yconic - University of Alberta
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University of Alberta

A photo of frozenyogurt frozenyogurt
It's not so well known to Ontario high school students, but it is a well-known research powerhouse, which is a key ingredient to being considered prestigious. While U of T, McGill, and UBC are indisputably the top 3 schools in Canada on an international rankings scale, U of A is usually slotted as the #4.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
It's not so well known to Ontario high school students, but it is a well-known research powerhouse, which is a key ingredient to being considered prestigious. While U of T, McGill, and UBC are indisputably the top 3 schools in Canada on an international rankings scale, U of A is usually slotted as the #4.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I think of the fabulous undergraduate education I received there and the experiences I had. As said above, U of A gets ignored a lot on this forum (by high school students in Ontario) but is certainly not ignored in rankings
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Definitely not as well known, but still pretty reputable. U of A was my top choice, I had my mind so set on going but needless to say, I ended up getting stuck here at UBC. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I think part of the reason that U of A is not considered nearly as prestigious as its close rivals in international rankings (U of T, McGill, UBC) is because U of A does not have high admission standards. People can get into most programs with mid-70 averages. At schools like U of T, McGill, UBC, as well as Queen's and Western, almost no one has an average less than 80%, and a few programs at those schools have cut-offs in the high 80s.

A lot of the same reason why most people would consider Stanford more prestigious than U of T, even though U of T has outranked Cornell in international rankings. I mean quality of education doesn't vary significantly between universities, but the calibre of students certainly does. I wouldn't expect a Cornell grad to have received a considerably better education than a Lakehead grad, but I know that a Cornell grad would very likely have been a smarter person to begin with and is very likely still the smarter person.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Not that it isn't reputable or anything, its just I find it very hard to justify moving out of the province. UofA and UBC have great programs, but if I'm interested in Engineering, why wouldn't I just go to Waterloo or UofT? If they had a unique program that I was interested in, I would definitely consider it. I'm still contemplating applying to McGill for architecture (again, out of province), because the program is highly reputable, and architecture programs are pretty scarce in the province. Either way, it's a real pain moving more than 3+ hours away from home, so unless I'm getting something unique I wouldn't want to move that far out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katraa Katraa
It's ranked 4th in Canada and quite good for engineering in oil and mining industries. It's not that hard to get into Alberta and they usually give out acceptances quite early in the year, like now. It isn't prestigous when compared to schools to UBC, UT and so forth, and definitely wouldn't be known internationally. It's still somewhat famous, probably moreso in Alberta than the rest of Canada. It has a pretty good reputation and was consistantly ranked in the top 10 for all of categories of MacLean's uni rankings (e.g. Leaders of Tomorrow, Highest Quality etc.) The downside is that there's no direct entrance into the Business program, and you have to transfer in in your 2nd year+. Which is quite a hassle since you have to move and so forth unless you live in Edmonton and completed the pre-requisites or live in Calgary and attend the Calgary Centre campus.

Also the weather is a bit extreme there and theres nothing interesting around there. In my opinion anyways

Was this helpful? Yes 0