yconic - University Colleges at Waterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University Colleges at Waterloo

A photo of RML0245 RML0245
Hi :)

I've been looking at the University Colleges on Waterloo for residence. I want a social community and I'm from a small town, so the smaller setting appeals to me. The two I'm mostly considering are Conrad Grebel and St. Jerome's. If anyone has any opinions or insights they'd be much appreciated. Also, what are my chances of getting in?

Failing those options, what UW residence would you suggest. I did visit V1 and hated it, but I'm pretty open otherwise.

Thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of emilymegan emilymegan
I'm planning on going to Waterloo for Environment and Business and I also want to live in a University College: St. Pauls. Since it's the Living Learning community for the Faculty of Environment I think it would be really beneficial to have dons and roomates in the same programs as you, for help with studying and assignments and stuff.

The Knowledge and Integration program is from the Faculty of Environment right?? Because I know that if you check off that you want to live in a Living Learning Community on your residence form, you'll have a greater chance of getting into that residence. But that of course is for St. Pauls. But if you really have your heart set on the other two you mentioned, I don't know what your chances would be. St. Jeromes is mainly Arts oriented, so I don't think you would necessarily have a leg up there either.

Just research as much as you can! (I made a list of all the reasons why I liked St. Pauls, it helped me decide (: )
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RML0245 RML0245
Thanks for the reply :) I visited St. Paul's and didn't really like it. Plus, from talking to people in knowledge integration, it sounds like most people choose Conrad Grebel because there's a connection between it and the program. They all seem to love it. I think I'd find more KI students there than at St. Paul's. I also talked to a few KI students who stayed in St. Jerome's.

As for chances of getting in, Conrad Grebel has a separate admission process, so it's more based on your personality than any of the other residences.

Did you visit any of the residences? Did you get any impressions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@RML0245 wrote
Hi :)

I've been looking at the University Colleges on Waterloo for residence. I want a social community and I'm from a small town, so the smaller setting appeals to me. The two I'm mostly considering are Conrad Grebel and St. Jerome's. If anyone has any opinions or insights they'd be much appreciated. Also, what are my chances of getting in?

Failing those options, what UW residence would you suggest. I did visit V1 and hated it, but I'm pretty open otherwise.

Thank you!

It depends where you end up falling in the housing lottery, in terms of your chances. But you rank colleges vs. UW residences before you'd have to choose between, say, V1 and UWP.

Conrad Grebel is obviously separate from this, since an application is required and they are reasonably selective.

And if you disliked V1, you'd probably dislike all the residences except for MKV, CLV, and the colleges. The rest are pretty similar. Note that only the colleges have meal plans out of those choices.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emilymegan emilymegan

@RML0245 wrote
Thanks for the reply :) I visited St. Paul's and didn't really like it. Plus, from talking to people in knowledge integration, it sounds like most people choose Conrad Grebel because there's a connection between it and the program. They all seem to love it. I think I'd find more KI students there than at St. Paul's. I also talked to a few KI students who stayed in St. Jerome's.

As for chances of getting in, Conrad Grebel has a separate admission process, so it's more based on your personality than any of the other residences.

Did you visit any of the residences? Did you get any impressions?

I've visited campus lots of times, but I've only been in the more main residences.
UW Place was really sketchy I thought, it definitely wasn't the place for me.
I also toured Mackenzie King which is nice and new, but you'd have to live with three other people and I don't like th idea of that many strangers, haha.

I'm going to the March Break Open House and will certainly be touring St. Pauls to see if it's as good as I hope it will be. :)

You should get a tour if possible to see all the universtiy colleges you're interested in. It's the only way to make the best decision you can. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@emilymegan wrote
I've visited campus lots of times, but I've only been in the more main residences.
I also toured Mackenzie King which is nice and new, but you'd have to live with three other people and I don't like th idea of that many strangers, haha.

I'm going to the March Break Open House and will certainly be touring St. Pauls to see if it's as good as I hope it will be. :)

You should get a tour if possible to see all the universtiy colleges you're interested in. It's the only way to make the best decision you can. :)

UWP is really not that sketchy. My room (and my friends' rooms) at UWP are far less sketchy than most off-campus housing I've encountered. But the rooms are quite small. Granted, the hallways look a little outdated and spartan...

All of the colleges are quite nice. I've stayed in one of the guest rooms (similar to grad apartments) at St. Paul's, that was great. They are probably more what you'd expect from a college dorm. UWP/V1/REV are much more 60s-style and they do appear a bit aged, though they're actually pretty pleasant to live in.

Keep price in mind. MKV is extremely expensive (it costs more to live there in one room in a 4-person apartment than it does to live in my one bedroom apartment...) for what it is; the colleges are also a bit more expensive than most residences. Colleges, V1, and REV have mandatory meal plans. Those cost a *lot*.

If it wasn't for the required meal plan, I'd say that V1 is probably my favorite university residence :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Whinnie Whinnie

@emilymegan wrote

i felt the same way about UW Place too , xD; i think i'd like MKV better although , like greygoose said , it's the most expensive of all the residences , >_>; and i haven't really considered anything that isn't suite style because i don't know what to expect when sharing bathrooms with everyone on the same floor as me ... x_x; so right now my first choice , based on the residence flyer they sent me , is the suite-style dorm at Renison ... but maybe i'll change my mind when i see the other residences at the open house , ^^;
Was this helpful? Yes 0