yconic - university verifying self reported grades?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

university verifying self reported grades?

A photo of Leesh1993 Leesh1993
I self reported for McGill as I am a BC student. I heard from people year before that some people lied during self reporting and got accepted (i know, wtf). It seems weird to me that they only base admission for people in BC with self reported grades. I mean, shouldn't they verify the reported grades? I asked them about this and got a reply:

"there is now a request for "proof of graduation" which is essentially the final transcript which is issued in June, we will verify what was reported against the final transcript at that time. the admission officer will review the file when we receive the final transcript in June."

Shouldn't they check the grades in May against reported grades and rescind offers and stuff to people who lied? It just seems unfair to ppl who got in honestly. if McGill rescind offer in June, but they (ppl who lied during self reporting) already accepted the offer then they have no university to go next year and that's kinda harsh...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of KarZ KarZ
What UBC does is that if there is a discrepancy between self reported grades and those received from the ministry, then they will use the official grades to redetermine eligibility for admission. I would expect McGill to do the same thing.

I don't think it's harsh though. You lie when reporting your grades to gain admission, why would you expect to get away with it if you know your marks are going to be verified? Just seems like a simple cause-and-effect to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
The PSI sends your marks twice, so they will be able to verify it.
PSI sends your marks once in early May and then again in July with your final grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Of course they don't only go by your self-reported marks. The acceptances are conditional, meaning they'll check your marks against your transcript to verify them. If you lied, you lose your acceptance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
How is that harsh? It's lenient. If I designed the system, I would make sure that went on record and would factor strongly into following attempts at admission.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato

@Leesh1993 wrote
It just seems unfair to ppl who got in honestly. if McGill rescind offer in June, but they (ppl who lied during self reporting) already accepted the offer then they have no university to go next year and that's kinda harsh...

The punishment fits the crime.
Was this helpful? Yes 0