yconic - University of Toronto questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University of Toronto questions

A photo of Minia5 Minia5
I have a few questions and concerns about UofT. On the application website (where we choose our Universities), I picked UofT and I had to rank all of the colleges. So my first question is:
Are we registered to all of the colleges that we ranked? If I don't get accepted to Victoria (my first choice), is there is a possibility to be accepted to the other colleges that I ranked after Vic?

I NEED to get accepted to UofT (based on my current location) but I was only allowed to register once for UofT, the Humanities program. I ranked all 6 colleges, putting Victoria first, and I'm panicking about not getting accepted to my first choice because I believe that if I don't get accepted to Victoria, I'm not able to attend the other colleges that I ranked after Vic. In other words, I'm not able to attend UofT at all. Is that true?

My second question is about the averages in UofT, particularly Victoria. I believe by midterm, my average would be at least 85%; is that enough to be accepted by the colleges in UofT, particularly Victoria? The main colleges that I really WANT to get in is Victoria and University College. Is there a possibility?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of trappjef trappjef
Your college choice has no impact on your admissions. All Arts and Science students belong to a college. Colleges are social and administrative homes - like a home room, pricipals office and guidance office all together.

Check this out:

http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/futurestudents/colleges/ranking

All colleges want a mix of students from different backgrounds, so as much as the colleges try and give all students their college choice - it does become a bit of a numbers game with respect to space. All colleges offer the same services. It really doesn't matter too much which one you belong to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Minia5 Minia5

@trappjef wrote
Your college choice has no impact on your admissions. All Arts and Science students belong to a college. Colleges are social and administrative homes - like a home room, pricipals office and guidance office all together.

Check this out:

http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/futurestudents/colleges/ranking

All colleges want a mix of students from different backgrounds, so as much as the colleges try and give all students their college choice - it does become a bit of a numbers game with respect to space. All colleges offer the same services. It really doesn't matter too much which one you belong to.

But if I "don't" get accepted to Victoria, the other colleges (that I ranked after Vic) would be available, right? Despite how I registered once in for UofT (Humanities program).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jackkrentz jackkrentz
Yes! The only colleges that require you to rank them first are Victoria, Trinity, and Woodsworth. If any of those aren't your first choice, they won't consider you. All the other colleges will consider you even if they're not first.

For example, if a student ranks their colleges like this:

1. Victoria
2. Trinity
etc

Then if they don't get accepted to Vic, Trin won't consider them.

But, if a student ranks their colleges like this:

1. Victoria
2. University (or New or Innis or St. Mikes)
etc

Then if they don't get accepted to Vic, they will be considered by their second choice (UC in this case).

Make sense?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Minia5 Minia5

@jackkrentz wrote
Yes! The only colleges that require you to rank them first are Victoria, Trinity, and Woodsworth. If any of those aren't your first choice, they won't consider you. All the other colleges will consider you even if they're not first.

For example, if a student ranks their colleges like this:

1. Victoria
2. Trinity
etc

Then if they don't get accepted to Vic, Trin won't consider them.

But, if a student ranks their colleges like this:

1. Victoria
2. University (or New or Innis or St. Mikes)
etc

Then if they don't get accepted to Vic, they will be considered by their second choice (UC in this case).

Make sense?

Yes! That makes more sense! Thank you so much :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7
You did the application form for Victoria, right? To be considered for Victoria, you have to rank it first, and also do the student profile application form.

Either way, if you are accepted into UTSG, you will be sorted into a college. You might be accepted into UTSG first before your first choice accepts you, or you might be accepted by both at the same time. If Vic doesn't accept you, other colleges will accept you, but not Trin (also, because of the student profile requirement and first ranking).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RhiannaJK RhiannaJK
Like others before me have said, if you aren't accepted by your first choice, all the other colleges (not including that don't consider you unless you rank them first, or ones that require you to write some sort of essay) will consider your application in the order that you ranked them. Your acceptance to a particular college and your acceptance to the University of Toronto are completely separate affairs, anyway (i.e. you can be accepted to a college without being accepted to U of T and vice versa), so don't worry!

Victoria and Trinity College receive the highest number of applications every year, and consequently they're harder to get into. I'm not sure what the minimum cut-off average is for Vic, but your acceptance there will also be determined by how well they like your Student Profile. If you haven't written a Profile (the deadline for that was March 11th) Vic won't consider you.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0