yconic - University of Guelph Admissions......
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University of Guelph Admissions......

A photo of ajune ajune
I was wondering if you guys think I have a chance of being accepted to University of Guelph's Computer Engineering program. The only problem is I don't know how to calculate the average of my top 6 courses because I only have 4 courses completed so far. And they said they use the top 6 courses on there website.
So my question is, which grade 11 courses will they use for calculation of the top 6 courses?

The pre-requisites for the program are:
Calcular and Vectors (Taking, THIS SEMESTER)
Advanced Functions (ALREADY TAKEN Last Semester)
English (Already Taken last semester)
Chemistry (Already Taken last semester)
Physics (Taking, THIS SEMESTER)
Any other U/M course (Already taken last semester)

So seeing that I only have 4 grade 12 courses, what grade 11 courses (2 courses) will they use for calculation of the top 6 courses?

And do I have a chance of getting accepted into the program? The admission average stated was 76% - 80&.
MY AVERAGE FOR the 4 grade 12 courses is 80.75%. THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE THE 2 OTHER COURSES NEEDED, Because I DO NOT KNOW WHAT GRADE 11 COURSES they WILL USE, WHICH is one of my questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of redrose55 redrose55
If you have some of the 12U courses completed and currently enrolled in the other prerequisites, then they will use a combination of your completed 12/11 U courses. In terms of which ones they'll calculate? Most likely the ones that are closest to prerequisites.
To make this clearer say they require 12U physics and you're currently taking it, if you completed 11U physics last year, they'll use that sort of as a "substitute" for your 12U physics mark..but only for now. If you don't have an 11U course that's closely related to the 12U course required, then they will most likely just take your highest 11U marks regardless of what they were (as long as their U/M). If your marks exceed the cutoff you will receive an offer. If it's competitive, they will wait till your mid-term marks come in.

If you average is what you say it is, you can look forward to an acceptance around the end of this month to early April since it meets the cut-off and in early April they send out offers to those who are at the top of the cut-off range (this would include you!)
That being said, don't slack off if you receive an offer before your midterm marks are in..because they can take back their offer if your average drops and they reach over-capacity in terms of seats available by the end of the year (it's happened with people I know). So to secure your offer which I'm positive you will get, make sure your mid-term marks are in the 80's range (no mark below an 79 to be safe).
Sorry for the lengthy answer & good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ajune ajune

@redrose55 wrote
If you have some of the 12U courses completed and currently enrolled in the other prerequisites, then they will use a combination of your completed 12/11 U courses. In terms of which ones they'll calculate? Most likely the ones that are closest to prerequisites.
To make this clearer say they require 12U physics and you're currently taking it, if you completed 11U physics last year, they'll use that sort of as a "substitute" for your 12U physics mark..but only for now. If you don't have an 11U course that's closely related to the 12U course required, then they will most likely just take your highest 11U marks regardless of what they were (as long as their U/M). If your marks exceed the cutoff you will receive an offer. If it's competitive, they will wait till your mid-term marks come in.

If you average is what you say it is, you can look forward to an acceptance around the end of this month to early April since it meets the cut-off and in early April they send out offers to those who are at the top of the cut-off range (this would include you!)
That being said, don't slack off if you receive an offer before your midterm marks are in..because they can take back their offer if your average drops and they reach over-capacity in terms of seats available by the end of the year (it's happened with people I know). So to secure your offer which I'm positive you will get, make sure your mid-term marks are in the 80's range (no mark below an 79 to be safe).

Thanks so much for the long answer, you really answered all my questions. I jushe have one more small question, I understand what you said about physics but, what about calculas. Since I also have calculas, which is a prerequisite, this semester what grade 11 mark do you think will correspond to it.
Would they just choose my highest gr 11 mark? I don't think will choose gr 11 fuctions because I already completed gr 12 advanced functions. So what do you think they will consider?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@ajune wrote

@redrose55 wrote

Thanks so much for the long answer, you really answered all my questions. I jushe have one more small question, I understand what you said about physics but, what about calculas. Since I also have calculas, which is a prerequisite, this semester what grade 11 mark do you think will correspond to it.
Would they just choose my highest gr 11 mark? I don't think will choose gr 11 fuctions because I already completed gr 12 advanced functions. So what do you think they will consider?

The 2nd next round of admission is in early April. They will use a combination of the top 6 completed OR in-progress 4U/M and 3U/M courses including required subjects. Since Calculus is a pre req , they will use the in-progress mark at that time.

The final offer is in Mid-May and they will use top 6 completed or in-progress 4U/M courses including required subjects.
Was this helpful? Yes 0