yconic - UofT Lifesciences--Do they consider marks outside the top 6?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UofT Lifesciences--Do they consider marks outside the top 6?

A photo of supernerd707 supernerd707
My problem is that the marks that I absolutely need to get into the program are not as high as some of my other classes. In English, my teacher teaches 2 of the 4 grade 12 English classes. I'm actually getting one of the highest marks in his class. I've gotten 90s on all of his assignments, except one where I got a 70. He is a very hard marker-- I'm only getting 83. There are only 3 other people who I know are getting 80s. Everyone else is getting a 70. My bio, advance functions, calculus, and chem marks are not that high either. Mid 80s, chem 88.

I also take a few humanities courses, these subjects I excel at. Philosophy, economics, politics are all mid 90s. I love essay writing. But none of these subjects are going to be considered for my top 6 marks, b/c UofT has to look at English, chem, biology, calculus, advance functions, and I guess one of the humanities courses I take.

So will they look at it?

And any secrets, tips to getting my average to a 92? I really want that $2000 scholarship. And for the scholarship, do they only consider that average that you get into university with? Or do they consider the average you graduated with?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of JaadeC JaadeC
I got into Life sciences a UTSG vic college with not sooo high marks, really...
I had the same thing: In Belgium your grades depend on your high school. I'm in one of the hardest so I had to study ALL the time to have some 80's while some other kids at easier schools got 90's by never opening their books. I mean, I did not party at all for more than a year. I know I got amazing grades for my high school... but still, its only an average of 80/85.
So I think you have all your chances! Just send your grades... You can't do anything else ! You won't send a special letter to UT.. Cross fingers :p The worse that can happen is that you dont get in UT which happens also if you dont try :)
And your grades are good. I had one 70 also. Don't worry, if you're not already offered admission, you will I'm sure...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sheldore Sheldore
No they don't, I got accepted and I got a 70% in grade 12 english and an overall grade 12 average in the low 80's, but that was cause I totally slacked off and chilled after I got my acceptance letter. In reality, U of T accepts a ton of students, the cut-off is like 75% grade 12 avg. which is really low, they know that they can make some money off of these poor kids so they accept alot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
Yep, I would think your marks are fine now.
But next year... we'll see if you can still keep the 80s...
UTSG will kill you GPA wise.
:(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Terrl Terrl
The average for science is 86.6%.

http://cudo.utoronto.ca/2010/index.php
Was this helpful? Yes 0