yconic - University HELP...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University HELP...

A photo of Mag Mag
So with all acquired information, so far im sure that im applying to York - biochem, biomed, biotech, and Ryerson - biomed engineering.
Although with my averages, im really scared i won't get accepted...
Midterms:
bio - 67%
chem - 78%
advanced functions - 65%
biotech - 85%
So i had a total average of around 73%

With this said, i really don't know what the chances are of me getting accepted now. I neeed to get into Life Sciences because that is the only faculty that truly interests me, and the only one i picture myself in.

I know york is a pretty good university, ryerson, kind of bad from what i hear, but these are the only Universities in Toronto apart from U of T (which im not even going to bother applying for). My question is, what are my chances of actually getting accepted into these programs ?

I was also considering applying to some universities outside Toronto, and was wondering which ones have a good reputation in the science area, yet have a chance in accepting me ?

Any advice would be really appreciated
Thanks for your time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of Nyx Nyx
York: for biology, the entrance average is "high 70s"
Rye: for bio, entrance avg is 71-73
http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/program-details.php?pcode=0_190212_658_0 --york
http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/program-details.php?pcode=0_190205_759_0 --ryerson

I can't think of any outside toronto with an entering avg around yours. Guelph maybe?
You should definitely use the einfo areas of study chart --> http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/degree.php

If your avg is around the entering average, you have a pretty good shot at getting in.
Hope i helped
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AbinahTee AbinahTee
I think you have a definite chance of getting into York and Ryerson, try going on einfo they provide a lot of information on a lot of different programs. Life sciences is however really competitive, and everyone applies to York! I'm applying there to! Hopefully we make it (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of adrover adrover
Maybe if you stay at your current university for another semester and get really high grades, you can pull up your cumulative GPA and have a better chance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of azcante azcante
Why are your marks so low?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of totalquality totalquality
Definitely still apply to those. If you want a backup plan...the University of Waterloo is very reputable in terms of their science programs. Also Laurier, although it's not exactly known for the sciences, has a strong, intimate science faculty where you'll have a chance to do research and get to know your professors. They have a Biochem/tech program where you get your BSc, but you also attend Conestoga College for a certain amount of time and get hands on training resulting in a Biotechnician's diploma.

Many of the universities (I'll use UWaterloo as my example) also have a procedure where if you don't get into the program you wanted, they'll give you an alternate offer. Say I applied to Biochemistry at UW, and my marks weren't high enough. They might offer me Honours Science (an open, undeclared Honours BSc program which doesn't require as high marks) with an option to "shadow" biochemistry (you take the first-year biochem courses without being tied down to it, and can declare it as your HS major at the end of first or second year, OR possibly switch into the actual Biochem program later).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of peace871 peace871
it depends what program you apply to. I had about ur grades and i got accepted into mcgill in nursing and in occupational therapy.
engineering is pretty easy to get into at mcgill aslo. i.e. you don't need high grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shesoartsy shesoartsy

@Mag wrote
So with all acquired information, so far im sure that im applying to York - biochem, biomed, biotech, and Ryerson - biomed engineering.
Midterms:
bio - 67%
chem - 78%
advanced functions - 65%
biotech - 85%

With this said, i really don't know what the chances are of me getting accepted now. I neeed to get into Life Sciences because that is the only faculty that truly interests me, and the only one i picture myself in.

I know york is a pretty good university, ryerson, kind of bad from what i hear, but these are the only Universities in Toronto apart from U of T (which im not even going to bother applying for). My question is, what are my chances of actually getting accepted into these programs ?

I was also considering applying to some universities outside Toronto, and was wondering which ones have a good reputation in the science area, yet have a chance in accepting me ?

Thanks for your time.

work really hard to get your grades up because right now you will not be accepted to any of the schools you applied. apply to uoit as a back up if you have any doubts because i know people who got in with 69.8% averages (shocking i know !!!) but please do work hard and stop whatever nonsense that you are doing that is preventing you from achieving better grades

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@azcante wrote
Why are your marks so low?

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shesoartsy shesoartsy
you meet the admission requirement for uoit. apply there then transfer after first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
When I applied to Ryerson for first year sciences I was accepted and they stated on their acceptance form that the required average for me to maintain was in the mid 60's. However, I would reccomend checking the school out first. They have a very structured science program (when I toured they told us first year science students needed to take computer programing classes and got no electives; just something to keep in mind).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stratosfear Stratosfear
I hate to tell you this, but most people's marks drop in university. If you do get in then you'll have to work even harder just to keep your marks where they are.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26
You're only going to run into trouble in university if you can't get your s**t together in grade 12. If your average is only 73%, consider doing a victory lap year and building up better work habits. The idea of returning to high school may sound horrible at first, but once you let it sink in, it's not that bad. My marks were total crap in grade 12 (68% avg) because my laziness was unbelievable back then, but I pulled my socks up in my victory lap year (94% avg) and now I have an A average in my second year at Western.

It would be a really big mistake to go to a random school like UOIT just for the sake of going to a university next year... Unless you've been peaking at about a 73% average throughout high school, then yeah, apply for and accept anything. If you know you can do better, then you're just cheating yourself by going to any crappy school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FF FF
My suggestion would be to apply to York and Ryerson at the very least. Some Universities still accept students if they do not get into their choice program, the catch is that the Unviersity will place you in a program that they deem appropriate. You will then have the opportunity to switch out of that program after first year.

Your second option, if unsuccessful is to stay back another year and pull up your grades. It's not as bad as it sounds. Doing an OAC is an excellent opportunity to not only ensure you get into your program of choice, but also get better scholarships! (higher grades = better scholarships = less money out of your pocket)

Hope that helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
If you're thinking of applying to any universities outside of the easy coast, might want to think about U of A.
They don't have a "life sciences" program per se, but they have a very good science program with many choices of majors/minors.
Their admission average is only in the low 70's, so you would have a good chance of getting in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You also don't have to go to university right away
I think it's a good idea to look at colleges, I applied to one and am planning to go to it even if I get into the universities I applied for. Those are just kind of to see if I can get in and just in case I change my mind.
It's better to have more options...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think I heard Guelph has good life sciences, especially if you want to go into ecology? Something like that =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Shemi123 Shemi123
Based on your mark you can still get accepted in Ryerson. However, you still have one semester left. So, focus on that and try to raise your average. Then hopefully you can get accepted in York too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Mag wrote
Midterms:
bio - 67%
chem - 78%
advanced functions - 65%
biotech - 85%

Thanks for your time.

Dude, unless you got your marks by skipping 3 out of 4 classes, don't go to university. Apply to colleges instead. I'm not being mean or anything, I'm saving you $5,000 of wasted tuition money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@Xiaohaha wrote
Dude, unless you got your marks by skipping 3 out of 4 classes, don't go to university. Apply to colleges instead. I'm not being mean or anything, I'm saving you $5,000 of wasted tuition money.

Dang, that's a little harsh. =/
I know people who went to university with a 70% average and are still doing fine. Not a waste of money.

Don't give up, you still have one semester to try to raise your marks.
You can always retake courses in night school as well.
Or try applying for some smaller universities that aren't so "well known". U of T, Waterloo, McMaster, Queen's, UWO, McGill.. Those ones would be tough with your marks if you don't improve on them, but you may have a chance at smaller, not as well-known universities.. maybe Laurier? Laurentian? Ottawa? Trent? No idea what their requirements are, just throwing it out there!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ashleymacedo ashleymacedo
I think you'll get in. But once you're in, don't slack off, cause THEN it'll be a waste of money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zapman111 zapman111
your marks are pretty low man
Was this helpful? Yes 0