yconic - University? or Victory Lap?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University? or Victory Lap?

A photo of lbarrera1101 lbarrera1101
So i am a senior right now, coming out of the enhanced program at a high school that I absolutely detest. I'm taking Calculus, physics, and writer's craft this semester and getting marks that honestly don't reflect the hard worker that I am. Last Semester my average was 93% and this semester it is 87%.
In the winter I applied to five schools in USA (Princeton, MIT, Yale, Brown, The New School for Design: Parsons) all of which are known for their prestige and selectiveness. My marks are satisfactory in my opion, but they weren't high enough for the first four of the mentioned uni's.
In Canada, I decided i wouldn't put any effort into my applications so i impulsively applied to schools I hadn't really given any thought about. Those schools are Western (for MIT program), U of Ottawa (communications), Glendon College of York Uni (business economics in french immersion), and Ryerson (urban planning).
The schools I considered applying for, but seemed to out of reach due to my hard course load and other applications' stress, were Ryerson for Fashion Communication (the portfolio was extremely time-consuming), Ryerson for architecture, McGill architecture, U of T arch., Carleton arch., and Waterloo arch.
Now that I haven't gotten into my first choices, and I also have no real chance of applying to the canadian programs I liked before the fall semester, I am facing going into grade thirteen at the highschool I would've gone to if i hadn't stuck to the enhanced program.
If i stayed back a year I could put in full effort for the Canadian schools of my preference, but the problem is what courses would I take?
Archietecture asks for physics, calculus, and english. I am not doing as well in cal. and physics as I would like and I have thought about retaking them next year for a better grade. Other courses I considered to take would require me to take the grade 11 prerequisite before the 12th grade level course. Those are communications tech (which teaches ACAD, but only in the highschool I am at now), and visual arts.
Going to one of the uni's I got into would cost money, and would potentially be a waste of money if I transfer for the following year.
I have two older sisters who are going to be enrolled next year in uni as well and the price of three uni's is a lot for my parents to take on.
So............I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23

@lbarrera1101 wrote
So i am a senior right now, coming out of the enhanced program at a high school that I absolutely detest. I'm taking Calculus, physics, and writer's craft this semester and getting marks that honestly don't reflect the hard worker that I am. Last Semester my average was 93% and this semester it is 87%.
In the winter I applied to five schools in USA (Princeton, MIT, Yale, Brown, The New School for Design: Parsons) all of which are known for their prestige and selectiveness. My marks are satisfactory in my opion, but they weren't high enough for the first four of the mentioned uni's.
In Canada, I decided i wouldn't put any effort into my applications so i impulsively applied to schools I hadn't really given any thought about. Those schools are Western (for MIT program), U of Ottawa (communications), Glendon College of York Uni (business economics in french immersion), and Ryerson (urban planning).
The schools I considered applying for, but seemed to out of reach due to my hard course load and other applications' stress, were Ryerson for Fashion Communication (the portfolio was extremely time-consuming), Ryerson for architecture, McGill architecture, U of T arch., Carleton arch., and Waterloo arch.
Now that I haven't gotten into my first choices, and I also have no real chance of applying to the canadian programs I liked before the fall semester, I am facing going into grade thirteen at the highschool I would've gone to if i hadn't stuck to the enhanced program.
If i stayed back a year I could put in full effort for the Canadian schools of my preference, but the problem is what courses would I take?
Archietecture asks for physics, calculus, and english. I am not doing as well in cal. and physics as I would like and I have thought about retaking them next year for a better grade. Other courses I considered to take would require me to take the grade 11 prerequisite before the 12th grade level course. Those are communications tech (which teaches ACAD, but only in the highschool I am at now), and visual arts.
Going to one of the uni's I got into would cost money, and would potentially be a waste of money if I transfer for the following year.
I have two older sisters who are going to be enrolled next year in uni as well and the price of three uni's is a lot for my parents to take on.
So............I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.

I wouldn't have applied to any Ivy League with 87%, even 93%.

Sorry this didn't answer your question but I believe you should have spent more time on your Canadian Universities, honestly, Undergrad dosen't really matter.

Go for Ivy League of course if you have stellar marks and excellent SAT scores. Of course not everyone can achieve that. If you have spent more time in your CAN Uni apps, you would have been A LOT more sucessful.

Nevertheless, Good Luck in your decisions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cdkpsa cdkpsa
I would take whatever courses I wanted to upgrade and then co-op to fill up empty space (if your school offers it). There's no point going into a program you don't like and then waste money by switching to something else in second year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Fancy seeing you here...

Anyways, you do still have a couple of options:

1) Go to a Canadian program that may not be your #1 choice.
Your program's level of prestige might not necessarily reflect your ability or intelligence, but at the end of the day that's not a huge issue. To a certain extent, you want to go into the "best" program available, but success is sometimes independent of where you go. If you commit yourself to a high standard of excellence in university, it really doesn't matter where you go for your undergrad. Sure, there's a sense of security in going to a program with a lot of successful academic history, but it's not something you absolutely NEED. I'm not sure of every program that you've been admitted to in Canada, but there are certainly some aspects of some programs that you like. Your program isn't you, so don't derive your sense of ability from the program you end up going to.

2) Take a year off.
Perhaps you've overlooked this option, but you can always take a year off! You don't need to improve your ~90 marks to anything higher. In fact, a year off can help you become even more independent, or come to personal conclusions. Go on vacation, explore, get an early taste of the work force. Come January of 2012, you can reapply to your choice universities perhaps with even improved SATs. Going to university a year later doesn't make you any worse of a person.

3) Victory lap.
Again, your marks are already at a point where significant improvement isn't necessarily an option. You'd be forced to go to a high school which you admittedly don't like in an environment that you're already accustomed to. It's an option, but for your scenario, I don't see too much benefit. Again, there's no shame in victory lapping, though.

4) Do your best to contact universities and try to get placement into another program.
This is not frequently heard of, but I do remember hearing cases about students who get admitted over the summer. If you're truly desperate, there's no harm in contacting some universities and trying to squeeze a spot into one of their larger programs. I don't know how practical this idea is, but if you're running thin on options, what's stopping you?

In any case, just make sure that you can rest easy with your decision, and I'm sure you'll find success regardless of whatever choice you pick. Be rational and remember to learn from whatever mistakes you've made in the past! You got this.

P.S. I don't know if you applied to MIT at Western, but it's very viable for you to apply for AEO status in 3rd year and then get a double degree for MIT/Business. That's a solid combination :cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PaperPen PaperPen
Like onlymatthew said, take a year off. Work on your portfolio. The design/architecture programs you're applying to are really competitive to get into, so put a lot of work into your portfolio. Get a job during the school year. An 87% is decent for some of the programs (not Mcgill Architecture), but be careful about retaking courses. Some schools (especially Waterloo) will penalize for retaking courses. Keep up your average and don't let senioritis bite you in your ass.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
Go to uni, work hard, and transfer after the first year. Yeah, it sucks, but you of course have to face the repercussions of your actions.
Taking another year of high school doesn't seem to me like an advantageous use of a year. You'd most likely be bored, and everyone else will be at uni or working making money and having a much better time than you.
Year off: It's possibly a good idea, if your marks meet the cut off for your programs. Work, save up, and spend your free time working hard on your portfolio and apps. I'm just personally not a fan of taking a year off. I don't think a second application round would do you much good, and what if you were rejected again? That would be a waste...
Was this helpful? Yes 0