yconic - Undergrad Science Programs Help
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Undergrad Science Programs Help

A photo of billnyescienceguy billnyescienceguy
Hey I am having trouble figuring out which undergrad programs I should apply to if I am planning on going into Pharmacy or Med School.

So far I have these on my list:

McMaster - Life Science
University of Toronto - Life Science
Western - Biological and Medical Science

but I don't know why program to apply to at these schools:

University of Ottawa (Health Sciences or BioMed?)
University of Guelph
University of Carleton
York

Those 4 don't have a Life Science program so I don't know which one I should take for Med and Pharmacy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of sciencegirlxxx sciencegirlxxx
Well, to get into med school you just need to have an undergraduate degree, its doesn't have to be a specific program.
At the Biomed program at Ottawa it gives a really good foundation for med school, but its the hardest program to get into at Ottawa (at least like 86%). But theres also a biopharmaceutical science too which is specialty and could lead you to pharmacy and drug development. Health Sciences is more the health care system, not only disease but the social factor too.
Guelph also has a Biomed program, like ottawa that provides a really good understanding for med school. Its more difficult to get into as well, more like 83%-86% cut-off.
York has Biomed as well, which has the same things as Ottawa and Guelph.
At Carleton, they don't have a Biomed program, but if you take a biology course or biochem, you will be fine.

To be quite honest, it should be something you like, not something you have to do. And as long as you pass the MCATs you will be good for med school, they will teach you everything you need to do.

I applied to Ottawa - Biomed (ACCEPTED), Toronto - Life Sciences, Immunology (nothing yet), McMaster - Life Science, Biochemistry (..ditto..) and I plan to either go to med school or get a grad degree to become a medical researcher. I am sure if you apply to the ones on your list, it will be good for med school. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of billnyescienceguy billnyescienceguy

@sciencegirlxxx wrote
Well, to get into med school you just need to have an undergraduate degree, its doesn't have to be a specific program.
At the Biomed program at Ottawa it gives a really good foundation for med school, but its the hardest program to get into at Ottawa (at least like 86%). But theres also a biopharmaceutical science too which is specialty and could lead you to pharmacy and drug development. Health Sciences is more the health care system, not only disease but the social factor too.
Guelph also has a Biomed program, like ottawa that provides a really good understanding for med school. Its more difficult to get into as well, more like 83%-86% cut-off.
York has Biomed as well, which has the same things as Ottawa and Guelph.
At Carleton, they don't have a Biomed program, but if you take a biology course or biochem, you will be fine.

To be quite honest, it should be something you like, not something you have to do. And as long as you pass the MCATs you will be good for med school, they will teach you everything you need to do.

I applied to Ottawa - Biomed (ACCEPTED), Toronto - Life Sciences, Immunology (nothing yet), McMaster - Life Science, Biochemistry (..ditto..) and I plan to either go to med school or get a grad degree to become a medical researcher. I am sure if you apply to the ones on your list, it will be good for med school. :)

Hey I just have a question, on OUAC I can't find the biopharmeceutical sciende at Ottawa or the Immunology program at Mac?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Program Details
Institution University of Ottawa
Program Code OSO
Program Title Science (4 years)
Expected Date of Enrollment
2012 Fall (September)

It's under Science (4 years)

Subject of interest, and click Biopharmaceutical Sciences!

Simple as that :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sciencegirlxxx sciencegirlxxx
There is no immunology program at Mac, but if you go into Biochem (like me) you can get a specialization in Biomedical Science. :) Good luck!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
For pharm I know that Toronto likes to take its own undergrads.
Was this helpful? Yes 0