yconic - UofT: Subject of Major Interest?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UofT: Subject of Major Interest?

A photo of itruffles itruffles
So I know you don't declare your major until 2nd year but I've heard that the subject of major interest you choose can affect your acceptance? They use the info for statistical reasons so I'd assume that they'd try to predict the # of students that would major in this or that ... or something ...

My question is what should I put as my subject of major interest so that I can get accepted easily then declare a major 2nd year? I think you can change it on OUAC and midterms are sent April 28th. I have time. For now it's criminology but I was reading an old thread and someone with an 80.5 average got rejected from UTSG for criminology. My average will be 80.3-81.0 which worries me.

What should I change it to? Please help :( it would be sooo convenient for me to go to UTSG instead of UTSC or UTM
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of deathangel deathangel
I did not choose Criminology when I applied, although that was my intended major but because my HS average was a low 80s, I switched to "Sociology" to increase my chance of acceptance. You can also choose "Books and Media" or "East Asian studies" coz they are even more easy to get into.

And here I am now in UTSG :D
Got into UofT, and to be honest they do not give a dang what you have put down in OUAC. All they care about is your first year GPA. So once you get into UofT, just fulfill all the requirements for Criminology and declare it as your major in second year.

*From my own experience :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@deathangel wrote
I did not choose Criminology when I applied, although that was my intended major but because my HS average was a low 80s, I switched to "Sociology" to increase my chance of acceptance. You can also choose "Books and Media" or "East Asian studies" coz they are even more easy to get into.

And here I am now in UTSG :D
Got into UofT, and to be honest they do not give a dang what you have put down in OUAC. All they care about is your first year GPA. So once you get into UofT, just fulfill all the requirements for Criminology and declare it as your major in second year.

*From my own experience :)

Thank you! I just switched it to sociology. How do you like UofT btw? Is it as bad as they say it is? I got into UTSC and I'm planning to switch to UTSG after first year if I don't make it. Is that easy to do?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sheldore Sheldore
I'm in Life Sci so I'm not really familiar with Sociology or Criminology at UTSG, but you should and most likely will be accepted with your average. Even if you aren't accepted and go to UTSC, you can still get into UTSG after a year but you will have to maintain a stellar GPA at UTSC (like 3.3+). Its much easier to switch from UTSG to UTM or UTSC, lots of kids do all the time, but its much harder to switch from UTM or UTSC to UTSG, stricter grade requirements plus the registrar offices at UTSG are just a pain in the ass and are overall really unpleasant and disinterested in helping the students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Sheldore wrote
I'm in Life Sci so I'm not really familiar with Sociology or Criminology at UTSG, but you should and most likely will be accepted with your average. Even if you aren't accepted and go to UTSC, you can still get into UTSG after a year but you will have to maintain a stellar GPA at UTSC (like 3.3+). Its much easier to switch from UTSG to UTM or UTSC, lots of kids do all the time, but its much harder to switch from UTM or UTSC to UTSG, stricter grade requirements plus the registrar offices at UTSG are just a pain in the ass and are overall really unpleasant and disinterested in helping the students.

Thanks a lot for replying :) I really hope I do get accepted. UTSC = 1.5 hour commute while UTSG = 5-10 minute walk LOL 3.3 GPA is like a high 70 right? And just out of curiosity, how is life sci at UofT for you? Everyone I know in it hates it ... it can't be that bad right?

Hmm if I write them a letter/e-mail about the ... uhh ... commuting situation, do you think they'd be more understanding and accept me?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@itruffles wrote

@Sheldore wrote

Thanks a lot for replying :) I really hope I do get accepted. UTSC = 1.5 hour commute while UTSG = 5-10 minute walk LOL 3.3 GPA is like a high 70 right? And just out of curiosity, how is life sci at UofT for you? Everyone I know in it hates it ... it can't be that bad right?

Hmm if I write them a letter/e-mail about the ... uhh ... commuting situation, do you think they'd be more understanding and accept me?

Yeah it'll suck if you have to go to UTSC, I hope you get into UTSG :P. I myself am switching out after this year, UTSG just isn't for me, but everyone is different. If your really devoted and work hard you can succeed in first year. You basically got it right though, most people do hate it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Sheldore wrote

@itruffles wrote

@Sheldore wrote

Yeah it'll suck if you have to go to UTSC, I hope you get into UTSG :P. I myself am switching out after this year, UTSG just isn't for me, but everyone is different. If your really devoted and work hard you can succeed in first year. You basically got it right though, most people do hate it.

Thanks I hope so too *crosses fingers*. I'm notorious for being a slacker ... LOL always getting that pep talk from teachers about how I can do much better but I know I'll be motivated next year! I just feel like I've outgrown high school in a way :/. But damn, switching out? Where do you plan on going? It must be a disappointment to hate your first year of university, but honestly, good luck to you wherever you decide to go :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of juicyjuicy juicyjuicy

@itruffles wrote

@Sheldore wrote

I think your high school Top 6 average will account for pretty much most of the admission decision. Get the highest possible average you can, truffles!!! University, in general, is going to be much harder than high school so get those good work habits and marks up and running. :)

Yes, 3.3 GPA is a high 70. But trust me, it is not going to be study-the-night before/easy to get a 3.3 at UTSG.

Are you going into Soc Sci or Life Sci?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@juicyjuicy wrote

@itruffles wrote

@Sheldore wrote

I think your high school Top 6 average will account for pretty much most of the admission decision. Get the highest possible average you can, truffles!!! University, in general, is going to be much harder than high school so get those good work habits and marks up and running. :)

Yes, 3.3 GPA is a high 70. But trust me, it is not going to be study-the-night before/easy to get a 3.3 at UTSG.

Are you going into Soc Sci or Life Sci?

Thanks for the advice haha, I definitely need to get into good work habits. I applied into social science. My "final" top 6 average is an 81 :( wishing hard for that acceptance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@itruffles wrote

@Sheldore wrote

@itruffles wrote

@Sheldore wrote

Thanks I hope so too *crosses fingers*. I'm notorious for being a slacker ... LOL always getting that pep talk from teachers about how I can do much better but I know I'll be motivated next year! I just feel like I've outgrown high school in a way :/. But damn, switching out? Where do you plan on going? It must be a disappointment to hate your first year of university, but honestly, good luck to you wherever you decide to go :)

Its just that in undergrad the most important thing is a high GPA, without a high GPA you won't even be looked at by professional schools, grad schools, etc. That's the main reason I'm choosing to switch, and I don't really like the campus or environment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0