yconic - University stress: Why so much?!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University stress: Why so much?!

A photo of GordonT GordonT
Hey all,

I've been a regular creeper on the StudentAwards forums and have noticed some (to me, anyway), weird things!

First off, why so many applications? I've seen people with as many as ten different ones! I mean, really, why? I have pretty reasonable marks and was accepted to my uni, and because I knew I would be, I didn't bother going anywhere else in terms of applying.

Second, why so much in the way of 'reputation' and whatnot? To me, a business school is a business school. I couldn't care less of reputation - besides, as long as you have the gist of what you're learning, why bother worrying about reputation. This applies especially towards those seeking professional designations. If an employer is looking for an accountant, he is likely going to be looking for a CA, CMA, or CGA, not a McGill grad or UPEI grad. Why the caste system?

Third, why so much complaining about tuition? If you're that worried, come to school in Atlantic Canada! Memorial University's tuition is less than $3k and UPEI's is under $6k.

I realize you all might be stressed out about this, but why? It seems most of this is self-created stress. Really the only worry I have in taking a BBA at UPEI is that of money.

So I have to ask: why are some people around here so hung up on this stuff? I'm genuinely curious about it.

Thanks all,
Travis
Future UPEI BBA Student!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
Honestly after being accepted to my school of choice I feel like all of the grade 12 hype and stress was bull s**t. Honestly, gr 12 is a joke. The courses we take are so boring and easy that i just want to move on... After visiting my university I can truly say that the stress was due to the lack of awareness that people have. For example, people used to tell me that gr 11 marks are important. WTF? they are only important for getting accepted in like January, after the finals are in unis only look at gr 12 courses. USELESS STRESS. Also teh financial stress was a big one for me, but I have decided to get a place with friends are split a room's cost. So that will make about 1,500 dollars on top of my $7000 tuition. The stress was all due to not knowing in my opinion.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I agree with the above poster.
The only reason why I got stressed early on in like.. grade 11.. was because of all the stuff I would hear from people older than me.
Stuff about how hard university is, how hard it is to get in, how important grade 11 marks are and all that stuff.
Then all of a sudden, grade 12 comes.. you messed up grade 11 and now you're like, "Oh God, I really need to step it up!"
But now that term 2 is over, I feel myself way less stressed.. haven't done homework in 3 weeks. :P
I think once all the acceptances start rolling in, everyone slacks off.
I didn't apply to THAT many schools, but more than a regular person would.
The reason why I applied to a few and not just one is because I wanted to keep my options open, as well as keep my parents happy. Each school has something different to offer, whether it be co-op like Waterloo, or a nice campus in a central location like U of T, as well as a rigorous program.
I didn't want to JUST apply to UBC because it's close.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moodeline moodeline

@cyynthiia wrote
The only reason why I got stressed early on in like.. grade 11.. was because of all the stuff I would hear from people older than me.
Stuff about how hard university is, how hard it is to get in, how important grade 11 marks are and all that stuff.
Then all of a sudden, grade 12 comes.. you messed up grade 11 and now you're like, "Oh God, I really need to step it up!"
But now that term 2 is over, I feel myself way less stressed.. haven't done homework in 3 weeks. :P
The reason why I applied to a few and not just one is because I wanted to keep my options open, as well as keep my parents happy. Each school has something different to offer, whether it be co-op like Waterloo, or a nice campus in a central location like U of T, as well as a rigorous program.

This.

Personally, most of my stress is from IB. When 75-80% of your mark is determined by a series of exams in 1-2 days, it really sucks. And not knowing and waiting for programs is really stressful, because you start doubting yourself. And also stress over whether or not your grades will remain at the same level needed to retain your acceptance. I applied to six schools, which was kind of ridiculous, it would have only been 4 (three I really wanted to go to and a back up) had the other two not been free with ouac (I figured why not if I wasn't paying for them nor doing any extra work). Tuition sucks, I don't complain about it as I've been applying to scholarships like crazy and saving money for four years. I want to push myself to get the best/most difficult education possible and then go to the best law school possible etc... Hence why I'm concerned (somewhat) about reputation, I don't know I want to find the best school that fits for me, and a 4.0 from one school compared to a 4.0 from a school from a lesser reputation (obviously considering these are the only factors), the better school wins.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1

@cyynthiia wrote

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zainy1993 zainy1993
Well, I applied to 11 different programs in 8 universities which is insanely crazy. Originally I only wanted to apply to 5, but my mom made me apply to 6 more, since i wasn't really sure what i'd get in grade 12 and frankly im glad i did. My marks in 1 semester are really good, but my marks as of right now which is second semester really suck. I just hope I do well in my upcoming tests so I can get into Maclife sci? Also, who here thinks that the life sci averages will drop from last year, from what ive heard the cut-offs last year were preety high for mac and queens life sci. What do u guys think?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew

@zainy1993 wrote
Well, I applied to 11 different programs in 8 universities which is insanely crazy. Originally I only wanted to apply to 5, but my mom made me apply to 6 more, since i wasn't really sure what i'd get in grade 12 and frankly im glad i did. My marks in 1 semester are really good, but my marks as of right now which is second semester really suck. I just hope I do well in my upcoming tests so I can get into Maclife sci? Also, who here thinks that the life sci averages will drop from last year, from what ive heard the cut-offs last year were preety high for mac and queens life sci. What do u guys think?

Considering that you haven't told us your average, it's kind of hard to tell you whether or not you have a competitive average. But check out the cutoffs listed on electronicinfo.ca.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
And I thought this thread was supposed to de-stress us.
Your question is defeating the whole purpose.
@_____@
But I don't think the average will drop by much if it does, 1-2% at the most, there's so many applicants this year with high averages, just look at the people on this forum...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@GordonT wrote
Hey all,

I've been a regular creeper on the StudentAwards forums and have noticed some (to me, anyway), weird things!

