yconic - University Noob
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University Noob

A photo of JFreakkJello JFreakkJello
I am currently in grade 11, and I'm a somewhat afraid of what is going on in universities. I have no idea how it works. What are the grades? Do you get to choose when certain classes would start? Should I get a job? Where should I live (ie on campus or residence)? I don't know a lot of people that are in university to tell me their experiences...so can someone explain these things more clearly to me? Also, if you can...tell me how you survived... :)
(I think I have too much pressure on myself...)
Thanks! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If no troll...

@JFreakkJello wrote
I am currently in grade 11, and I'm a somewhat afraid of what is going on in universities.

ids are learning. And consuming "beverages", and attending parties where they play fun games.

I have no idea how it works.

rofessors teach you stuff.

What are the grades?[/QUOTE]They will use a GPA (Grade Point Average) scale, some are out of 4 and some 12, and some combine that with an alpha, numeric or percentage scale. See this link for some details, and google for any other questions. http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/education-planning/virtual-resources/gpa-conversion-chart

Do you get to choose when certain classes would start?

o a certain extent. Some classes will only have one or two times, some programs set up your schedule for you, but usually you have some say in course times. You could try to get Fridays off for example.
[QUOTE]Should I get a job?

n the summers? Yes (unless you go into co-op). During the year? Depends on the program. A part-time job would be manageable for most people in most programs. ARMY101 has like 3 full-time jobs while going to university, so it is doable.

Where should I live (ie on campus or residence)?

esidence is on-campus really. Usually there is people who 1) stay on rez 2) stay at home and commute 3) rent an apartment off-campus nearby. The answer is it really depends. Most people stay on rez first year.

I don't know a lot of people that are in university to tell me their experiences...so can someone explain these things more clearly to me? Also, if you can...tell me how you survived... :)
(I think I have too much pressure on myself...)
Thanks! :)

Others in university can share their experiences.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
Here is my view on the basics of university:

Courses

Your classes will be different from high school. There will be more people, and each course will probably be between 2 and 4 times a week. Courses will all have a lecture component, and could possibly have one or both of tutorials and labs.

Lectures are exactly that. Don't expect profs to give you handouts and answer questions in class. As much as they want to help you (most of the time) with your schoolwork, this is not the time. They will teach you the material here. Find them or your teaching assistant outside of class if you want help with questions.

Tutorials are where your TA will go over some examples with you. These can be hit and miss. Your TA is usually a grad student, so you get good ones and lousy ones. C'est la vie.

Labs are where you do experiments (usually) or where you have assignments to do. These totally depend on what course you're taking.

Social Life

This depends on where you live. I lived on campus in residence, and thus campus was my life. I spent all my time there. There's everything you need, from the gym to the dining centre to all your residence friends' "houses". You'll be immersed in everything campus has to offer...guest speakers, extra curriculars etc. It's a brand new style of life. You'll be constantly surrounded by other students who are thinking and working towards a degree like you.
If you life off campus, it all depends on how much you want to get involved in university. You could make it a lot like highschool if that makes you happy.

If you want more, just ask.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

threepointonefour pretty much covered it. Uni is a great experience, and theres actually not a point of people just telling you about it until you actually experience it.

you get a lot more independence (unless youre still gonna live at home : P ) but you also gotta manage that. theres no one there to spoonfeed you anymore.

but i say - just relax and enjoy your final year of high school and dont worry too much til next year xD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
It's a bit early to start worrying. Don't sweat it, it's not as hard as you seem to think it is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
I don't know about university (next September) but grade 12 was so much easier than I thought. Now looking back at it from May time, it was a joke. I was so worried about grade 12...not worth the stress.
Was this helpful? Yes 0