yconic - UofT questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UofT questions

A photo of milliewu milliewu
1. If you transfer to UofT in your 2nd year, do you automatically get put into Woodsworth or do you still get considered for the other colleges.

2. Is UofT as bad as people say it is? What are the pro & con for social sciences in UofT.

3. Is UofT good for undergraduates?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of littleroom littleroom
There are so many threads going on about this. I don't feel like writing again what I've written so many times now....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sheldore Sheldore

@milliewu wrote
1. If you transfer to UofT in your 2nd year, do you automatically get put into Woodsworth or do you still get considered for the other colleges.

2. Is UofT as bad as people say it is? What are the pro & con for social sciences in UofT.

1. I'm guessing when you applied you put Woodsworth as your first choice when you applied or your marks were too low for Trin (you poor soul), why your talking about 2nd year I don't know, did you get rejected from UTSG?, but yes it is possible to switch colleges but the registrar's at UTSG and in most universities are generally very disorganized and very unhelpful, most likely trying to switch colleges would be a long and annoying process where at one point you will most likely get into a fight with one of the people that work in your registrar and insult them with curse words. Also switching to UTSG is harder than to most other universities, you must keep solid marks wherever you go for first year or more to be considered for a possible transfer.

2. It really depends, it really is challenging so don't come here thinking you can half-ass school and get good marks, you need to put all your focus and concentration in school to pull off high grades, its challenging but getting those marks is really satisfying in the end. The pros are that UofT is a really respected school and the variety of courses offered at the school are amazing and really a + for students in all fields, you can take courses in various disciplines that interest you and are taught by top-flight professors. Vic is the best college for the social sciences, especially with VicOne and all. The cons are that nothing at UofT will be given to you, there's no pampering here, you either go big or GO HOME.

3. Depends if your planning on doing post-grad/professional school, etc. There's really 2 sides to look at. Let me explain:
- UofT is a very challenging institution where the best and brightest across Canada come to study, and it really has a competitive environment. The downside to that is that the marks are a little harder to get here and that really means you have to know your shiiit down to the T to get good marks. The professors are a little less approachable as to how there are so many students in 1st and 2nd year classes it seems that there isn't enough time for people to see their profs. The school is also largely commuter based so its not a really social school, people are really focused on academics and you will sometimes feel cold and lonely but that all depends on you, you have to make effort not only in school but socially to meet people and enjoy your undergrad experience.
- If a high gpa is your top priority then UofT may not be your best choice, but the one thing that I guarantee you will get from UofT that you won't get from most other institutions in Ontario is the most important learning experience of your life. At UofT you will see what its like to bomb a midterm and how you handle it and bounce back. You will learn about yourself, what kind of person you are and how strong you are. You will also learn the meaning of 'hard work pays off'. Trust me, you will totally understand that phrase once you finish a year at UofT.

That's all I got for you kids. Choose wisely.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@Sheldore wrote

@milliewu wrote

1. I'm guessing when you applied you put Woodsworth as your first choice when you applied or your marks were too low for Trin (you poor soul), why your talking about 2nd year I don't know, did you get rejected from UTSG?, but yes it is possible to switch colleges but the registrar's at UTSG and in most universities are generally very disorganized and very unhelpful, most likely trying to switch colleges would be a long and annoying process where at one point you will most likely get into a fight with one of the people that work in your registrar and insult them with curse words. Also switching to UTSG is harder than to most other universities, you must keep solid marks wherever you go for first year or more to be considered for a possible transfer.

2. It really depends, it really is challenging so don't come here thinking you can half-ass school and get good marks, you need to put all your focus and concentration in school to pull off high grades, its challenging but getting those marks is really satisfying in the end. The pros are that UofT is a really respected school and the variety of courses offered at the school are amazing and really a + for students in all fields, you can take courses in various disciplines that interest you and are taught by top-flight professors. Vic is the best college for the social sciences, especially with VicOne and all. The cons are that nothing at UofT will be given to you, there's no pampering here, you either go big or GO HOME.

3. Depends if your planning on doing post-grad/professional school, etc. There's really 2 sides to look at. Let me explain:
- UofT is a very challenging institution where the best and brightest across Canada come to study, and it really has a competitive environment. The downside to that is that the marks are a little harder to get here and that really means you have to know your shiiit down to the T to get good marks. The professors are a little less approachable as to how there are so many students in 1st and 2nd year classes it seems that there isn't enough time for people to see their profs. The school is also largely commuter based so its not a really social school, people are really focused on academics and you will sometimes feel cold and lonely but that all depends on you, you have to make effort not only in school but socially to meet people and enjoy your undergrad experience.
- If a high gpa is your top priority then UofT may not be your best choice, but the one thing that I guarantee you will get from UofT that you won't get from most other institutions in Ontario is the most important learning experience of your life. At UofT you will see what its like to bomb a midterm and how you handle it and bounce back. You will learn about yourself, what kind of person you are and how strong you are. You will also learn the meaning of 'hard work pays off'. Trust me, you will totally understand that phrase once you finish a year at UofT.

+1 (what I would've said if I weren't so lazy).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@littleroom wrote
There are so many threads going on about this. I don't feel like writing again what I've written so many times now....

Umm, was it necessary to write that? If you didn't want to rewrite what you did in other threads then be it. Seriously.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Sheldore wrote

@milliewu wrote

No... I was not put into Woodsworth. I am asking about the colleges for transfer students in general. Do you still have to rank your colleges, similar to when you applied in high school?
- btw, I'm still in HS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0