yconic - University Scaling and helping others out
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University Scaling and helping others out

A photo of chemgeek chemgeek
So this might sound like a weird question and I might sound like a jerk for thinking the way I do. But I have some problems.

A lot of people know at my university that Im good at chemistry. So they keep asking me for help like a lot. And I know that our class is scalled and last year by helping them I gave them pretty good grades. Now Im OK with that, they worked hard and I helped them was a good situation. I learned more by helping them, they helped me at times.

Now the same thing is happening in this semester but it seems that they overly rely on me at times. Im ok with that also because by doing some of their assignments I get extra practice.

BUT I have a chem lab which currently seems to have a pretty high average. And I know someone who has a lab a few hours after me. And she seems to always get higher marks than me because I always tell her whats on the quiz. But recently I noticed that quite a few people have high marks. Like me and almost everyone in the row get like 90 and above on all our labs (except theirs are a few percentages above mine and hers are also)

So Im afraid to get scaled down. And I know that telling her to get lost is the wrong thing. So im kind of needed some advice :P

ps. she literally asks me to tell her everything in the lab (lab is seperate from the course)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

And in the grand scheme of thing I also wanted to know, since our highschool teacher told us that university has a lot of competition.

Is it better to just help out the people who also mutually help me at times and just ignore the ones who keep asking.

Or is it better to not help at all and treat university as a competition where everyone is the enemy:/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26
You don't want to come across as a hardassed nerd who doesn't offer his help, but at the same time you don't want to be a gift horse. I get what you mean... In this scenario, just play dumb. If people are too often asking you for answers, just be vague about it and then say "gee, I really wasn't sure about that one though". Or maybe you can just point their thought process in the right direction without feeding them answers, like a teacher would. You may feel like you're being a prick by doing this (especially if you're not like this in general) but sometimes you have to set boundaries somewhere. It's not fair to you that they're reaping the rewards of your intelligence.

At the very least, you should bug them for answers in other courses that you have in common, so at least that way they're paying you back somehow.

I know a guy in my program who's one of those really smart people who knows all the answers, but he still doesn't feed people answers when they ask him for help... but at the same time he's still popular and well liked. It's hard to explain, but if you're sociable enough, you should be able to say "no" to people when you want to without them feeling resentment toward you afterwards.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clairec21 clairec21

@chemgeek wrote
Im ok with that also because by doing some of their assignments I get extra practice.

You do assignments for people?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Gorges26 wrote
In this scenario, just play dumb. If people are too often asking you for answers, just be vague about it and then say "gee, I really wasn't sure about that one though". Or maybe you can just point their thought process in the right direction without feeding them answers, like a teacher would.

+1. It's nice to feel smart, but it seems like the best choice if you want to maintain an advantage without making enemies.

Your university sounds tiny though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Im study at SFU (taking science).

Yeah that advice does sound reasonable, Good idea to help people yet not give the answer directly.

I'll just try to be very vague and play dumb for my chem lab lol, I heard that last year the class got scaled down, so I just dont want me to contribute to me going down lol yet at the same time there are probably like 300 students there so helping a few would not make an impact XD
Was this helpful? Yes 0