yconic - Universities for Mechanical
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Universities for Mechanical

A photo of Supernovav Supernovav
Well i want to get into mechanical engineering. And the many times when i search around about the universities i want want to apply to it leads me here, so i finally decided to sign up.

My marks seem low for someone that wants to get into engineering, I'm not a 90% or even an 80% student but a mid 70..

I wanted to go to waterloo or uoft but when i did research i realized it wasn't a very realistic choice.. I found out that i fit ryersons requirements but there is always alot of bashing towards ryerson, not all the time though. I've been told that once you get you graduate, it doesn't matter at all but there are other times when people said ryerson won't get you a job, and it is laugh at, and looked at as like a high school.

Oh and i also play rugby in and out of school. And i might join 2 more sport teams.

So could anyone give me their opinions on where to apply to, and also which ones have a paid co-op
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of albud289 albud289
Isn't it a bit too early for your marks? There are still plenty of opportunities to improve your grades. Anyways, if a mid 70s average is what you expect then try Carleton or UOIT, they have paid coop for engineering and a good chunk of entering average are within the 70s. I don't have any exact information though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zaidpass zaidpass
http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=9425

I just posted this for students like you :)

It doesn't matter what university you go to. Just work hard and go to a university that feels right.

I love playing rugby and now that I'm at UofT I have no time to play rugby, which is depressing.

I miss being an inside center :(

Don't stop playing rugby, have fun and get a good balance. Universities don't only look at your marks, they look at your extra-curriculars too. One reason I didn't get into waterloo (I didn't have any engineering/science related extra-curriculars)

There are many universities out there for a person with mid 70's. Like the person who posted above, said UoiT and Carelton. Even Ryerson isn't bad.

My sister went to UoiT for manufacturing engineer and now shes driving a infinity g 35. She graduated 3 years ago and she is set :)

Her friend who also graduated 3 years ago from Ryerson Aerospace is very off well too. He got a job in bombardier , a huge company. They even sponsored his Master's, which he is doing now at Waterloo.

Both of them were very hard working, much more than the people who got 80's in high school. None of them were naturally smart, but their hard work paid off becaue in university its more hard work than intelligence.

Unless your a genius, but those are rare, and not your average people :)

Know your potential and your strengths! Don't kill yourself over right now because UofT and Waterloo will screw you over even more :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
It might be tough to get into most engineering schools with a mid 70 average. If that's your goal, just go where you get in, regardless of reputation. I can guarantee you there are Ryerson engineering grads with great jobs.

Are you looking at playing varsity or just intramural sports?

I don't know of any schools that have unpaid co-op. Besides, if you know people you can easily get a summer job yourself.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@albud289 wrote
Isn't it a bit too early for your marks? There are still plenty of opportunities to improve your grades. Anyways, if a mid 70s average is what you expect then try Carleton or UOIT, they have paid coop for engineering and a good chunk of entering average are within the 70s. I don't have any exact information though.

I'm trying to study really hard so that I could get in to the 80s at least. But i don't really like UoITs Laptop program that they have...

@zaidpass wrote

It doesn't matter what university you go to. Just work hard and go to a university that feels right.

I love playing rugby and now that I'm at UofT I have no time to play rugby, which is depressing.

Don't stop playing rugby, have fun and get a good balance. Universities don't only look at your marks, they look at your extra-curriculars too. One reason I didn't get into waterloo (I didn't have any engineering/science related extra-curriculars)

There are many universities out there for a person with mid 70's. Like the person who posted above, said UoiT and Carelton. Even Ryerson isn't bad.

My sister went to UoiT for manufacturing engineer and now shes driving a infinity g 35. She graduated 3 years ago and she is set :)

Her friend who also graduated 3 years ago from Ryerson Aerospace is very off well too. He got a job in bombardier , a huge company. They even sponsored his Master's, which he is doing now at Waterloo.

Both of them were very hard working, much more than the people who got 80's in high school. None of them were naturally smart, but their hard work paid off becaue in university its more hard work than intelligence.

Know your potential and your strengths! Don't kill yourself over right now because UofT and Waterloo will screw you over even more :)

Thank you for that, i read that thread. Can you ask your sister how much the fee for the laptop was? Because if i have to go to UoIT, I'm not really looking forward to renting it every year.
I'm not a genius for sure, haha. I do have a hand full of friends that never study or do homework, but they have a low-90 average. I'm sure of this because when the help me on my work they are usually playing xbox.
I play winger but my coach had to put me in as flanker, so now i'm trying to gain about 40-50lbs in the next year so i'll be around 185 then i'll cut till im 170.
So how is the UofT environment? alot of people say its extremely competitive and cut throat, like not the place to be looking to make friends lol but i never believed that.

@ktel wrote
It might be tough to get into most engineering schools with a mid 70 average. If that's your goal, just go where you get in, regardless of reputation. I can guarantee you there are Ryerson engineering grads with great jobs.

I don't know of any schools that have unpaid co-op. Besides, if you know people you can easily get a summer job yourself.

