yconic - University of Western Ontario biomedical science.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University of Western Ontario biomedical science.

A photo of ronmovilla ronmovilla
Hey guys, after months of delay, i finally decided to use my student awards account lol. I've actually had a really hard time deciding which university to go to :S (like many of you). My choices have narrowed down to McGill life sciences, and UWO's biomedical sciences. I have visited both campuses, and have spoken to many students from McGill. However, I still have yet to hear back from current students I met during the open house from UWO (probably because of exams). So I was wondering if there's anyone who's in the UWO for the biomedical program, or even graduates of this program to give me on information on the actual program lol; General things such as student life, how are the first years, success tips, grades etc. Thanks in advance for anyone who replies :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo
You should choose McGill. Stronger program/nicer city.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ronmovilla ronmovilla
I've heard a lot of amazing things from McGill, and some that have kind of turned me off. So it's really a stressful time. While there is that misconception that Western is an "easy" school, i'm not looking for an easy ride. I'm looking for the program that best suits me, and that will give me the most opportunities to succeed :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ronmovilla wrote
I've heard a lot of amazing things from McGill, and some that have kind of turned me off. So it's really a stressful time. While there is that misconception that Western is an "easy" school, i'm not looking for an easy ride. I'm looking for the program that best suits me, and that will give me the most opportunities to succeed :P

I don't think Western is necessarily 'easier' but it's more of the grade inflation/deflation issue. If your ultimate goal is med school, then do you want to stay in Canada or go to the States??

In Canada, the school you go to rarely matters in your admission but if you're going to the US, they care a lot of the school's prestige. McGill will do you a favour in that respect.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Schen Schen

@jessiexo wrote

I don't think Western is necessarily 'easier' but it's more of the grade inflation/deflation issue. If your ultimate goal is med school, then do you want to stay in Canada or go to the States??

In Canada, the school you go to rarely matters in your admission but if you're going to the US, they care a lot of the school's prestige. McGill will do you a favour in that respect.

If you claim that it rarely matters, can you give a situation where it does matter?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Schen wrote

@jessiexo wrote

If you claim that it rarely matters, can you give a situation where it does matter?

Uhh I thought I answered that?

In Canadian med schools, they look at your GPA, Essays and MCAT scores. American med schools do care about the prestige of the school you come from.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@jessiexo wrote

@Schen wrote

@jessiexo wrote

Uhh I thought I answered that?

In Canadian med schools, they look at your GPA, Essays and MCAT scores. American med schools do care about the prestige of the school you come from.

Hint: he's talking about how the prestige of your school applies IN CANADA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sean1218 Sean1218

@jessiexo wrote
but if you're going to the US, they care a lot of the school's prestige. McGill will do you a favour in that respect.

Actually, they care about as little as Canadian universities do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Sean1218 wrote

@jessiexo wrote
but if you're going to the US, they care a lot of the school's prestige. McGill will do you a favour in that respect.

Actually, they care about as little as Canadian universities do.

Actually... you're just believing what you're told. They don't explicitly say that because they want money from the applications. My parents know admissions people/professors at prestigious American universities. Some discard your application as soon as they see the name of the university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
^ What does that actually mean though? Do the admissions people know all the universities and their rankings? Do they exclude people from blatantly crappy universities (e.g. the ones that you see advertisements for on American TV)?

Just because your parents know some admissions people/professors doesn't make you an expert on the subject. And it's very possible that what your parents communicated to you is not the true message that those admissions people were trying to convey.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Lol I'm not saying I'm an expert, I'm just warning you guys that 'whatever undergrad' does not apply everywhere. But I do have many personal connections... (including Yale/Harvard/MIT/Stanford/ETH/Nanjing/Peking/etc.) but it's your choice if you want to try a cheat way of going to like... Bishops just to get an easier 4.0 GPA. In post-graduate studies, the professors also have a lot of say in which students are accepted... no one's stupid... they'll know difference in caliber of students that come from harder schools vs easier ones.

They have internal calibration curves and factor in prestige.

Ex.

Average School A Student that has a 3.8 GPA often comes in the program and their marks drop by ____ .

Average School B student that has a 3.8 GPA often comes in the program and maintains or their GPA raises... etc.

The grade deflation & difficulty of the school would be factored in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That's better. But you still don't know the whole process, obviously (you admitted you weren't an expert). For example, it's unlikely that Harvard Med has had many/any UWO students, likely not even U of T students. How are they supposed to make an internal calibration curve if they haven't had enough students from a certain school? (rhetorical question)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
That's better. But you still don't know the whole process, obviously (you admitted you weren't an expert). For example, it's unlikely that Harvard Med has had many/any UWO students, likely not even U of T students. How are they supposed to make an internal calibration curve if they haven't had enough students from a certain school? (rhetorical question)

I know this was a rhetorical question... But international prestige, reputation of students, ranking of programs all factor in as well. Anyways, I'm just saying this as a warning, (before you go to a school just for a GPA) believe what you will.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jessiexo wrote
Anyways, I'm just saying this as a warning, (before you go to a school just for a GPA) believe what you will.

100% agreed. I guess I just assumed Sean1218 knew this, though he didn't explicitly state it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0