yconic - Universities for Engineering?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Universities for Engineering?

A photo of rayK rayK
I was wondering... What universities are good for engineering?

I know Waterloo is really known for their engineering and so that's what I have down. I also put McMaster engineering too.

I know UofT is suppose to be good too, but I know someone who graduated from UofT engineering who suggested that I don't go there because of how the profs don't care at all about you, and how assignments and stuff are just ridiculously hard on purpose.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
UBC
U of A
U of T
Waterloo
McGill
Queens
McMaster

The list really goes on and on...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele

@rayK wrote
I was wondering... What universities are good for engineering?

I know Waterloo is really known for their engineering and so that's what I have down. I also put McMaster engineering too.

I know UofT is suppose to be good too, but I know someone who graduated from UofT engineering who suggested that I don't go there because of how the profs don't care at all about you, and how assignments and stuff are just ridiculously hard on purpose.

Waterloo is definitely a good choice for engineering. One of my best friends from high school is in Mechanical Engineering. From what he tells me, it seems that Waterloo Eng curriculum is a bit more demanding that U of T's, more hours of class, classes cover more topics, etc.

From what I've seen at U of T Eng during my first semester, the idea that "profs don't care about you at all" is mostly false. You will get some who couldn't care less, but most actually want to see you do well. For example, my Mechanics prof sent out an e-mail to everyone in his section over the winter break, congratulating us for achieving the highest final exam average of all the sections. He taught us well during the semester, and it showed.

As for the difficulty of assignments, it is true that some can be a struggle (and this is very true at Waterloo as well), but that's all part of the learning experience. A bunch of easy assignments will teach you nothing!

Good luck with your applications!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Apeng Apeng
Just finished 4 months of mechanical engineering at Waterloo. It was definitely an intense 4 months, but its like a relaxing, intense cycle.

I am at co-op now, much less demanding. Co-op is definitely a HUGE plus for Eng at Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0