yconic - University of Ottawa-Biomedical Sciences (Extended French Stream)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University of Ottawa-Biomedical Sciences (Extended French Stream)

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey Everyone!

Just wondering, is this program good? I know Ottawa has a medical school, but is it worth taking this course in French especially if I want to go to med school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Mas40 Mas40
Biomed is one of uOttawa's best programs, and probably the most competetive one as well, only a 100 acceptances/year.

..and about the french immersion part,remember, french is canada's second language, and is very significant. Many high positions are avialable when you are bilingual, so its a good thing, and only worth it if you are an excellent french student and can pull of a high GPA for med school .
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah, I'm just worried that my GPA may go down. I got an early acceptance and my marks were mediocre let's say. They're offering good money but I only have one course in French at the moment and again I don't want my marks to go down
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mas40 Mas40
cool, when did you get your early acceptance, and when did you apply to the program, i applied on nov 25th, and im still waiting:bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well, I got my acceptance on December 14, and applied the week that I got my OUAC number. So mid-late November.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nardoc nardoc
Hey,
I'm actually in this program (first year) so feel free to ask me any questions!
I'm enjoying it a lot, the university itself is great, and they give us a lot of support.
I took core French in high school, and my French has improved a lot!

Bonne chance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@nardoc wrote
Hey,
I'm enjoying it a lot, the university itself is great, and they give us a lot of support.

Bonne chance!

Merci Beaucoup!

Je voudrais venir en Ottawa, mais la seule probleme est que je n'ai jamais pris des courses d'immersion, donc, je ne suis pas sure si je reussirai.

Que pensez-vous? Est-ce vous croyez que je peux "maintain my grades." (93-95)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nardoc nardoc

@Waiting wrote

@nardoc wrote
Hey,

Bonne chance!

Merci Beaucoup!

Je voudrais venir en Ottawa, mais la seule probleme est que je n'ai jamais pris des courses d'immersion, donc, je ne suis pas sure si je reussirai.

Moi aussi, je n'ai jamais pris des cours d'immersion. J'étais dans "core French" à école secondaire, mais si tu as réussi le test d'immersion, je pense que tu seras just fine :p

If you're really passionate about French and want to continue to perfect it throughout university, then this is where you wanna be. You get such a rich experience as opposed to taking French as your electives.

I was worried about my grades too when I was considering this program, but the language of science is universal (i.e., most of the terms are pretty much the same). Sometimes you'll even find the profs who teach the French section of the course are better :P
So yes, as long as you put in the effort, you will be able to maintain your grades as if you were taking the courses in English.

Another great thing about uOttawa is you get the choice to write your exams and labs in English if you want.

C'est un défi au début, mais c'est totally worth it, à mon avis :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well, I noticed that you said the "french section." Does that mean there are two sections for each course? (i.e, french and english??) How many french courses do you have?

Also, how were the expenses? like very expensive? If you don't mind, can you tell me what your grades were in your first semester of university.

Thanks for answering my questions!!

@nardoc wrote

@Waiting wrote

@nardoc wrote
Hey,

Bonne chance!

Merci Beaucoup!

Moi aussi, je n'ai jamais pris des cours d'immersion. J'étais dans "core French" à école secondaire, mais si tu as réussi le test d'immersion, je pense que tu seras just fine :p

If you're really passionate about French and want to continue to perfect it throughout university, then this is where you wanna be. You get such a rich experience as opposed to taking French as your electives.

I was worried about my grades too when I was considering this program, but the language of science is universal (i.e., most of the terms are pretty much the same). Sometimes you'll even find the profs who teach the French section of the course are better :P
So yes, as long as you put in the effort, you will be able to maintain your grades as if you were taking the courses in English.

Another great thing about uOttawa is you get the choice to write your exams and labs in English if you want.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nardoc nardoc

@Waiting wrote
Well, I noticed that you said the "french section." Does that mean there are two sections for each course? (i.e, french and english??) How many french courses do you have?

Also, how were the expenses? like very expensive? If you don't mind, can you tell me what your grades were in your first semester of university.

Thanks for answering my questions!!

@nardoc wrote

@Waiting wrote

@nardoc wrote
Hey,

Bonne chance!

Merci Beaucoup!

Yes, with a few exceptions (and I mean very few), all the courses are offered in both French and English.
The requirement for the Extended French stream is to have at least 6 credits (which translates into 2 courses) per semester in French. So I took principes de chimie and biologie des organismes last semester and this semester I am taking chimie organique and biologie cellulaire. I recommend choosing courses that arent too language-based, like chemistry, calculus or physics. I found bio was a little more challenging because there is a bit more reading involved, as opposed to chemistry which is mostly calculations and formulas. I finished with an A in chimie and a B in biologie.

What exactly do you mean by expenses? lol are you referring to tuition? rez? books?

Was this helpful? Yes 0