yconic - University of Alberta Science Faculty High School Requirement
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University of Alberta Science Faculty High School Requirement

A photo of aquarius aquarius
Hi there ,

kinda confused with their Ontario student requirement for Science faculty unless I am understanding it incorrectly.

In September , I will taking Calculus, Chem and Bio
other optional subjects taking in Sept: Writers Craft ,Exercise Science and Family Studies .Bringing the total of 6 subjects I will taking at school in sept.

Currently , I am doing in summer school : Advanced Functions and English (in August) .

Is there a 6th compulsory subject ? I also have already done in Grade 11 : Psych AP (Challenge and Change), AP Economics (not planning to use as my top 6) .

My understanding from their site the top 6 I can use is : Bio, Chem, Calculus, AF, English .Which above would fall under the 6th
subject ???

Thanking in advance
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
No they don't use a top 6, they use 5 subjects.

From this: http://www.science.ualberta.ca/ProspectiveStudents/AdmissiontoScience/AdmissionRequirements.aspx\
and: http://www.registrarsoffice.ualberta.ca/Undergraduate-Admissions/Requirements/Entry-Level-Equivalents/Ontario.aspx

English Language Arts 30-1 = One of English (ENG4U), Studies in Literature (ETS4U) or Anglais (EAE4U)
Pure Mathematics 30 = Advanced Functions (MHF4U)
One of: Biology 30, Chemistry 30, Physics 30, Computer Science (CSE) Advanced Level or Mathematics 31 = Biology (SBI4U), Chemistry (SCH4U), Physics (SPH4U), Computer Studies (ICS4U) or Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U)
One of: Biology 30, Chemistry 30, Physics 30, Computer Science (CSE) Advanced Level or Mathematics 31
One subject at the 30-level in either Humanities, Science or Fine Arts = all the courses listed under Group A or Group B in the second link

So you would use English and AF definitely. For the next two requirements you could choose two of Bio, Chem or Calculus. For the final requirement you could choose one of the unused courses of Bio, Chem, or Calculus that you didn't choose or Writers Craft or Econ. Exercise Science, Psych, or Family Studies doesn't appear to be specifically mentioned under the U of A link I provided
Was this helpful? Yes 0