First off, why so many applications? I've seen people with as many as ten different ones! I mean, really, why? I have pretty reasonable marks and was accepted to my uni, and because I knew I would be, I didn't bother going anywhere else in terms of applying.

Second, why so much in the way of 'reputation' and whatnot? To me, a business school is a business school. I couldn't care less of reputation - besides, as long as you have the gist of what you're learning, why bother worrying about reputation. This applies especially towards those seeking professional designations. If an employer is looking for an accountant, he is likely going to be looking for a CA, CMA, or CGA, not a McGill grad or UPEI grad. Why the caste system?

Third, why so much complaining about tuition? If you're that worried, come to school in Atlantic Canada! Memorial University's tuition is less than $3k and UPEI's is under $6k.

I realize you all might be stressed out about this, but why? It seems most of this is self-created stress. Really the only worry I have in taking a BBA at UPEI is that of money.

So I have to ask: why are some people around here so hung up on this stuff? I'm genuinely curious about it.

Thanks all,
Travis
Future UPEI BBA Student!

As you can see, I only applied to three programs. I am pretty chillaxed in terms of that. However, it's the supplementary programs I applied to such as Ivey and Scholar's Electives that I am super worried about.

Although many people tell me that undergrad is NOT important where you do it, I think it still might along the way...

Third, going to the Maritimes will be awesome possum but it will still be similar for me since I would have to pay rez and living costs. Plus, the cheap tuition, isn't that only for students who are residents of that province?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
I only wanted to do 4 apps- 3 in ontario and McGill. I knew from the beginning that I was going to get in where i applied, so the only question was how much money i would get and how much i liked the place.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
There is plenty of stress. There is supplementary application stress, acceptance stress, school mark stress, monetary stress, future stress. A lot of it is brought on by the unknown. Will you like your program? Is this what you want to do for your life? Will you be able to pay for it all?

However, I think, just like grade 12, it's gonna be a lot easier than hyped. Things always seem to work out when you try hard enough. That's not to say it won't be complicated, but just that these questions will resolve with time. The decisions made now only serve to refine your future possibilities, not vastly constrict it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@andrewk512 wrote
There is plenty of stress. There is supplementary application stress, acceptance stress, school mark stress, monetary stress, future stress. A lot of it is brought on by the unknown. Will you like your program? Is this what you want to do for your life? Will you be able to pay for it all?

However, I think, just like grade 12, it's gonna be a lot easier than hyped. Things always seem to work out when you try hard enough. That's not to say it won't be complicated, but just that these questions will resolve with time. The decisions made now only serve to refine your future possibilities, not vastly constrict it.

+ 1

I remember in elementary school they told us that at middle school we would have to hand-write everything and work much harder, which was far from the truth.... then in middle school they told us our marks would drop in high school and we would have to study all the time and it would be so much work which for the most part isn't true.... so how bad could university be? :bom:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
^ I think we've been (or at least I have) been told this every single year since grade 1. You have to do this cause it'll be much harder next year. You'll have more responsibilities next year. You won't get as much help from teachers next year blah blah blah. The future is always over hyped.

With that said, I kind of liked the stress. I worked way harder this year than I have in quite awhile. And what's wrong with working a little more for the early acceptance? You have that sense of relief months earlier and more than that, the feeling you get for knowing that you got early acceptance is totally awesome :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
I think that the public school system, at least in part, operates off of the basis of fear. In my experience, I've always found teachers to be more "threatening of consequences" than "giving incentive of rewards". At the end of the day though, I find that a mediated amount of stress often helps you propel yourself further. When you're stuck within your comfort zone, it can be difficult to grow as an intellectual. In any case, I'm just going to be crossing my fingers for university :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JessaBrown JessaBrown

@Impasse wrote
^ I think we've been (or at least I have) been told this every single year since grade 1. You have to do this cause it'll be much harder next year. You'll have more responsibilities next year. You won't get as much help from teachers next year blah blah blah. The future is always over hyped.

With that said, I kind of liked the stress. I worked way harder this year than I have in quite awhile. And what's wrong with working a little more for the early acceptance? You have that sense of relief months earlier and more than that, the feeling you get for knowing that you got early acceptance is totally awesome :P

I agree. I remember a career expert of sorts visited my seventh grade class and told us that if we weren't sure of what career path we wanted to take by the time we hit grade nine we were screwed for life. xD

I loved the feeling of early acceptance :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JessaBrown JessaBrown

@heesoup wrote

Third, going to the Maritimes will be awesome possum but it will still be similar for me since I would have to pay rez and living costs. Plus, the cheap tuition, isn't that only for students who are residents of that province?

I'm not sure if it's the same in the Maritimes, but I do know that if you attend school in Quebec and you are out of province you only have to pay the extra bit of tuition the first year (which amounts to a regular tuition fee in ON), and then everything else is the same price as if you were a Quebec resident. The next year your tuition would then be equivalent to a Quebec residents in that program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lmao lmao
I applied to like about 9 programs just for fun, i had my top 3-4 cut out for me. like I love getting acceptances lmao, like on my ouac when it says offer it's so satisfying.. I feel like such a pimp.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93
^ + 1 to all of those posts (except lmao's, sorry bud :pale:)

I can't wait for university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
What's the typical undergrad tuition in Ontario anymore? $7k???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
What's the typical undergrad tuition in Ontario anymore? $7k???

Seems like it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0