yconic - Universities in Ontario for undergrad to grad
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Universities in Ontario for undergrad to grad

A photo of StressOfLife StressOfLife
Hello,
I am considering going for a Bachelor of Science then going for a pharmacy or dentistry school, or med. school. I am still deciding, but what i was wondering was, for example, UofT has a dentistry school and so does UWO. But would it be more beneficial to go for a bachelors in the same university that has a dentistry school. Do more people who get a bachelors of science in UofT and apply to UofT dentistry get into the school? Or is it better to go to another University for a bachelors, then apply to UofT's dentistry school? I was unsure about how important the location would be for an undergrad and needed some clarification please.
Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Where you go to for undergrad doesn't matter for professional school acceptances.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StressOfLife StressOfLife
If the undergrad university doesn't matter, then would it be more beneficial to go to a smaller university to get a higher mark then to go to a larger one where competition/bell curve will bring me down more. For example: Trent University (which i live closer to) compared to UofT or Western. How come others go to larger schools for Bachelor in sciences like UofT/Western than smaller ones like Trent?
Sorry for being a bit repetitive, but i just want to weigh the pros/cons of this all, Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Some people like the atmosphere of a larger school (more diversity, more people, more student clubs, more courses offered, more parties/events etc). For some people it's about the reputation of the school, ie. more pride in saying you go to U of T than in saying you go to Trent. It could also be about the location of the school too..I personally would never want to go to Lakehead/Nipissing/Trent/Ryerson/York regardless of their rep but just because of their location.

I don't think you should go to a small university just for that though (unless you want to go to Trent), an A student will be an A student regardless of if they go to Trent or U of T. Yes you might have to work harder in U of T but someone who wants to do well in school will succeed everywhere.
Was this helpful? Yes 0