yconic - University of Toronto's Ethics, Society, and Law Program
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University of Toronto's Ethics, Society, and Law Program

A photo of steadierfooting steadierfooting
Hi guys! I'm applying for U of T's Ethics, Society and Law program because it looks really interesting -- it's basically a combination of all the subjects I'm most interested in. However, I'd like to know what it's like from people who are in it, or who know something about it. Does anyone have any information on this?

Also, to U of T students in general -- what's it like? Is it really easy to get lost in the crowd (metaphorically, that is)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of chloeschmoe chloeschmoe
Hey steadierfooting,

I'm not an Ethics, Society and Law student, but I'll try to answer some of your questions from my own experience and from those of the people I know :) In ES&L, there aren't a lot of required courses, so you're pretty free to take any combination of subjects that interest you in addition to the ones you do have to take. You'll also have to take seminar course, TRN412, in your fourth year. See here for more info: http://www.trinity.utoronto.ca/Current_Students/requirements_esl.htm

Also, did you apply for a college yet? The program is hosted at Trinity College, and I believe there is an Ethics, Society and Law society as well. As for your interest in politics, ethics, philosophy, law, morality, etc. you're in the right place - the Munk School of Global Affairs regularly hosts lectures and roundtables by some pretty well-known people (and it's mostly free, you just have to sign up for them). Most of the people in your program will have similar interests to you as well, so prepare for some stimulating conversation!

As for U of T life in general, I'll just say this: it's what you make of it. You'll probably have heard of intimidatingly large class sizes (I walked in late to a class of 1 200 on my first day...it was pretty scary) but it'll be loads better once you find people to sit with. Tutorials will make up for it, and there are also First-Year Seminars with smaller sizes (24 students), as well as First-Year Learning Communities (FLCs) that you can join. If you're a commuter student (which most of U of T is), there are several commuter lounges to hang out in. Pretty much all the school is yours to discover, and that's what I like most about it. If you're the kind of person who appreciates architecture and books, you're in the right place :)

People also say the social life/school spirit sucks, but like I said, it's what you make of it. Make sure to attend your frosh week because that's where you'll meet most of your friends. And though it might be tempting, don't skip classes - many of them are two hours long, so you'll be missing a substantial amount if you do. If you can't avoid it, though, make sure you get someone to send you their notes. Also, don't fall behind your readings! Not to scare you but this is university, and sometimes you'll be burning through 60+ pages a night on one subject alone. On the bright side, since you're an artsci, you'll have a lot of free time on your hands. Use it well. There are literally hundreds of clubs on campus so whatever your interest, there's one for you. And if not, you can start your own!

There's an open house in March with a program fair and college tour, so if you still have any questions, you can ask them there. http://discover.utoronto.ca/marchbreak

Good luck and hope to see you next year! If you have any more questions, ask away and I'll try to answer them :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steadierfooting steadierfooting
Thank you for all the information and encouragement, chloeschomoe! U of T does seem intimidating, but I'm sure you're right - it's what you make of it. I really appreciate the advice, and I'm definitely still considering U of T as an option. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rockerchick94 Rockerchick94
:o
I applied to that program as well!

But im really nervous, my avg was only an 84.6% and i havent heard from them yet D:
I really applied to the program, without knowing anything about it, soo this helped :)

But i hope i still get into it, otherwise i'll just settle for Criminalogy at York or Social Sciences as Western!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@chloeschmoe wrote
since you're an artsci, you'll have a lot of free time on your hands. )

Actually, since you're an arts student. Not science.
Was this helpful? Yes 0