yconic - UofA vs UofT?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UofA vs UofT?

A photo of Paridhi Paridhi
Hi guys,

So I'm in a little bit of a dilemma, should I go to UofT or UofA for life sciences? Specifically, physiology (biological science).
And this is just undergrad, I plan on taking med school after this.

Any suggestions would be great! For anyone who actually goes to either university for life sci, please let me know how it's like there!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
They're both good schools, you could get into med school from either of them. I went to U of A for my undergrad (engineering) and am now at U of T for my Master's. I personally like Edmonton a bit better than Toronto at the moment, but that's because I have a much better social life in Edmonton because all my friends live there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Paridhi Paridhi
Thanks! After some discussion with a few people, I've chosen to go to UofA for my undergrad.

How did you like there? What was it like? Academics? Profs? Social life?

I'm from Calgary, so I don't know how Edmonton would be like (I don't think it's too different) so I'm just wondering. Thanks for your reply! :)
Good luck with your masters!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
The only reason I'd go to U of T, if I were you, is if I really wanted a change of scenery, which is actually part of the reason I chose to come out to Alberta. Not that it's a huge difference, but you are 3,000 km from home, in a place where you don't know anyone, left to fend for yourself. I like it (particularly now that I have a solid social base here), but I know some people just can't handle it.

From an outsider's perspective (i.e. Edmonton-Calgary rivalry aside), I prefer Calgary. It's a cleaner, more modern city, and it's closer to the mountains. Aside from that, I think they're very similar cities. One thing that is nice about Edmonton, from a student's perspective, is that the university, downtown, and Whyte Ave are close to one another, and transportation between these places is very good.

The questions that you asked are very vague. There are thousands of profs at U of A; some are good, some are bad, most are in between. I'm sure the same could be said for just about any university. Social life - that has a lot to do with what you make of it. If you want your typical university experience, then I'd suggest spending at least your first year at Lister residence. Otherwise, the U of A is really just a place of business. Students come to learn, profs come to teach and do research, and staff come to keep the place running. I find that a lot of the students are from Edmonton, so they see the university purely as a place for education. This is where I find U of A and UWO, the other university I studied at, really differ. U of A students don't have a lot of pride in their school, but whatever... Any other differences between the two schools would require me to unnecessarily nit-pick, and I bet you could say the same when you're comparing any two Canadian schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@Paridhi wrote
Thanks! After some discussion with a few people, I've chosen to go to UofA for my undergrad.

How did you like there? What was it like? Academics? Profs? Social life?

I'm from Calgary, so I don't know how Edmonton would be like (I don't think it's too different) so I'm just wondering. Thanks for your reply! :)
Good luck with your masters!

My undergrad was great. I had a lot of fun. As for academics and profs, unless you're in engineering, and even then, what I thought might not even affect you. Most of my profs were great, some were bad.

I had a great social life in Edmonton, because I grew up there I had a great group of friends and made even more friends throughout university. I don't think Calgary is that different from Edmonton either.

U of A is definitely a commuter school, but so is U of T. Some people like to move really far away from home for school, some people don't. I stayed at home for school and only applied to the U of A or U of C. I wanted to be able to come home if I wanted and it was the right decision for me. My boyfriend moved from Toronto to Edmonton, and it was right for him.
Was this helpful? Yes 0