yconic - University of Toronto - Best Residence for Engineering Students?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University of Toronto - Best Residence for Engineering Students?

A photo of steele steele
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could provide input on what they consider to be the best U of T residences for engineering students. Personally, I'm leaning toward New because of the Engineering Living-Learning Community, which really interests me. I'm also considering St. Mike's, but that's based more on family history (about 4 generations of my family have gone there).

I know that engineering student's aren't formally part of a college, but I was just hoping that some current, former or well-informed prospective students had an opinion on what residence might be best to live at!

Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of civilboy civilboy
I applied to innis and new college just cause its close to engineering building less than 5 minute walk and greatest chance of meeting many people in my program
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of unavoidable unavoidable
If you like Engineers and also want a meal plan, New College is the best (though their buildings leave something to be desired). Innis probably has the highest concentration of engineers, but also no meal plan.

Many engineers also end up living in Chestnut but it's very far away.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tobias Tobias
A lot of engineers are staying at New College. You will be so relieved during the winter when you want to return to your residence. It is at most a 5min walk and maybe a 2min sprint from the engineering buildings. If you want good food then chestnut is the place to go. But you will hate the daily 15-20min walks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
What happens if you decide to stay in Innis, but you want a meal plan too? Would you have to buy one particular college's meal plan (i.e. Vic, Trin, UC, etc.) and could you only use your meal plan at that college's dining hall? :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote
What happens if you decide to stay in Innis, but you want a meal plan too? Would you have to buy one particular college's meal plan (i.e. Vic, Trin, UC, etc.) and could you only use your meal plan at that college's dining hall? :S

You likely won't be able to buy a full meal plan at any of those colleges (and you wouldn't really want to unless you actually plan on eating all of your meals every day there). However, some colleges, like New College, allow you to buy flex dollars for their dining hall - keep in mind though that flex dollars are not yet 'universal' on campus here, so for example New College flex dollars only work at other Aramark outlets (in Bahen and MedSci they work, but not at UC and SF for example).

However, you can always pay in cash... and often you will meet students from res who want to 'sell' you flex dollars at a discount (if you eat with them) because they can't otherwise use up all their flex dollars.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Can you pay in cash at all the college cafeterias?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote
Can you pay in cash at all the college cafeterias?

Pretty much all of them. New College's caf is a pretty popular lunch destination ($9 all you can eat if I recall correctly), and UC's is pretty good for dinner.

But there are so many other choices at UofT because it's in downtown Toronto that you'll probably find yourself eating somewhere else more often than not (i.e. food trucks all along St. George, great pubs/restaurants on Bloor for all budgets, and lots of fast food type places on College).
Was this helpful? Yes 0