yconic - University of Toronto St. George Humanities (Philosophy) - Low English Mark Concern?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University of Toronto St. George Humanities (Philosophy) - Low English Mark Concern?

A photo of Yeah Yeah
Hi everyone,

I just received my mid-term mark in English and it is lower than I had anticipated. Since I applied to Humanities with preference to Philosophy I am curious about a couple of things:

1. My English mark is a 72, however, my over all average is 82-84. Will I still be considered by UTSG? Posted marks underneath if this helps:
Philosophy - 90
Challange and Change - 85
English - 72
Individuals, Families and Society - 90 (expected)
West and the World History - 89 (expected)
2. If I am not accepted to the U of T St. George campus is it possible for me to be offered a alternative offer to UTM or UTSC?
3. Does anyone have a similar scenario, or a success story?
4. Thanks

sincerely,
yeah.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
Should you really be going into UTSG Humanities if you're getting a C in English?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yeah Yeah
Hi Zion,

I believe that I am capable of dealing with what would be required of me at U of T St. George. I had considered the question before I received my mark in English. While I may have a 72 at the moment -- which in my opinion translates to a B -- I do not doubt that I can raise it to an 80% before the end of the class. Unfortunately, U of T to my knowledge considers mid-term and not final marks in second semester when making offers.

I am considering applying to McMaster for the same course this week as a contingency plan. That said, other than English and Law, I consider my marks to be relatively competitive. My average from the amalgamation of the six courses is also in a range that from what I know is acceptable to U of T. I am at least hopeful that I will get in, but would like to know my potential. I suppose given your question if it was intended to be rhetorical answered my inquiry partially. If that is the case, thank-you for your honesty.
If you have any other information I would be appreciative of it.

Sincere thanks,
Yeah.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
IF you maintain a 80+ average, you should be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
a 72 is not a C noob
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imback imback

@Yeah wrote
Hi everyone,

I just received my mid-term mark in English and it is lower than I had anticipated. Since I applied to Humanities with preference to Philosophy I am curious about a couple of things:

1. My English mark is a 72, however, my over all average is 82-84. Will I still be considered by UTSG? Posted marks underneath if this helps:
Philosophy - 90
English - 72
2. If I am not accepted to the U of T St. George campus is it possible for me to be offered a alternative offer to UTM or UTSC?
4. Thanks

sincerely,
yeah.

Yous still have a pretty competitive chance at UTSG, but my friend, who's in the same situation as you, got turned down from all three of the programs he applied for at UTSG, and got alternative offers for all three at UTSC. He applied for sociology, psychology and somtheing else.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of itruffles itruffles

@imback wrote

@Yeah wrote
Hi everyone,

Philosophy - 90
English - 72
4. Thanks

sincerely,
yeah.

Yous still have a pretty competitive chance at UTSG, but my friend, who's in the same situation as you, got turned down from all three of the programs he applied for at UTSG, and got alternative offers for all three at UTSC. He applied for sociology, psychology and somtheing else.

I thought you could only apply to 1 arts and science program at UTSG?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yeah Yeah
itruffles Philosophy is in the humanities stream, when you apply you have to choose a course of interest.

Just curious imback, what overall average did your friend have? Also, what was his mark in English if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for messaging heesoup, I know you had responded on my original thread. I have heard that as long as an 80% average is maintained or greater that there is a good chance to get in. My concern is that since I applied to philosophy, which can be considered English heavy, if the 72 will hurt those chances significantly.

Also, what Vic One stream did you apply to?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Jack555 wrote
a 72 is not a C noob

It's a C+ in BC. Sorry, I don't have much experience with Cs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of scaredycat scaredycat
Hi,
I'm having sort of the same concern, although mine is more towards paranoia...anywho my average is pretty crap it's around 84 for final and 82 for midterms
i have a 80% in English and i applied to Uoft St george for criminology and the admissions cut of they say is low 80's but idk and i am currently dying, because i got offers from every other university except for uoft :(

80-english
76-Biology
85-Law
86-Philosophy
80-Economics
88-Sports Entertainment Mareting
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of itruffles itruffles

@Yeah wrote
itruffles Philosophy is in the humanities stream, when you apply you have to choose a course of interest.

I meant arts and science includes social sciences, humanities, commerce, and science. But when I applied it said that you can only choose ONE of those streams, so I was confused when you said that your friend got rejected from BOTH humanities and social sciences streams. LOL

Anywho, I hope you get accepted!

I have an 81 average and a 91 in English. I'm stressing out soo much, I probably think about this acceptance everyday hahaha

@ scaredycat I'm sure you'll get in, but as for me, I'm hella borderline.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke

@Zion wrote

@Jack555 wrote
a 72 is not a C noob

But you go to Queen's...Trollin'
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Zion Zion

@LRooke wrote

@Zion wrote

@Jack555 wrote
a 72 is not a C noob

Queen's isn't a high school. Please uninstall your browser and don't come back to this forum.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yatesb Yatesb

@Zion wrote

@LRooke wrote

@Zion wrote

@Jack555 wrote
a 72 is not a C noob

Queen's isn't a high school. Please uninstall your browser and don't come back to this forum.

Hahahahaha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of LRooke LRooke
The mods deleted my le troll picture.

The point, Zion, is that you have a rather short fuse. Highlight my original post. Perhaps you have anger issues, hmm? Trollin'.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Zion Zion

@LRooke wrote
The mods deleted my le troll picture.

The point, Zion, is that you have a rather short fuse. Highlight my original post. Perhaps you have anger issues, hmm? Trollin'.

Are you supposed to be clever or something? Uninstall plz.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke

@Zion wrote
Are you supposed to be clever or something? Uninstall plz.

*Woosh*
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sixdays sixdays

@Yatesb wrote

@Zion wrote

@LRooke wrote

@Zion wrote

@Jack555 wrote
a 72 is not a C noob

Hahahahaha

+1

Kid got shut downnnn.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
Queen's? It's a third-rate University! Who willingly goes there when they could go to Toronto?

EDIT: Zion, your lack of appreciation of my joke indicates your lack of intelligence, which makes Queen's the perfect fit for you.

And since you're so dense-

[size=9]I DO NOT MEAN A WORD OF THIS.[/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PeoplesChamp PeoplesChamp
UTSG I think has a 75% cut-off for english. DO NOT quote me on this though because this is what I've read on other forum posts that they DO have a minimum requirement for english. Although it does make sense considering it's the only pre-requisite for the program. You should call though to make sure.

Cheers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vjkesava vjkesava
I have the same question, i applyed to UTSG for Life Sciences and have a 79.66 average almost an 80. I have a 73 english, but my calculus is 59, will they except me? Im scared and i wanna go to UTSG. Please HELP!
Was this helpful? Yes 0