Yea, i became aware of that during the end of my grade 11 year, so now im trying to get into the 80s at least. So does the uni i go to affect how fast i get a job after? because i hear people saying oh it matters alot, and others that say as long as you graduated it doesn't.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Experience matters more than the university you go to. It might (I stress might) affect your first job, but thereafter it's not going to matter much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Supernovav wrote

@albud289 wrote

I'm trying to study really hard so that I could get in to the 80s at least. But i don't really like UoITs Laptop program that they have...

@zaidpass wrote

Thank you for that, i read that thread. Can you ask your sister how much the fee for the laptop was? Because if i have to go to UoIT, I'm not really looking forward to renting it every year.
I'm not a genius for sure, haha. I do have a hand full of friends that never study or do homework, but they have a low-90 average. I'm sure of this because when the help me on my work they are usually playing xbox.
I play winger but my coach had to put me in as flanker, so now i'm trying to gain about 40-50lbs in the next year so i'll be around 185 then i'll cut till im 170.
So how is the UofT environment? alot of people say its extremely competitive and cut throat, like not the place to be looking to make friends lol but i never believed that.

@ktel wrote

Yea, i became aware of that during the end of my grade 11 year, so now im trying to get into the 80s at least. So does the uni i go to affect how fast i get a job after? because i hear people saying oh it matters alot, and others that say as long as you graduated it doesn't.

See what university you go to matters what job you get. Most importantly how well you do can get you a better job. If you love your university your going to be involved and will have a high gpa because you like what your doing. If your at a good university but you don't like the atmosphere you will jus be like mehh and your gpa won't be as high . When employers are hiring, they will see that you worked hard and have a high gpa. So it does not matter what university you go to.

It just your garunteed more if you go to a good university but sometimes its not worth it.

Often jobs are luck, so don't worry about jobs. Do what you like and what program you like. Jobs will come to you :)
Its easy as that.

Plus DO NOT MAKE MONEY AN ISSUE!

It is important to keep that in mind. Any university you go to will just eat your money. Hopefully you get internships and you will pay that all off , or some or most :)

If you make money an issue then you will get sad and it will consume your time. Time is valuble in university. Use it wisely and you will do well. UofT tuition is $12 grand, if you get sad thinking about money there is chance you can get into depression and fail. Then BAM there goes that 12 grand.

Universities are always trying to help out. The UoiT laptop is pretty expensive, but don't worry about that too much. Your bound to be broke :)

Unless you dont like their laptop based university, then def don't go into it. If your technologically friendly then its a welcoming university where as UofT is old school and laptops are def not needed in class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
You're one month into your first year and spewing a lot of worldly advice without the experience to back it up. Money is definitely an issue. Money always came into play when I was deciding what school to go to for undergrad and for grad, and I've come out debt free as a result. Money makes the world go round.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
You're one month into your first year and spewing a lot of worldly advice without the experience to back it up. Money is definitely an issue. Money always came into play when I was deciding what school to go to for undergrad and for grad, and I've come out debt free as a result. Money makes the world go round.

Money made me depressed, I had to commute everyday for 1.5 hours. All I did was sleep because I was exhausted and I fell behind so fast.

It is true, money does make the world go round, but it doesn't bring you happiness.

You can chase money , but then engineering isn't a good choice if you cared alot about money.

Why not go to Schulich pay $7000 (+rez which is another $6000) for tuition and make the same money as a uoft graduate who paid $12 500 for their tution (+ rez which is another $12000).

I'm just trying to help people out, so they don't make the mistakes I did. I had so much potential to go to other universities but I ended going to UofT only based on rankings. Stupid descision :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imaginaryengineer imaginaryengineer

@Supernovav wrote

Oh and i also play rugby in and out of school. And i might join 2 more sport teams.

So could anyone give me their opinions on where to apply to, and also which ones have a paid co-op

Stick with varsity rugby or the team your on at least for one semester then do something else second semester. Filling up your schedule with sports will not be fun when your heaped with assignments. You can do play varsity with good time management.

If you graduate with a degree in engineering and work experience I would be surprised if you couldnt find a decent job. There is nothing wrong with going to ryerson or guelph or anywhere else.

"So how is the UofT environment? alot of people say its extremely competitive and cut throat, like not the place to be looking to make friends lol but i never believed that."

THIS IS UNTRUE...we get drunk on weekends its great...I recommend you do not commute because it will be much harder. I say this because people who commute complain about it all the time its really annoying.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ Varsity rugby only lasts for the first 6 weeks of the year. Definitely quite manageable. Then you have off season training, but even non-varsity athletes are involved in sports or at least working out, so you should have time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank You everyone for your replies, but to the people talking about money, i have enough money saved up for about 2 years of tuition right now, and I can always apply for student loans right? and every university rep that i have spoken to has told me that their co-op or internship is paid. and it is a rather large amount, which students usually use to pay of their depts. i'm still trying to figure out what universities i will apply to.

How many did you guys apply to? and was anyone accepted later on from the waiting list?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted