yconic - University of Guelph and Applying to Medical School
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University of Guelph and Applying to Medical School

A photo of bschmidt3209 bschmidt3209
Hello. I am a student accepted into both a biochemistry program at Western and Guelph. Despite Western's well known reputation, especially for medical sciences, I am leaning towards Guelph. This is because I am accepted into their biochemistry co-op program. If I do not get into medical school, or decided for some reason not to apply, I would be very interested in medical research. Therefore, I think the co-op would be a very good option, both for experience and some extra money. I was wondering if I decided to do the co-op program if I could apply for medical school in my fourth year and get in and attend without completing my last academic term. Thanks for all your help :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Massy06 Massy06
wat's the question?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Sorry. The question is: can I apply to a medical school and have a chance of getting accepted if I am in my fourth year of a co-op program and have not completed my last academic term (one more semester in the following fall). Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
^ Are you sure you'd still have a semester left after fourth year? If so, then you'd probably only be able to apply to start the Fall following that last semester, unless you chose not to complete your degree (which is possible; remember: you don't need a degree to get into med school).

The reputation of the school is really not that important, especially when we're talking about marginal differences like Western vs Guelph. Co-op is definitely a nice kicker. Guelph seems like the right choice for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you very much. I didn't think you had to finish your degree but with constantly changing policies (I remember the first time I looked at pharmacy you needed one year, now you need two), I just wanted to make sure. And I would be fine without finishing my degree but the whole idea of going there and the co-op give me a great back up option if I don't get accepted. I definitely think Guelph is the right option. Thanks so much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
You're welcome.

Medicine requirements are actually getting more relaxed; pharmacy requirements are gradually becoming more and more strict.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Massy06 Massy06
most med schools ask u to have some prereq courses and atleast 3 yrs of full time school or a selected # of full time courses.I know queen's want 3 full yrs, and u of t looks at ur first two yrs(B+ aleast) or last to yrs marks(A- aleast). U ottawa says if u took two full work terms for co-op in one year then that year doesn't count, since u wouldn't have any chances to do any school term courses. MOst med schools want alest three yrs i think and not all schools look at ur mcat test. Queen's, u of t, and mac looks at mcat but mac only looks at the verbal mark( aleast a 6 on this). Mac health sci ppl r lucky( thoses bastards!) cuz some of their test are verbal so they have good prep(that's wat i heard). go here http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/page.php?id=47
good luck at guelph
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

@bschmidt3209 wrote
Thank you very much. I didn't think you had to finish your degree but with constantly changing policies (I remember the first time I looked at pharmacy you needed one year, now you need two), I just wanted to make sure. And I would be fine without finishing my degree but the whole idea of going there and the co-op give me a great back up option if I don't get accepted. I definitely think Guelph is the right option. Thanks so much.

It depends on which medical school you are applying to. Some schools (like Western) require a 4 year honours degree or equivalent. Other medical schools (Calgary, Alberta) allow you to enter medical school after only 3 years of university. Other schools (although these are incredibly rare) will accept exceptional students after only 2 years of university.

I know a lot of people who applied to the medical schools that they were eligible for when going into third year, figuring that even if they weren't accepted, if they received an interview or two, it would give them some interview experience so that they would be better prepared when applying the following year. A few lucky ones were accepted as third years.

So definitely check with the medical schools you will eventually be interested in. Each school has its own policies.

(And I know someone who graduated from Guelph with a degree in biological engineering, who went on to medical school, so it is definitely possible to get into med school with a degree from Guelph).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of biosci biosci
You can do a semester in the summer and graduate early. A friend of mine is in her 3rd year of the biochemistry co-op at Guelph. Are you aware of our facebook group starting class of 2015? Message me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0