yconic - University of Toronto engineering acceptance?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University of Toronto engineering acceptance?

A photo of KidA KidA
So I applied to UoFT for Mechanical engineering. My choices were: Mech, Track one, Civil, Chem, any space. However, they only sent me alternative offer to chemical engineering, my last choice. I have an average of 93%. My friend is in a very similar situation, he applied to: EngSci, Track, Mech, Chem, any space. His average was 93 and only got an alt offer to chemical as well. We both have ok EC's. We submitted our SPFs the day before it was due.

What I wanted to know was if anyone else is in a similar situation and if these offers are final? Will we still be possibly admitted to our preferred programs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
37 replies

A photo of madox madox
i have a similar problem. I applied to track one as my first choice, mechanical as my second with a 91.8% average. I only got into mech, which is strange because you didnt get into mech with a higher average than me. people also got into engsci with 87 averages....
this is all weird.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
There's definitely something strange going on with U of T's engineering acceptances. I don't get why so many people with high averages are getting alternate offers :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vort3x Vort3x
i also applied to mech but got an alternate offer to indy (although I have no interest in indy there is a free switch to mech available @ the end of first year). I know my avg wasn't that great (89)but I'm also wondering if there is still a chance i can get admitted to mech. upon UofT receiving my midterms.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moneymoneymoney moneymoneymoney
I applied to TrackOne with a 91 but I have received no offer/alternate offer :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Smoky45 Smoky45
So am i in serious troubles? :S i am applying from Mexico city i got 95/100 in my grades this partial but i haven't send my certificates yet i am planning to send them on Tuesday but in the website it says it takes around 3~4 weeks :S i am actually applying to computer engineering. I actually have a friend in Toronto do you guys think i can send the certificates to my friend so she can give it to the university?. Thanks you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EngSci1T5 EngSci1T5
This year is very competitive. The cutoffs of U of T engineering programs have been rising for years, every year has a higher entrance average than the last, so don't worry and just wait until May.

Also, join the facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Toronto-Engineering-Class-of-2016/304668272913770
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ArenThomasian ArenThomasian
I applied to T1, Mech, Electrical with a 93 average and got an alternate offer to electrical :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheProjection TheProjection
Yeah, I'm now kind of worried about my EC's, they weren't that great. Last semester I got 93 in advanced functions, 93 in physics and 96 in history, which is a 94 average. I thought that would be good enough but apparently not since my top choice was eng sci and I got alternate offer to electrical engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MonHun MonHun

@moneymoneymoney wrote
I applied to TrackOne with a 91 but I have received no offer/alternate offer :S

Same here.
Maybe our schools are the favourite ones to UofT lol.
Hope to see you next year!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of angus725 angus725
I got into T1 with a 91% average for my pre-reqs. (Although my top 5 is 95%).

Didn't have much ECs, but I believe I wrote the essay quite well.

My cutoff is 80% according to the letter I got.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rahim94 rahim94
I have an average of just above 88%. I applied for mechanical as my first choice, but have only received an offer for materials engineering which is my second choice. Do you guys think i still have a chance to receive an offer for mechanical with that average? Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato
Like all universities, UT is a business. They will try and fill all available slots. Seems like Chem. Eng. is low on registration this year, so they're trying to fill them with alternate offers.

All universities do this, but I found that UT is the most reckless and nonchalant about it. Part of the reason I did not choose UT, is their administration can be downright arrogant and ignorant. People have said the same about UW, when I have nothing but good things to say about them UW. So your millage may vary.

How can you give someone who applied to Mech., a Chem. offer, with a straight face?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WhereIGo WhereIGo
I don't know :\...
I applied to electrical engineering from OUAC but i chose Eng Sci, Track One and then Electrical on SPF.
I was offered an admission to electrical with
98 Advanced functions
94 Accounting
94 Data Management
91 Computer Science
90 Biology

My Projected semester 2 mid term will be
Chemistry: 95
Physics: 93
Calculus: 96
English 8x

Think they will make me another offer to eng sci?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour

@WhereIGo wrote
I don't know :\...
I applied to electrical engineering from OUAC but i chose Eng Sci, Track One and then Electrical on SPF.
I was offered an admission to electrical with
98 Advanced functions
94 Accounting
94 Data Management
91 Computer Science
90 Biology

My Projected semester 2 mid term will be
Chemistry: 95
Physics: 93
Calculus: 96
English 8x

Think they will make me another offer to eng sci?

They should, we have pretty much the same marks, except yours are slightly better I think. They're probably just waiting for your second semester marks as those are all really important pre-requisites.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Academentia Academentia
I got in early Feb, out of province, 93% prereq average. Only wanted Track One and got it. Not sure why.

But I have really strong ECs (I think). Including several years of research in a university lab. Do you think people actually read this? And I applied in mid Dec. Also I'm a girl, if that matters.

The weird thing is I haven't yet gotten in to UW Mech Eng when others have.

I guess its all so unpredictable when they look at stuff other than grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onewordify onewordify
If you haven't gotten in yet, don't worry. These are early acceptances. Most of the people that have gotten in so far have either

a) 95 + average from their required courses
b) Or submitted their SPF before January
c) They are a female in a program with few females.

As far as I know they keep sending out offers til late May.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EndlessEcho EndlessEcho

@onewordify wrote
If you haven't gotten in yet, don't worry. These are early acceptances. Most of the people that have gotten in so far have either

The main reason why people with high averages are not being accepted to "hot" and competitive fields is because of a poor engineering SPF. Having high averages is not enough, you need extra curics and such... that's the main reason I think.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LooMech LooMech
I applied to Mechanical as 1st choice, T1 as 2nd choice , electrical 3rd, chemical 4th.
93% average and got ECE.
Looks like im not the only one who didnt get mechanical with a 93 average !
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
This year's acceptance rounds do seem a little but weird to me, and that's why I've been hesitating to talk too much about people's grades affecting their acceptances.

I don't know if they're putting more of an emphasis on the SPF this year or what, but it seems to be a little bit more random based off what I'm hearing from you guys. :/

Congratulations to those of you who have been accepted! For those who are still waiting, don't give up on it yet! There may still be an acceptance out there with your name on it! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StellaSparx StellaSparx

@onewordify wrote

Uhm, no.

a) I have an 88 average.
b) I submitted my SPF 2 days before the deadline.
c) Okay I'm a girl, but my program has a lot of girls.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Onionlol Onionlol

@StellaSparx wrote

@onewordify wrote

Uhm, no.

a) I have an 88 average.
b) I submitted my SPF 2 days before the deadline.
c) Okay I'm a girl, but my program has a lot of girls.

He means EngSci I guess?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS

@onewordify wrote

I find c) a little offensive. Also, there's no way that that's true because the admissions person told me that when your application is reviewed, only your applicant number is shown and not your name or personal info. So there's no way to tell is if someone is a girl or a guy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS

@onewordify wrote

I find c) a little offensive. Also, there's no way that that's true because the admissions person told me that when your application is reviewed, only your applicant number is shown and not your name or personal info. So there's no way to tell is if someone is a girl or a guy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of computerengineer computerengineer
Hey, OMG I am so worried. Do you guys think I will get in with a 86-87 average on my Top 5?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StellaSparx StellaSparx

@LindaS wrote

@onewordify wrote

I totally agree with you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0