yconic - University for Undergrad
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University for Undergrad

A photo of MevPan94 MevPan94
Hey,

I am currently a high school student in Mississauga, Ontario. My ultimate goal after completing my undergrad is to go to a law school, either here or in the US. I am interested in business and law and I have applied to a few business programs but I am not sure which one to pick. I have heard that Queens Commerce is a prestigious program but its hard to maintain a high GPA in. I have also received early acceptance from Laurier and Carleton for BBA and am waiting for a response from Western for Ivey. So far Queens is my top choice but will it be too hard to maintain a high enough GPA for law school? Would Laurier or Carleton be better in terms of getting high marks but also getting a pretty good education?

I would appreciate it if you guys could give me some advice on which school I should pick and which one would give me a good chance of getting into law school.

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of englishbuff englishbuff

@MevPan94 wrote
Hey,

I am currently a high school student in Mississauga, Ontario. My ultimate goal after completing my undergrad is to go to a law school, either here or in the US. I am interested in business and law and I have applied to a few business programs but I am not sure which one to pick. I have heard that Queens Commerce is a prestigious program but its hard to maintain a high GPA in. I have also received early acceptance from Laurier and Carleton for BBA and am waiting for a response from Western for Ivey. So far Queens is my top choice but will it be too hard to maintain a high enough GPA for law school? Would Laurier or Carleton be better in terms of getting high marks but also getting a pretty good education?

I would appreciate it if you guys could give me some advice on which school I should pick and which one would give me a good chance of getting into law school.

Thanks

Are you set on applying to business school? because I'm sure you know that there is no set major when applying to law school after your undergrad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ya I'm pretty set on business school right now
Its something I enjoy and am also good at
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MevPan94 wrote
Ya I'm pretty set on business school right now
Its something I enjoy and am also good at

Well I would have to say that business is a harder major to achieve higher marks in as compared to some social science majors and the competitive factor of getting into a business school is influenced. What's your average right now? if you don't mind me asking..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It was a 96 last year and so far this year it seems to be the same. Do you think I will be able to pull off a good enough gpa in a commerce program, particularly queens?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MevPan94 wrote
It was a 96 last year and so far this year it seems to be the same. Do you think I will be able to pull off a good enough gpa in a commerce program, particularly queens?

That's pretty good. Of course there are other factors but if you have leadership oriented extra-curriculars that you can write about on your PSE and supplementary essay, maintain your average, I think you have a pretty good chance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey
I just received my offer of admission to Queens today so I'm almost fully set on going there. Just to clarify one last time, do you think its a good idea to go ahead with it or not?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@MevPan94 wrote
Hey
I just received my offer of admission to Queens today so I'm almost fully set on going there. Just to clarify one last time, do you think its a good idea to go ahead with it or not?

You really are going to base your decision on some other high school student's opinion?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@MevPan94 wrote
Hey

If you want to go to Queens, go there. Stay focused. Work hard. It's all up to you. There will be partying, clubbing, bad people, good people, distractions, profs who support you, profs who don't care. In the end, if you want to go to law school, you will.

I want to go to law school too and focusing hard because I know where I want to be in my life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brandonholmes brandonholmes
I've heard Queen's Commerce is a fantastic program. I also visited Queen's in July and it was really quite a beautiful campus, lots of old architecture and the business building was awesome. Wait for your other acceptances and weigh your options. With great programs like this, you really can't go wrong.

As it pertains to law, most say it doesn't matter where you go and what you study, as long as your GPA is high and your LSAT is well-written. I say go wherever you feel you'll be getting an education that suits you. I applied to two Psychology programs because the subject interests me and I like the schools. Law school is four years away, don't view this as a stepping stone, but as an important time in your life. You should enjoy it.

Good luck my friend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WTP1186 WTP1186
In law school admissions, all marks are treated the same: that means, a fourth year calculus course weighs the same as a first year introduction to sociology course when OLSAS calculates your overall GPA. Achieving a high GPA in a business program is very difficult and even if you're in the top five percent of your class in a business program, you may not be competitive when compared with students who graduated from the social sciences.

Some schools look at your last two full years for admission purposes, others look at all four years.

IMO, I would have taken a social sciences program and applied to a law school that has the MBA and Law joint degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0