yconic - University of Windsor OR University of Waterloo for Engineering?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University of Windsor OR University of Waterloo for Engineering?

A photo of merm123 merm123
Okay, okay. So clearly, the answer might seem obvious, but I have tons of pros and cons for both schools, huge one being my dad wants me to go to Windsor because it's cheap. What would you do if you were me?

A) Go to the University of Windsor. for Industrial Engineering
Pros:
-Only 45 minutes away from home
-Tuition is about 40% cheaper than Waterloo
-I could live with my grandparents, which means no residence or food cost (they live there)
-Overall it would be more than 1/2 the cost of Waterloo. (Btw I'm a triplet so this is huge especially for my parents considering they'll be broke paying for us 3 going to University)
-General first-year engineering, thus I can decide whether engineering is truly for me.

Cons:
-Windsor isn't known as a great, prestigious school.
-The engineering program they have isn't even the program I really want (it's similar though)
-Not living in residence means less independence and not meeting as many people as I would living on residence.
-I really don't like the city of Windsor.

B) Go to the University of Waterloo for Management Engineering
Pros:
-Waterloo is top ranked for their engineering programs.
-They are well-known for their co-op, which means greater chance of finding a job after graduation. (About 90-something% find a job within 6 months after graduation)
-They have the program I am completely interested in.
-Living in residence, meeting more people, possibly being more independent.
-I love love love Waterloo (the city and the school)

Cons:
-Waterloo is 2 1/2 hours away from home. (that could be a pro too though lol..)
-Tuition is $10,000 per year. YES, it's craziness.
-Total per year is about $23,000, more than double the cost of Windsor.

Oh, btw in concerns of my parents, my dad is really pushing me to go to Windsor while my mom wants me to go to Waterloo.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of North North
Though the cost for Waterloo is higher, especially once you've factored in residence and food costs, you cannot overlook the money that you'll make during co-op terms. This can help to cover these higher costs.

Also, if you're truly interested in the program that Waterloo has to offer then you should go for that. Apply for all the schoalrships and bursuries you can, but don't give up on your dream program just because of money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@North wrote
Though the cost for Waterloo is higher, especially once you've factored in residence and food costs, you cannot overlook the money that you'll make during co-op terms. This can help to cover these higher costs.

Also, if you're truly interested in the program that Waterloo has to offer then you should go for that. Apply for all the schoalrships and bursuries you can, but don't give up on your dream program just because of money.

Ah, thanks. But it's much easier said than done, no? And Windsor Engineering also has co-op. *sigh* I don't know what to do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
If you are truly admissible for both you'd be MAD to not go to the `loo
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Consider which one is cheaper and where each is. Thats what I'd do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@merm123 wrote
Ah, thanks. But it's much easier said than done, no? And Windsor Engineering also has co-op. *sigh* I don't know what to do.

Yes, it's easier said than done.

And even though Windsor has co-op, no one can really compete with the co-op program at UW especially for engineering. UW was built as an engineering co-op school. (PEY at UofT is a different type of program so I don't really compare the two)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Theres nothing wrong with windsor they offer quite a few scholarships so if you can try to get your marks very high you'll receive quite a bit of money. Plus as you mentioned if your not entirely sure about industrial you can switch out if you go there. Although yes waterloo is more prestigious there management eng program is fairly new and switching into other eng programs from my understanding is harder then other schools.

Im not quite sure what you mean by "its not the program I want" since management eng is basically industrial eng dealing a little more with IT. Waterloo would probably be better for IT. Your not limiting yourself all that much by going to either school they both offer coop just remember that scholarships for windsor require you to maintain a pretty solid GPA which is tough in any eng program.

If your more into information technology i suggest you check out uoft's program as well IT is one of there streams. Plus you share the same courses as mech eng first year and can switch into mechanical if thats what interests you more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote

lmao.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote

lmao.
Was this helpful? Yes 0