yconic - UofT or Waterloo?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UofT or Waterloo?

A photo of tcyl tcyl
I've been accepted to systems design at Waterloo and industrial engineering at UofT.. and I can't decide on which program. They honestly sound pretty similar to me, even after reading the FAQ on the SYDE website. Can anyone give any insight between the two programs? Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
From what i gather systems design is like a jack of all trades kind of engineering. Your not really anything specific you can look at different aspects of each program ex. mech,electrical etc.

Industrial engineering (google it) deals with systems seen in business, banking, manufacturing (anywhere where efficiency can be improved) Its making things more efficient. Look up operations research, information systems and human factors. IMO its closer to applied math then engineering. (esp operations research) For the program look at uofts website and they give you a course calender.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Mig Mig
Systems and indy are actually very different programs. I am not too familiar with indy, however I can tell you abit about SYDE.

A bit of a warning: I like you, am still a high-school student and have not actually attended SYDE, yet. Everything I know about the program I know from; reading their site, meeting with/emailing SYDE alumni and professors, and researching the careers of SYDE alumni.

It's true that the first 2 years of systems gives you lot of breadth, which will effectively make you the jack of all trades. However, you also get chance to specialize on your last two years and you can pursue options, minors, and sometimes even double degrees. Systems is designed to teach you how to integrate many different types of engineering aspects together, so that you can effectively lead engineering teams doing interdisciplinary projects. Many systems graduates have become project managers, vice-presidents, CEO's at a variety of different industries because of this orientation. Overall systems provides ALOT of career options, trains you to think broadly about design challenges and is designed for people who want a broad education.

edit: oh yeah, if you don't mind answering, what was your acceptance average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0