yconic - University or college?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University or college?

A photo of Stranger Stranger
Which are you going to?

I used to think university was the only way for me, but I surprised myself with the decision to go to college.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
38 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I've applied to both, but I think I'm going to end up going to university instead.
My parents would want me to go directly to university, anyways.. so Asian -.-'
But it is much cheaper to go to college first and then transfer into a university after a few years.. at least 1/2 the price of going to university all the way..
But I also think it's such a hassle to transfer; you have to make sure you keep a certain GPA and have all the pre-reqs, right amount of credits, and actually take courses that you can transfer into uni.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
University. I really can't imagine myself going to college. And I agree with cynthia, I'd rather not have to worry about transferring.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote
University. I really can't imagine myself going to college. And I agree with cynthia, I'd rather not have to worry about transferring.

Yeah, a few months ago, I couldn't see myself going to college either.
In Ontario, only colleges (with the exception of UOIT) offer the program I want to get into.

My friends think I'm making the wrong choice and that I should go to university cause I'm smart. :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Pshhh I say... screw what your friends say!
If you want to go to college, then go to college.
It's your future, not theirs!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of shaymack shaymack
My parents were always pressuring me to go to university. My dad was saying going to college was a mistake, yet he has a high 6 figure income and my mom works at a Drive test centre, sitting on her Western University Degree. I know thats not the case for everyone, but I think college is the right choice for what I want to pursue
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MFedds MFedds
Algonquin Collage all the way.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
University. I can't picture myself being at college.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@MFedds wrote
Algonquin Collage all the way.

Guess that's why.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heatherMH heatherMH
Took me a long time to decide.. always wanted to go to university, but also wanted to go to College. Really wasn't sure what one to apply at. All my classmates were applying at Universities, but then again they also all have the sciences they needed. So, I was going to settle for College and after a long hard search, and I mean like 4 months of looking into at least 30 different schools across Canada.. I decide to apply at Marvel College AND Grant MacEwan. Hope I get accepted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Stranger wrote

@Zion wrote

Yeah, a few months ago, I couldn't see myself going to college either.
In Ontario, only colleges (with the exception of UOIT) offer the program I want to get into.

My friends think I'm making the wrong choice and that I should go to university cause I'm smart. :/

What program would that be?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Med lab science (MLS)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Stranger wrote
Med lab science (MLS)

Michener?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@Stranger wrote
Med lab science (MLS)

Michener?

Yep, that's my top choice. ^^
How'd you know about it? Almost everyone I've talked to have never heard of it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93

@Stranger wrote

@g93 wrote

@Stranger wrote
Med lab science (MLS)

Michener?

Yep, that's my top choice. ^^
How'd you know about it? Almost everyone I've talked to have never heard of it.

:batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SarahB SarahB
University for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Just remember

University gets you a career
College gets you a job
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote
Just remember

College gets you a job

What's a career if you can't get a job?
Also, I'd have a career as an MLT.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Stranger wrote

@ARMY101 wrote
Just remember

College gets you a job

Although it seems that you're just trolling, I'll say that you're taking the quote too literally. It means university gives you a wide range of skills and abilities that will sustain your employment for life (a career), while college trains you in one specific field doing one specific task (a job).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Ha!

I laugh at the sight of college students, this isn't the U.S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote

@Stranger wrote

@ARMY101 wrote
Just remember

College gets you a job

Although it seems that you're just trolling, I'll say that you're taking the quote too literally. It means university gives you a wide range of skills and abilities that will sustain your employment for life (a career), while college trains you in one specific field doing one specific task (a job).

I don't troll...
I'm considering college for a reason. Like many others, I used to be closed-minded about the idea of college, until sort of recently. Sure university covers more theory, but applications are important as well. Hands on experience would give me skills I can't get by just reading a textbook.
I like learning and the idea of gaining knowledge, but I unfortunately can't find a career that interests me that requires going to university. (UOIT offers an MLS program, but I'm not sure about the credibility of their program). I would rather go to college and do something I enjoy than go off to university to pursue a career that makes a lot of money but I don't have a passion for.
College doesn't only get you a short-term job. It can also provide employment for life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of canadiancat14 canadiancat14
University of Alberta!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leah93 leah93
I applied to both University and College for Nursing. I'm still deciding whether I want to go to Ryerson or Humber (if I get in to Humber). Can't decide which one is best for me. Ryerson has always been my first choice and now I'm a bit confused.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Iamblessed Iamblessed
University for me
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@Zion wrote

This sums up my views on the subject perfectly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0