yconic - Unoffical Waterloo/Laurier Double Degree Thread
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Unoffical Waterloo/Laurier Double Degree Thread

A photo of CanadaBoy CanadaBoy
Hey!

Anyone else considering this program? Seems like a great opportunity to study at both WLU/UW and take in two great disciplines.

The old forums had a huge thread on this, so I thought these new forums needed one at least equally as huge!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
24 replies

A photo of g93 g93

I thought these new forums needed one equally as huge

Wah wah wah............................................
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Oh snap, an acceptance already? How did you get in without filling out your AIFs? Or are you an out-of-province student?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
My mind keeps switching between: "This has got to be one of the best programs available" and "The workload is killer and the risk of dropping to a single degree is too great".

How did you get accepted already?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

No, I haven't filled out the AIF yet. Yes, I'm an out of province student.

lanSharer, you should really apply! I know someone who is currently taking the program can explain better, but it seems that the workload, while high, is not so hard you have no social time. On top of that, it's a good safety because you can selectively drop out of either the BCS or the BBA and still retain your credits for the other.

Also, I wasn't aware that this was so early an acceptance. I actually got accepted on the 20th of December, and I applied through OUAC on Remembrance Day. I got the rest of my Waterloo acceptances that day as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Waterloo has been known to give earlier acceptances for out-of-province, international students. Congrats on the offer!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
For those of us applying through both UW and WLU, which one are you planning to make your home school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx

@North wrote
For those of us applying through both UW and WLU, which one are you planning to make your home school?

I'll worry about that if I get accepted to either, mon ami.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
Waterloo has been known to give earlier acceptances for out-of-province, international students. Congrats on the offer!

I'm not an international student, just out-of-province. Unless you meant out-of-province OR international student, in which case, you might be right.

Anyways, I am applying through both and plan to do it through WLU unless I earn any significant scholarships at Waterloo. Laurier has a higher entrance scholarship for me, and I also enjoy social events so it seems like it is a better fit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah, I meant both.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How much does Waterloo cut off for taking a summer school course for this program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote
How much does Waterloo cut off for taking a summer school course for this program?

I am not 100% sure, but I am fairly confident that it is 2% off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote

2 percent off of FINAL? This is just for Math Dept, right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote

@g93 wrote

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote

2 percent off of FINAL? This is just for Math Dept, right?

2% off of final summer school course mark. I'll try and find the source later.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
From Software engineering site:

Repeated Courses
We don't encourage high school students to repeat courses because it doesn't help them to become better prepared for the challenges of our program. It's usually a better idea to put your time and energy into doing well in any courses you are currently taking or will be taking, and continue involvement in extracurricular activities.

On the Admission Information Form, we will ask you for an explanation for any repeated senior high school courses. We usually take one mark off of your overall admission average for each repeated course. We take an average of 6 courses, so that translates into a 6 mark penalty on the individual (repeated) course mark.

I don't know if thats the same for all of Waterloo. I'll keep looking for the one I found originally.

EDIT

From AFM/Find Out More
Repeated courses & non day school courses
Repeated courses
Courses other than day school
Repeated courses
•For all programs, repeated courses may be reviewed during the admissions process.
•The admission average for all programs will be calculated using the highest Grade 12 U or M mark in a repeated subject.
•On your Admissions Information Form (AIF), you'll be asked to comment on repeated courses. We'll provide you with instructions about the AIF once you've applied to the University of Waterloo.
•For Faculty of Engineering programs, including Software Engineering and excluding Architecture, you may have 3 to 5 percentage marks (3% - 5%) deducted from your total overall admission average, and you might not be considered for Faculty of Engineering Entrance Scholarships.
•For Faculty of Mathematics programs, your overall admission score may be adjusted for each Grade 12 course that is repeated.
•For all other faculties and programs, including Architecture, each case will be given individual consideration when the admission decision is made.
Courses other than day school

For students presenting Ontario secondary school courses
Provided that the school or institution is accredited by the Ontario Ministry of Education, the University of Waterloo will accept grade 12 U and M courses regardless of how or where the course is taken, e.g.,

•day school (high school)
•summer school
•night school
•correspondence courses
•private school
•e-learning
•virtual learning courses
You may be asked to list the courses you have taken or are taking outside of regular day school on your Admission Information Form.

