yconic - Universities Trying to Balance Work Demographic by Turning Down Chinese?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Universities Trying to Balance Work Demographic by Turning Down Chinese?

A photo of mry021397 mry021397
I heard somewhere from a second hand source that if they can avoid it, universities are not accepting Chinese students. The reasoning for this is because the work force is aparently dominated by Chinese nowadays. I am a Canadian born Chinese and I'm not quite sure what to think of this. I cannot confirm that this information is true, as the original source of this information is unknown. I wanted to know what people thought of this. If anybody has any information to clarify this it would be much appreciated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Well, I don't really see that happening because we need skilled and educated individuals regardless of their background. It's true that International Students pay a lot for their education compared to students that are already domestic.

In my opinion whoever can perform a task effectively should be hired, none of this "oh foreigners are taking our jobs"

If people here are worried about Chinese dominating our work force then they should probably make themselves more competitive.

This is coming from a Canadian born citizen.

It's true that Chinese students are the most sent out in terms of receiving an education over seas.

[url]http://www.businessinsider.com/international-students-are-taking-over-the-us-education-system-2011-11[/url]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
In Canada, it is very rare to get asked your ancestry; this too applies to university admissions. As far as OUAC goes, your ancestry is never questioned, and a lot of the time all the universities likely get in the way of your personal information is your OUAC ID number, so they can't even guess your ancestry based on your name. I definitely call BS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I have heard that declaring yourself as Asian can impact university admissions in the states (for the top schools, obviously). In order to avoid over-representation these universities are supposedly only admitting a certain number of Asian candidates, and thus it is more competitive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uncharted1111 uncharted1111

@ktel wrote
I have heard that declaring yourself as Asian can impact university admissions in the states (for the top schools, obviously). In order to avoid over-representation these universities are supposedly only admitting a certain number of Asian candidates, and thus it is more competitive.

It's true, but only for top US schools where you basically have to submit your entire life story with your application.
[url]http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Some-Asians-college-strategy-Don-t-check-Asian-2342006.php#photo-1856714[/url]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of aimango aimango
Universities in Canada do not keep track of what ethnicity percentages there are at each school. We're different from the US.

Also when people apply, their name is usually separated from their application for the admissions people to decide whether to reject people or not. No matter what, there will be bias towards a name. So they remove this bias.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ElIipsis ElIipsis
In Canada, most schools do not take ethnicity into consideration, and you definitely see the influx of Asian people because of it. However, I think that being Asian has nothing to do with your academics and it's very ethnocentric to assume so. Maybe it's because of the Tiger Mom attitude Asian parents have, but it's not like Asians have a patent on being keeners (excuse my language) so everyone else is welcome to be one as well.

In the US, however, I remember declaring my ethnicity on a few applications namely Cornell, UVA and ... I think it was Stanford or Pepperdine. Only received one acceptance from those four - and I'd like to believe that I was rejected because I wasn't smart enough, not because of my background.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
In all honestly, it's probably true at some level informally, but that's with all things like this. People will tend to biased in certain ways towards certain people. At the same time, I feel that the information is mostly inaccurate as Canadian universities are quite ethnically diverse, and don't, at least explicitly, differentiate racially as American schools do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0