yconic - University of Alberta students: Do you take 5 courses or 4 courses per semester?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University of Alberta students: Do you take 5 courses or 4 courses per semester?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I will be going into the UoA next year into Science and plan to apply for Business in 2nd year after completing the prerequisite courses. I'm just curious, do most UoA students take 5 courses in fall then 5 in the winter, or 4 in fall then 4 in winter then 2 in summer? Cause I was told you need 10 per year.

I'm not sure which is best.

Courses I plan to take are: ENGL 121, ENGL 122, MATH 114, STAT 151, ASTRO 120, PHYS 124, PSYCO 104, BIOL 107, ECON 101, ECON 102

Also, if I don't get accepted into Business, then I guess I'll just stay with Science. Maybe I'll go into Medicine and Dentistry even.

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
25 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
5 in fall, 5 in winter is considered a full course load, and that is what most students do. If you really want to get into med/dent, then I'd highly suggest taking a full course load. Med/dent schools look negatively on anything less than a full course load.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Flooks Flooks
I've already gotten admission at UofA, but its not my first choice, should i just sign up for courses just in case? I think ill know where im going within this week or the next.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@Flooks wrote
I've already gotten admission at UofA, but its not my first choice, should i just sign up for courses just in case? I think ill know where im going within this week or the next.

You should.
I got offered Early Admission into Science and the first day I got to register was April 14th, but by then..
ALL the BIOL 107 courses were full except for the MWF 8 AM one so I'm stuck with that now.

But hey to the OP - might see you in some classes if I end up going.
I plan to take ENGL 121 or 122 (forgot which I chose), MATH 114, and BIOL 107 first semester too!

I actually only chose 4 classes right now for each semester, but I'm still deciding on an elective.. possibly French.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Flooks wrote

Congrats, I got my early admission too. I just added all the courses I'll be taking into my planner, and I'll enroll in them after a few of my emails with question get replied hopefully soon. If you're not sure if you'll get accepted into your other choices then maybe it's a good idea to just enroll in the courses. Cause if you end up not going, nothing will happen and you will automatically be removed from the courses. Good luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote

@Flooks wrote

You should.

I got offered Early Admission into Science and the first day I got to register was April 14th, but by then..
ALL the BIOL 107 courses were full except for the MWF 8 AM one so I'm stuck with that now.

I plan to take ENGL 121 or 122 (forgot which I chose), MATH 114, and BIOL 107 first semester too!

I actually only chose 4 classes right now for each semester, but I'm still deciding on an elective.. possibly French.

Omg, really? all I did was add the courses to my planner, I haven't enrolled in them yet? wow, I didn't expect the courses to be full so quick, it's only a little over a week from the enrollment start....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KittShelby wrote

@cyynthiia wrote

@Flooks wrote

You should.

Omg, really? all I did was add the courses to my planner, I haven't enrolled in them yet? wow, I didn't expect the courses to be full so quick, it's only a little over a week from the enrollment start....

When you look on your planner..
look on the right right column, does it show a green dot?
If it's yellow - it's full.
They might have added new sections, but I enrolled the first day they opened it and half the courses I wanted were full so I had to rearrange my schedule around.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote

@Flooks wrote

You should.

Ok, one more thing. So I've just checked the Biol 107 and you're right. Only a few of the Lab courses are available, no more lectures. So what am I suppose to do now, I'm confused? Does that mean I can't take Biol 107 in 1st year now?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KittShelby wrote

@cyynthiia wrote

@Flooks wrote

You should.

Ok, one more thing. So I've just checked the Biol 107 and you're right. Only a few of the Lab courses are available, no more lectures. So what am I suppose to do now, I'm confused? Does that mean I can't take Biol 107 in 1st year now?

Nopeeee.
Did you go to the Registration 101 thing?! They answered all these questions! Jeeze! hahah
They said that they will open more sections as soon as the ones available now fill up,
So wait a bit and they should have more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Sorry for all the question Cynthia, but here's one more. In the list of available times for a course, under the tab "Section" it says Lec A1, Lec A2, etc. what does the A1, A2, or Q1, and those mean? I know Lec means lecture and lab is just lab.

thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KittShelby wrote
Sorry for all the question Cynthia, but here's one more. In the list of available times for a course, under the tab "Section" it says Lec A1, Lec A2, etc. what does the A1, A2, or Q1, and those mean? I know Lec means lecture and lab is just lab.

thanks

I don't think it means anything.
If I remember correctly..
If you look on the campus map
and look for the grid coordinates of A1.. that's where the building for the Lab/Lecture/Seminar should be.

