yconic - uni costs..overexagurating?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

uni costs..overexagurating?

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
I just got a letter from mac, and in the package it said that the total cost for residence with everything else is 17,000 dollars?WTF is is pushing it? is it a realistic amount?. I mean like do I really need to pay 3000$ for a meal plan? and spend 1000 for entertainment and 1000 for personal expenses. What do you think is a realistic range here, because I thought about 12k$ would be enough, but 17k$ O_o?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Over exaggerating you mean? :P
Just correcting your grammar.
I think it really depends on the school, anywhere from 12 - 20k is pretty reasonable. It all depends on where you live, what you eat, and what you do for fun.
I would say you'd only spend 1k in total for both entertainment and personal expenses in those 8 months.
Just residence itself is already 5-8k probably, 5-6k tuition, 1k textbooks.. so thats 12-16k already, but then you have the meal plan, which is mandatory for most first year students living in first-year residences, anywhere from 2-3k.. so that's about 14-19k, I would believe it, definitely.
It SOUNDS like a lot, but when you get to university and realize how many things you need to buy and pay for, especially if you're living on campus away from home, it won't seem like a lot anymore.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
It was about this time last year that the financial reality of the situation hit me too. I'm sorry, but life costs money. Prepare to work whenever you have spare time (i.e. don't plan on summer breaks). It's the only way most people can make it through their university.

This was one of the reasons I went to Trent. I get my tuition paid for here. Free rides are super fun :P.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
It depends on the residence/meal plan/program. Tuition for health sci in first year (including supplementary student fees) was $6500 ish. Engineering students always have a higher tuition, and I think life sci is also more. Tuition tends to decrease as you progress through the years though (at least for health sci, my tuition was $5000 this year). With the supplementary fees, you can choose to opt out of medical and dental coverage at the school in September and get like $140 back (I do every year).

I lived in Keyes (the most expensive rez), it was $6000 plus I had a $1800 reduced light meal plan (lowest one possible). If you don't live in Keyes or Bates (the only rez buildings with your own kitchen), you can't apply for the reduced meal plans and instead have to choose from the regular meal plans (I think the light one starts at $2700 and it increases from there).

I never spent too much per year on textbooks because I always bought from upper year friends/used, I've only bought new textbooks twice in my university career. You save a lot of money that way. And I also share textbooks with one of my housemates (she was in life sci and then went into psych, I'm minoring in psych so we have courses together), we split the cost of a textbook. There aren't a lot of mandatory textbooks for health sci courses though so I've never spent more than $300/year on textbooks.

$17k is plausible (especially for an eng student), but I don't think I've spent more than $15k (in 1st year, which was my most expensive).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorLawyerDentist DoctorLawyerDentist
What, you thought you could get a free house, free food, free books, and free lectures? No. Look on the bright side: the government is already paying for half of it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
I'm going to get a house of campus, close to the school and split the rent between three people. And I believe OSAP gives grants? By renting i can also avoid the meal plan.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@cyynthiia wrote
Over exaggerating you mean? :P
Just correcting your grammar.

That's spelling, not grammar. But yeah, for shame, safar.

$17 000 seems to be pretty normal for uni students living in res with a meal plan. Somebody didn't do their research...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
Nope, this number is totally realistic. This is an approximate breakdown of the amount I've paid for the year.
Tuition $7 000
Res & Meal plan $7 000
Textbooks $1 500

So that totals about $15 500
Since I'm in apartment style res I also have to buy groceries since I eat at home more than I do off my meal plan so I've probably spent AT LEAST another thousand for that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Konstiin Konstiin
Think about the meals individually. 80-90 meals a month, at around $5 a meal, is $400.00 - $500.00.

I don't know about your school, but mine is all you can eat, basically. multiply that by, after subtracting holidays and whatnot, seven (months), and you get $3.000 +

Two assumptions are made which likely won't be true: that you want a meal plan for three meals every day of the week (which is ridiculous, I don't know why anyone would buy that) and that the meals are $5.00 each - this may be either an over- or under-assumption, depending on where you go to school. So sure, it may seem like a lot. But think of it individually.

One of the reasons I never skip class (or try my hardest not to) is because I know that skipping a lecture will technically be $80.00 wasted for me. It's a lot of money when you break the prices down.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
Is tuition included in the 17k? If so, very reasonable. If not, sketch.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu
i donno... but 17k to 20k is about right for first year... second year... some tuition double or triple... like AFM... goes from 5100 to 14000 (JUST the tuition, no res, or anything)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
Well, good luck with that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0