yconic - University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering!

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I was wondering if the Technical Presentation and work term reports are hard?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

And is it hard to get a co-op placement?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of entanglement entanglement
I've been told that work term reports are more a pain in the butt than hard. Common sense stuff. The technical presentation is just a presentation, so if you're not terribly bad with words you'll do okay. My friends at UW tell me ECE is the easiest eng. field to find co-op placements. Do you have any programming or electronics experience?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato
WatPD-Engineering is just a repackaged PDEng POS!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have limited programming experience with HTML, Turing and C++. No real experience with electronics, just an understanding for the components. I wish my school offered an electrical class or engineering intro class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is it easy to switch from Electrical to Computer Engineering if I were to decide to change? Any other program I would assume is more difficult.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of doer doer
As I know, Electrical and Computer Eng have the same schedule until 2nd term, so I guess it's quite possible to switch. I thought about switching before and some people I've talked to said that it's possible as long as I satisfy the requirements. I might be wrong though so take it for granted. :d
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

Are the Technical Presentation and Workterm Reports hard?
They are all based on a technical problem that you worked on and possibly solved at your coop placement. There is a standard format for each Eng program which you need to follow. Most people fail because they don't follow the format properly or their topic is not technical, report does not flow properly, etc.

As for Technical presentation, aka. TPM, most people base theirs off of their Workterm report, but the most important thing is that you make sure you keep it between 13-15min because that's the time limit. Most people pass this, it's very simple and you present to 4-5 of your classmates, and a panel with a couple of people from your faculty.

Note that I actually haven't experienced writing a workterm report nor doing a TPM yet.. but I need to prepare them for early next term. I plan to spend a few hours a day for ~3 days figuring it all out, although I dunno when I'll get time since I don't have much of a break between my coop term and my Spring school term =/

Is it hard to get a co-op placement?
It's a lot better than recession days. Esp for elec/comp/software engineers. It's always hard in first year though, esp if you have no related work exp. Also remember that having a good first term avg (if you're 8 stream) can really help, since employers really don't have any other factors to compare you with other students, since you haven't had any previous experiences.

Is it easy to switch from EE to CE?
Easy to do in first and second year. EE and CE have both 4stream and 8stream, so it's not too hard to switch around and still be in the same year. Classes that you guys take are pretty much the same in your first 2 years. If you know you want to switch, contact your Assoc. Director of ECE as soon as possible.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato

@MrSparkles wrote
Is it easy to switch from Electrical to Computer Engineering if I were to decide to change? Any other program I would assume is more difficult.

Until Term 2B, the programs are exactly the same. Since the classes are now blended, if you transfer before 2B, you wont even have to change classes.

As long as you're not failing, it's as easy as filling out one form - done.
Was this helpful? Yes 0