yconic - UofT student became an American Lawyer?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UofT student became an American Lawyer?

A photo of Minia5 Minia5
A relative of mine attending Western University then the University of Toronto (for Law School I believe). She is now a lawyer in Los Angeles and I'm 80% sure she did studied Law School in Canada, not America. How is that possible?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of RichardS RichardS
I think after you practice law in Canada for 5 years some states will allow you to write the bar exam there. Other states then have the clause the if your admitted to the bar in another state you don't need an American law degree to write theirs.

Also, some schools like York and Windsor offer joint degrees with an American university so that when you graduate you can write in the bar in both countries.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
A JD degree (what most Canadian law schools are offering now) allows you to write the bar to practice in either Canada or the U.S. As long as you pass the bar in that state or province you can practice there, even if you didn't go to school there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Minia5 Minia5
But isn't the laws much different than American states? By the way, she's a Criminal Defense Lawyer and haves a great job in LA, California. I also want to follow the same steps as her but I always assumed that I have to attend a Law School in California to become a lawyer in California. So you can study law in Canada but you just have to pass the bar in Cali despite how the laws are different? Will you have to take extra school by the way?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Minia5 Minia5
But isn't the laws much different than American states? By the way, she's a Criminal Defense Lawyer and haves a great job in LA, California. I also want to follow the same steps as her but I always assumed that I have to attend a Law School in California to become a lawyer in California. So you can study law in Canada but you just have to pass the bar in Cali despite how the laws are different? Will you have to take extra school by the way?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yatesb Yatesb

@Minia5 wrote

I may be wrong, but I believe ARMY101 answered this with

@ARMY101 wrote
A JD degree (what most Canadian law schools are offering now) allows you to write the bar to practice in either Canada or the U.S. As long as you pass the bar in that state or province you can practice there, even if you didn't go to school there.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Minia5 wrote
But isn't the laws much different than American states?

Yes. But law school doesn't teach you the literal law, per se, it teaches you how to argue for your clients, how to research and interview, how to follow case law, etc.

So you can study law in Canada but you just have to pass the bar in Cali despite how the laws are different? Will you have to take extra school by the way?

Yes. No, you don't need any extra school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Minia5 Minia5

@ARMY101 wrote

@Minia5 wrote
But isn't the laws much different than American states?

Yes. But law school doesn't teach you the literal law, per se, it teaches you how to argue for your clients, how to research and interview, how to follow case law, etc.

So you can study law in Canada but you just have to pass the bar in Cali despite how the laws are different? Will you have to take extra school by the way?

Yes. No, you don't need any extra school.

Thanks so much. I was worried about attending Law School in America because for international students, you would have to pay probably triple of what an American citizen is paying. Thanks again! :sunny:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
Yes, if you pass a certain bar exam then you can practice there. However, not very many states will let you write their bar exam without obtaining your JD at an American Bar Association acredited school. Look up California's policy on that before you make all of these plans for your future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@Minia5 wrote
A relative of mine attending Western University then the University of Toronto (for Law School I believe). She is now a lawyer in Los Angeles and I'm 80% sure she did studied Law School in Canada, not America. How is that possible?

She's probably a witch or something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0