yconic - University vs. Business Field
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University vs. Business Field

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey guys,

I'm sure that most people on this forum have heard the general arguments about which university is better for Finance, Consulting, Accounting etc.

There is evidence that some universities have better recruiting for certain industries when compared to most other universities (i.e. Schulich for Accounting or Ivey for Finance).

Is the allocation of individuals to various industries or business fields largely determined by the university itself, or is more determined of the individuals within the university?

The question may seem silly at first, but here is an example that might help you understand why I'm asking this: Ivey sends more students to Investment Banking (just an example) when compared to Queens. Does this mean that Ivey students are overall more interested in Investment Banking when compared to Queens or does it mean that its easier to get into Investment Banking in Ivey when compared to Queens.

The allocation of individuals to each business field concerns me, is it based more upon the individuals themselves, (i.e. if I want to go to Finance, it doesn't matter where I go), or is it more determined on the program itself?

Hopefully someone can decipher what I just said, i'ts really repetitive.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Connections --> Ivey has the best alumni network, therefore they get the best jobs in a field (finance) all about connections
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@g93 wrote
Connections --> Ivey has the best alumni network, therefore they get the best jobs in a field (finance) all about connections

My question is more focusing on the type of people at each university. Do more people go to ivey with the idea of going into Finance when compared to other universities?

i.e. does Ivey produce more people going to finance because people WANT TO go there for finance, or because they choose to go to Finance afterwards due to Ivey's connections?
Was this helpful? Yes 0