If you have taken or are taking courses outside of regular day school and have applied to a program in the Faculty of Mathematics, in some cases your overall admission score will be adjusted.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@CanadaBoy wrote
lanSharer, you should really apply! I know someone who is currently taking the program can explain better, but it seems that the workload, while high, is not so hard you have no social time. On top of that, it's a good safety because you can selectively drop out of either the BCS or the BBA and still retain your credits for the other.

This x a million
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey Noxx!

Since you're doing the program right now, could you clear up some of my questions?

1) What is your home school?
2) What's the atmosphere like? In general, and amongst the DD students. Is it tight-knit (seeing as there are only 60 students) or is competitive?
3) Is there a general entrepreneurial feel to the campus/community? Weird question, I know, but I am definitely interested in starting my own business during/after Uni and want to go to a university where innovation is encouraged, thinking outside of the box, etc. versus conventional schooling.

Thanks in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@CanadaBoy wrote
Hey Noxx!

Since you're doing the program right now, could you clear up some of my questions?

1) What is your home school?
2) What's the atmosphere like? In general, and amongst the DD students. Is it tight-knit (seeing as there are only 60 students) or is competitive?
3) Is there a general entrepreneurial feel to the campus/community? Weird question, I know, but I am definitely interested in starting my own business during/after Uni and want to go to a university where innovation is encouraged, thinking outside of the box, etc. versus conventional schooling.

Thanks in advance!

1) WLU.

2) I really enjoy the WLU environment as a whole, people like to have fun, and theres always something to do. It's actually about 180-200 students, although it will be closer to 100, then 200 after first year. It's really a tight knit bunch. Since we have the same schedule, DD's walk to and from class with each other. There definitely is some competition, but personally, I try not to talk about marks as much as possible with others, as it generally creates tension/jealousy, and it just isn't worth it.

3) There is not a ton of people focused on entrepreneurship, but I also think its something you grow into overtime. Check out http://velocity.uwaterloo.ca/tag/entrepreneurs-in-residence/page/2 . It's a residence at UW, where people eat breath and sleep entrepreneurship. Max Spear, is actually a DD student (in 5B right now I believe), who is working on a project there ( http://velocity.uwaterloo.ca/student-posts/heres-looking-at-you-cinq-me ). This is really the place to be for entrepreneurship. Check it out. WLU also has an entrepreneurship centre where you can get a fair amount of help with setting up your own venture.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of peterv peterv
Thanks Noxx!

I was wondering if ECs play a huge role is admission decision. My marks are about low 80s this term, probably around the 83 mark for the 1st semester. My second semester I predict will be around the 85 mark based on grade 11 estimation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@peterv wrote
Thanks Noxx!

I was wondering if ECs play a huge role is admission decision. My marks are about low 80s this term, probably around the 83 mark for the 1st semester. My second semester I predict will be around the 85 mark based on grade 11 estimation.

EC's help, but you still have to be within 3% at WLU, and UW I think is more mark based. If you can pull it up to an 87 you have a chance as long as your EC's are strong. Otherwise I recommend you look at the WLU only DD programs, or going into either BBA or math/cs and trying to transfer after first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is it hard to get to classes between universities, especially in Winter? I heard that you are only scheduled 10 minutes between classes. It's a minor detail, but I'm interested in what current students are doing to address the problem.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
In first year you have atleast 1.5 hours to get between the two schools. After that, just schedule your classes so that you can try and limit the problem. The bus system however is excellent. You can get picked up right across from the business building and be dropped off right at the math building. This is a really small issue in the long run, and one you shouldnt hinder you at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caprarp caprarp
Bump :)

I believe acceptances should be coming out from the Waterloo side soon!
Anybody else apply?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ownful Ownful

@caprarp wrote
Bump :)

I believe acceptances should be coming out from the Waterloo side soon!
Anybody else apply?

I applied to this with a 98 average, but since I haven't gotten accepted yet people in another thread told me it's cause I completely bombed my AIF. lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0