yconic - University Toronto; Taking 5 credits?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University Toronto; Taking 5 credits?

A photo of History History
Hey,

I am attending Rotman this September. I wanted to take 5 credits just so that I could graduate within 4 years (I don't want to take summerschool, at all). I wanted to ask if it was doable to put concentrate on 5 courses and actually accumulate a rather high GPA? Is it possible? Is it going to be too stressful? Should I just take 4? I really want to take 5, but I am concerned.

Have any of you taken 5 courses during a term? If so, how was it, ya'll?

Thanks a lot guys.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I've never been to Rotman, but I've done as high as 6 courses a Term, and I have gotten A's in all. I'm your standtard university engineering student....study, party, sleep, repeat.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
To get moderately good grades, it's typically one hour of studying everyday for every course you are in. It has to be consistant however- you must do it everyday. Studying for exams, tests, and large projects requires additional time on top.

You'll lose more of your free time, but if you are able to maintain commitment, then you should be fine.

Now Rotman is tough and you want top standing, so let's make that 1.5 hours for every class; = 7.5 hours everyday.

Besides, at Sauder (UBC), to be eligible for the Dean's List, you have to take 5 courses in at least one of your semesters from September-April AND maintain at least a 85% average, and there are certainly people who manage. Ide assume Rotman has a similar system...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
I'm in Life Sciences at UTSG, but have done 5 courses for two semesters now, and it is definitely possible. As others have pointed out, your program may be more intensive, and since it's UofT anyway, you're going to have to be very committed. As much free time as you'll lose, you'll have 4 months of summer to make up for it. It'll be worth it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of aimango aimango
Just finished my first year. I took 5.5 credits Fall term, 5 in Winter. I had to attend classes, tutorials and labs usually 8 hours a day, except a few lucky days where its only 6 hours. It was hectic and quite hard to keep up with, I lost a TON of sleep, but I crammed and worked hard and did fine. Starting next year I am required to take a full load of 6 courses. haha, so excited.

I don't know how difficult Rotman is, but I am pretty sure the workload is comparable to my program. Definitely take 5 credits, if you really cant handle it you can drop 1 before the last drop date. It might be hard to juggle things at first, but you just needa time manage.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@aimango wrote
Just finished my first year. I took 5.5 credits Fall term, 5 in Winter. I had to attend classes, tutorials and labs usually 8 hours a day, except a few lucky days where its only 6 hours. It was hectic and quite hard to keep up with, I lost a TON of sleep, but I crammed and worked hard and did fine. Starting next year I am required to take a full load of 6 courses. haha, so excited.

Why are you doing this to yourself?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@littleroom wrote

@aimango wrote

Why are you doing this to yourself?

Because aimango is a software engineer. They are the most hardcore people at UW.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Actually earlier this year I was considering dropping down to CS, because it's really easy to do that for us. I did a lot of comparison - pros and cons & whatnot. Decided to stay because my program has higher prestige, a better "community" feeling since we take all the same classes, and I just feel like the hard work will be worth it. I guess the only thing I really missed out on this year was having a better social life, but it's not hard to change that around for next year ^^
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@aimango wrote
Actually earlier this year I was considering dropping down to CS, because it's really easy to do that for us. I did a lot of comparison - pros and cons & whatnot. Decided to stay because my program has higher prestige, a better "community" feeling since we take all the same classes, and I just feel like the hard work will be worth it. I guess the only thing I really missed out on this year was having a better social life, but it's not hard to change that around for next year ^^

You get what you go for right? Prestige comes at a price; but being able to talk about being in an awesome program is totally worth it. I think it gets easier to manage things as you progress because you get a good feel for what you need to do to do well with as little effort as possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@aimango wrote

You get what you go for right? Prestige comes at a price; but being able to talk about being in an awesome program is totally worth it. I think it gets easier to manage things as you progress because you get a good feel for what you need to do to do well with as little effort as possible.

Definitely ^^
Oh yeah and I'd like to mention that I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Prior to accepting, I had no idea that engineers had such hectic schedules compared to everyone else. Haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SnowDays SnowDays
It is actually pretty hard to deal with 5 credits, and im in humanities (i dont know why architecture would be considered humanities but...). i had to drop half a credit to keep up just because i was not taking school seriously the first semester. even the second semester was hard to keep up with 5 :s.

however if you are willing to read everyday like your suppose to and not leave it till the last week then you should be fine. i have a bunch of friends in rotman this yr and they were all struggling with a lot of courses (oh how they loved rsm and eco...)

If this helps you Rotman has 40% drop-out rate which means even if you are in the pre-rotman program first yr it does not mean you will get to go on to the second yr :(

if im not wrong they require you to pass calculus and have a min mark of 65 (or maybe 67) in econ and rsm...which...trust me...is not easy at rotman but definitely manageable if you don't slack off too much

definitely take 5 to begin with! or maybe even 6, and then as you feel the pressure and workload going up, too fast for you to keep up with, then drop one (or even 2). because its better to take more at first and have a choice of what to drop rather than not taking enough and having to stick with those courses the whole year :)

GOOD LUCK!
Was this helpful? Yes 0