I don't mind the questions, keep em coming. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

you know for english, even though all the seats show 0/40 or whatever, they are all marked as full??? why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KittShelby wrote
you know for english, even though all the seats show 0/40 or whatever, they are all marked as full??? why?

Ahahah you're thinking opposite.
0/40 means there's 0 seats left.
Not that there's no one enrolled.
:P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thanks a lot cynthia, i don't know what i'd do without you lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You're welcome.
Your sarcasm is much appreciated too!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Just have to say this but, WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!! CANUCKS BEAT BLACKHAWKS IN GAME 7 OVERTIME, NOW HEADING INTO NEXT ROUND WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

...just wondering, when I move to emdonton to go to UoA, do you think I'll get jumped for cheering for the Vancouver Canucks instead of the Edmonton Oilers?

OMG WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! CANUCKS FOR STANLEY CUP !!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KittShelby wrote
Just have to say this but, WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!! CANUCKS BEAT BLACKHAWKS IN GAME 7 OVERTIME, NOW HEADING INTO NEXT ROUND WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

...just wondering, when I move to emdonton to go to UoA, do you think I'll get jumped for cheering for the Vancouver Canucks instead of the Edmonton Oilers?

OMG WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! CANUCKS FOR STANLEY CUP !!!!!

+11111
Cheering for my hometown is the way to go.
Deff on my good side. :D
Nashville, get ready to loseeeee ;)
Where are you from?
I know some pretty die hard Oilers fans too so EHHH.. who knows.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote

@KittShelby wrote

+11111
Cheering for my hometown is the way to go.
Deff on my good side. :D
Nashville, get ready to loseeeee ;)
Where are you from?
I know some pretty die hard Oilers fans too so EHHH.. who knows.

Vancouver....hence Canucks. lol. Where are you from? Btw, even though I'll have to live in Edmonton for like 4 years, I promise to myself that I will never switch to cheer for the Oilers. Canucks forever!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KittShelby wrote
Vancouver....hence Canucks. lol. Where are you from? Btw, even though I'll have to live in Edmonton for like 4 years, I promise to myself that I will never switch to cheer for the Oilers. Canucks forever!!

Another Vancouverite, sweeet. :D
I'm from Vancouver too!
HEYYY, WERE YOU AT THE REGISTRATION 101 THING?
LOL that would be scary if you were, I could have met you but had no idea.
Yeah I was just thinking that yesterday.. regardless of where I go, I'm always going to root for the Canucks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm a Leafs fan living in Edmonton (well, not now, but for the school year). As much as the Leafs suck, the Oilers suck even more, so I have no reason to cheer for the Oilers. I like seeing them lose just because then my Oilers-fan friends are more hesitant to say the Leafs suck. Plus I like hearing their excuses for the Oilers' crappiness.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have one more questions that not really related to the original question. For UoA students, is 10 minutes enough travel time to get to your next class. Because I scheduled most of my classes so there are 10 mintues in between. I don't want to wait 80 minutes doing nothing till the next class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That would be a good question to ask Matt.
I haven't been to the campus myself so I wouldn't be able to say.
I think it'd be sufficient enough, but again, ask Matt. :P

P.S. CANUCKSSSS <3333
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If you have to go from one end of campus to the other, then you might have to walk fast, but you probably won't actually have to make that kind of trip. I really wouldn't be concerned. When you're making your schedule, don't worry about distance between classes right away. If when making your schedule, you find you have a choice between classROOMS, THEN look at a campus map and see which classroom/building is closest to the building you have the class before in. Really, that has never been a concern of mine, and I've never had a problem not being able to get to a class because of the distance between classrooms.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have a question that's not relevant to the original question but I don't want to start another thread so I'll just ask this here.

So I just want to know if 1st year english courses( ENGL 121 and ENGL 122) are mandatory/a requirement? like could I take it in 2nd year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Mandatory for business students?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted