yconic - UofA for Comp Eng or Waterloo for Comp Sci
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UofA for Comp Eng or Waterloo for Comp Sci

A photo of Tyche Tyche
Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a bind... I need to decide between the University of Alberta for Computer Engineering and Waterloo for Computer Science. I'm aware that Waterloo is more recognized in the industry (probably will be doing software engineering).

Is Waterloo's reputation worth giving up an engineering degree for computer science?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Bscit Bscit
Why didnt you just go for computer engineering at Waterloo? Anyways if you want engineering that much i would do Software Engineering. Also ive heard that Uni of Alberta isnt bad for IT programs. Choice is yours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS
That depends on what you want. If you want to do mostly programming, then go to Waterloo, if you want an engineering degree, then go to Alberta. Its easier to switch from computer engineering to comp sci then it it's the other way around though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
U of A is pretty well recognized internationally for Comp Sci/Eng. Where would you rather live?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tyche Tyche
Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't apply for Computer Engineering at Waterloo because I'm actually going to be a transfer student. As such, Comp Eng at Waterloo would take 2 years longer than CS at Waterloo or Comp Eng at UofA.

I'm also living in Edmonton right now. It's alright living here, I suppose. Though I don't have much to compare it too since I've been here all my life. I'd think Waterloo, being close to Toronto, would be a lot of fun.

Anyone living in Waterloo have anything to say about living there?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of drexu drexu

@Tyche wrote
Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't apply for Computer Engineering at Waterloo because I'm actually going to be a transfer student. As such, Comp Eng at Waterloo would take 2 years longer than CS at Waterloo or Comp Eng at UofA.

I'm also living in Edmonton right now. It's alright living here, I suppose. Though I don't have much to compare it too since I've been here all my life. I'd think Waterloo, being close to Toronto, would be a lot of fun.

Anyone living in Waterloo have anything to say about living there?

Hey, you are in the same shoes as me. Currently in Calgary at the moment, also applying to uWaterloo Engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose
Uhh, Waterloo is nice? I'm also from Alberta, came here for university. I'm taking CS here, it's cool.

I really don't know what you want me to say... you haven't really asked anything. :P I think I'd like school here far better than in Edmonton.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tyche Tyche

@greygoose wrote
Uhh, Waterloo is nice? I'm also from Alberta, came here for university. I'm taking CS here, it's cool.

I really don't know what you want me to say... you haven't really asked anything. :P I think I'd like school here far better than in Edmonton.

What are your reasons for thinking that school at Waterloo would be much better than Edmonton? I've kinda-sorta been itching to get out of Edmonton, but I don't know if it's the best choice at the moment. I'm financially better off here, especially considering Waterloo's tuition is higher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I lived in Edmonton all my life, did my undergrad at the U of A and am now doing grad school at U of T. I have truly discovered that a city is what you make of it, but there's a lot to be said about leaving all your friends and family behind. Toronto is a lot less fun without them. I totally loved the U of A and also loved having lots of money left over after I did my degree because I was living at home and it was cheaper.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@Tyche wrote

@greygoose wrote

What are your reasons for thinking that school at Waterloo would be much better than Edmonton? I've kinda-sorta been itching to get out of Edmonton, but I don't know if it's the best choice at the moment. I'm financially better off here, especially considering Waterloo's tuition is higher.

Well, first of all, Edmonton is hellishly cold. Also, I'm from southern Alberta, so it's not like I would have had any friends there. It would have possibly been cheaper, but UofA's math program doesn't compare at all to UWaterloo's. I went to Waterloo for program strength and because it was far away from home. Money wasn't really an issue in the decision, since either way I wouldn't be living at home.

It is a bit easier to find employment in Waterloo; Ontario has much more tech industry than in Alberta, particularly if you're looking for CS-related work. So obviously that helps with the costs of tuition.

But I said *I* much prefer school in Waterloo. I did not mean to imply everyone would. Certainly, it sounds like it may not be the best decision for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0