachDin
Hi everyone! I'm a high school student going into grade 12 and I just had a couple questions about a few of the undergrad programs. My goal is to go to med school (like so many others). My first and second choices are Health Sci at Mac and BioMed (Scholars Electives) at Western, then Life Sciences at Mac

I'm aware that you can get into med school with any degree as long as you have the prerequisites but I was hoping to find out
- the workload and if I would have enough electives to take the courses I need to prepare for the MCAT
- which program would be more likely to provide job opportunities if I don't get into med school after the first time applying (in a health care setting dealing with others).
- any other tips or insight you may be able to provide

In advance, I'm aware that it will be difficult to be accepted to those 2 programs, but I really think I can do it (90+ average throughout high school). Any tips on the environment of BHSc or BMSc? In particular, is anyone in those programs able to tell me what it's like? I've researched them but never talked to anyone in it.

Thanks in advance! Cheers :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I graduated from BHSc this year so you can PM me if you have any specific questions about the program.

Health sci has a lot of electives (if you stay in the regular stream and don't go into global health/biomed specializations), we get 3 electives each in 1st and 2nd year, 6 electives in 3rd year and then 6-7 electives in 4th year (depending on whether you do a 9 unit thesis or 6 unit senior project). Plenty of space to do a minor or take whatever electives you want. For life sci at Mac, it depends on what you're majoring in..1st year is general and then you major in psych/biopsych/physics/chem/bio/etc in 2nd year and each of those majors will have their own requirements you have to fulfill.

I'd say all 3 programs are the same in terms of job opportunities without any post-grad education - they're all BS'.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of morraa2 morraa2

@inthemaking wrote
I graduated from BHSc this year so you can PM me if you have any specific questions about the program.

Health sci has a lot of electives (if you stay in the regular stream and don't go into global health/biomed specializations), we get 3 electives each in 1st and 2nd year, 6 electives in 3rd year and then 6-7 electives in 4th year (depending on whether you do a 9 unit thesis or 6 unit senior project). Plenty of space to do a minor or take whatever electives you want. For life sci at Mac, it depends on what you're majoring in..1st year is general and then you major in psych/biopsych/physics/chem/bio/etc in 2nd year and each of those majors will have their own requirements you have to fulfill.

I'd say all 3 programs are the same in terms of job opportunities without any post-grad education - they're all BS'.

+1. The only 2 majors where you're pretty much guaranteed a job after are nursing & engineering. And I've known people in both streams who have gone on to med school. Honestly though it comes down to what interests you. If you actually have a passion for business or art or music then pursue that degree! Then do you science electives on the side. Do whatever program you know you're going to be willing to put the work in to get the marks. Or go for healthsci, the program is probably the best in preparing you for medical school and provides a lot of different opportunities to get involved.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of freebird freebird
^Agree.

I'm in UWO biomed, and just wrote the MCAT this summer after second year. My required courses prepared me pretty well for the MCAT material, however if you really want to minimize your studying, I'd recommend taking a physiology course as an elective in second year. It's not a big deal though. In first year you have 1.0 elective, but it can't be science. In second year, you have 1.5-2.0 electives depending on your module, and they can be anything.

In general I like the program. The first couple years are pretty general stuff, and then in third and fourth year you get to specialize much more. Depending on your choice of module it can prepare you very well for research, but as far as health care I think it's just like most other BSc degrees - you'll likely need to do more schooling.

If you've got any more questions, I'd recommend reading this thread:
http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=4874
It's pretty specific, but it may be useful? And then I'd be happy to answer any more questions you still have!
Was this helpful? Yes 0