yconic - University of Toronto Colleges
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University of Toronto Colleges

A photo of johnlewisy johnlewisy
Hi, I recently accepted an offer for Political Sciences at U of T for New College.
I was wondering,

1. How big of an impact will the choice of College influence my ability to access courses and future graduate studies

2. Is it possible to transfer Colleges in first year or at all?

3. As a New College Political Sciences student, will I be able to access Munk School of Global Affairs/ School of Public Policy and Governance courses (Sorry, it basically the first question except more specific)

4. Have I made a big mistake in choosing New College for my Political Science Major?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of johnlewisy johnlewisy
Additionally, my admission average is at a 87.3% in case it does apply
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of canta93loupe canta93loupe
1. No. You can take classes anywhere. Your choice of college does not limit you from taking classes at other colleges.

2. No.

3. I'm not entirely sure, but I think you can? (Again, your college choice DOES NOT MATTER. It's just based upon your major/if Munk teaches courses relevant to your major.

4. No, you haven't. In terms of academics, your college choice doesn't really have an impact on your success. There might be a few added benefits of choosing one college over another, but in the end, it doesn't matter. Don't worry about it. You'll be fine. (Y)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nadia93 nadia93

@canta93loupe wrote
1. No. You can take classes anywhere. Your choice of college does not limit you from taking classes at other colleges.

2. No.

3. I'm not entirely sure, but I think you can? (Again, your college choice DOES NOT MATTER. It's just based upon your major/if Munk teaches courses relevant to your major.

4. No, you haven't. In terms of academics, your college choice doesn't really have an impact on your success. There might be a few added benefits of choosing one college over another, but in the end, it doesn't matter. Don't worry about it. You'll be fine. (Y)

trueeee, the college you're in is just so you have a sense of community and your college offers resources for you to use and other similar things, it has nothing to do with what you major in or what courses you take.. there are courses sponsored/offered by certain colleges but it's open to everyone unless specified otherwise (like first year seminars)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23
All the colleges are about the same.

Some need a bit higher averages than others to get in due to popular demand.

Other than that rooms may differ a bit, the age of the buildings, and also the meals they offer will all be a bit different.

Nevertheless, you are still a part of UTSG as a whole.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
What college you're a part of is largely unimportant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sheldore Sheldore
What college your in plays a role depending on if you want to be a part of the college and all the activities, it all depends on you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0