yconic - University of Waterloo biotechnology/chartered accountancy
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University of Waterloo biotechnology/chartered accountancy

A photo of alisonwong9000 alisonwong9000
Is it true that only 10 people are accepted first year?

Because I'm honestly extremely surprised that I got in, and I really want to know who the 9 other people are...

(were there not a lot of applications or...?)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of caveman caveman
Well they aim for 10 people to be in the program. They send out X number of offers knowing that if Y% of people reject on average, they'll get a class size of around 10.

The fact that they only accept 10 (or whatever it may be) is why it's so competitive. If they made the program for 100+ people, the average needed would drop to a 90.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@caveman wrote
Well they aim for 10 people to be in the program. They send out X number of offers knowing that if Y% of people reject on average, they'll get a class size of around 10.

The fact that they only accept 10 (or whatever it may be) is why it's so competitive. If they made the program for 100+ people, the average needed would drop to a 90.

Thanks for your input.

But what I'm really asking, is if this program is good, and if a lot of people wanted to get into the program/thought it was good. I just thought it'd be more competitive, because I'm a couple percentage values behind the competitive average.

Has anyone taken CA/Biotech, or know people who have? I'd be interested in knowing how it's like and how taking both CA and biochem classes are. Is the workload insane?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@alisonwong9000 wrote

@caveman wrote

Thanks for your input.

But what I'm really asking, is if this program is good, and if a lot of people wanted to get into the program/thought it was good. I just thought it'd be more competitive, because I'm a couple percentage values behind the competitive average.

Has anyone taken CA/Biotech, or know people who have? I'd be interested in knowing how it's like and how taking both CA and biochem classes are. Is the workload insane?

Yes this program is good. Don't worry, there are always lots of applicants. There would be more, but a lot of people are scared off by the high average needed to get in.

I know some people in the program. They say it's a lot of work, but it's not unbearable. It's the ultimate safety net for going to med school (if you can handle it). You get to take sciences and satisfy the med school requirements. But then Waterloo's one of if not the best schools for accounting, and you get to learn a lot in this area. You can do your co-ops in accounting and gain some good experience. This experience can help you get into med school, and if you get denied you can stick with accounting and you have a really solid career, and you're coming from Waterloo which is awesome. If you find you really like accounting, you can just stick with it, and potentially use your science knowledge to your advantage (work for a biotech company, auditing biotech firms, w/e).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@caveman wrote

@alisonwong9000 wrote

@caveman wrote

Thanks for your input.

Yes this program is good. Don't worry, there are always lots of applicants. There would be more, but a lot of people are scared off by the high average needed to get in.

I know some people in the program. They say it's a lot of work, but it's not unbearable. It's the ultimate safety net for going to med school (if you can handle it). You get to take sciences and satisfy the med school requirements. But then Waterloo's one of if not the best schools for accounting, and you get to learn a lot in this area. You can do your co-ops in accounting and gain some good experience. This experience can help you get into med school, and if you get denied you can stick with accounting and you have a really solid career, and you're coming from Waterloo which is awesome. If you find you really like accounting, you can just stick with it, and potentially use your science knowledge to your advantage (work for a biotech company, auditing biotech firms, w/e).

Thank you so much, I'm really relieved to hear that.

So is Biotech/CA a double major? I know I may sound ignorant but I have very little idea of how university classes actually work. Would you have double the classes of what everyone else has? Or would you just have Bio/Chem classes where AFM would have options?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@alisonwong9000 wrote

Thank you so much, I'm really relieved to hear that.

So is Biotech/CA a double major? I know I may sound ignorant but I have very little idea of how university classes actually work. Would you have double the classes of what everyone else has? Or would you just have Bio/Chem classes where AFM would have options?

I suppose it is a double major (I've never looked into the exact terminology). You graduate with a BSc, which would be in Biotechnology and Chartered Accountancy, which I suppose is a double major.

You don't take double what others take. Biotech/CAs usually take 6 courses though (normal full-time courseload is 5 per semester). AFM students take accounting and finance courses, plus get a few additional business/international business type courses, and some electives. Biotech/CAs don't take finance, save for a couple courses, and they don't take the international studies-type courses, and I believe they don't get electives. So those courses you don't take, plus your additional course are all science courses. Check out the undergraduate calendar to see exactly how many science vs accounting courses you have to take.
Was this helpful? Yes 0