yconic - UofT Top Applicant's Dinner???? Anyone going?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UofT Top Applicant's Dinner???? Anyone going?

A photo of Road2gold Road2gold
So I a letter in the mail of an invite to the ECE Top applicant's dinner. I suppose other programs will have something similar.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone knows what I should expect. I haven't even been accepted yet which is why I find this particularly strange. Are there going to be like a thousand people who applied along with their parent, all crowded in a room?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of maelong maelong

@Road2gold wrote
So I a letter in the mail of an invite to the ECE Top applicant's dinner. I suppose other programs will have something similar.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone knows what I should expect. I haven't even been accepted yet which is why I find this particularly strange. Are there going to be like a thousand people who applied along with their parent, all crowded in a room?

what? what is applicant's dinner? they just invite you guys and have dinner /?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cometmars cometmars
LOL never heard of it.

Either way, it sounds like good news...so Congrats :)

Do you mind sharing your average (range, if you prefer) and when you applied/submitted your SPF?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
I remember there being a thread about this last year, not sure what it was about/who went lolz
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MattUK MattUK
It's for people with an average high enough to receive the entrance scholarship, I believe. I was invited, but never bothered going. It sounded a bit too self-gratifying for my tastes, but perhaps it wasn't. I don't have much to add.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
U of T loves sh*t like this. They even have a club for the top applicants to continue schmoozing after they are accepted. Take advantage of the opportunity, it's good networking.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AnnGuna AnnGuna
I received the same letter, but no admission letter yet. I'm sort of confused and really anxious to get it! I've researched online, apparantly it's sort of a surprise what happens at the dinner.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Does anyone know what it's about? Is it more formal or more casual?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Seeing that it's comming up soon, did anyone decide to go?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I've decided to go. I told my step mom about it and she insisted that I attend...but I'm sure it will be..informative. I've ordered the Halal food. Also, has anyone tried contacting the reference (Susan Grant) for questions? She had told me that we will basically be seated by a current ECE student, graduate and professor where as our parents will be at a separate table. She had also told me that "I’m not supposed to say if you will be receiving an admission offer, but I can say it’s extremely likely."

I hope this helps everyone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@MrSparkles wrote
I've decided to go. I told my step mom about it and she insisted that I attend...but I'm sure it will be..informative. I've ordered the Halal food. Also, has anyone tried contacting the reference (Susan Grant) for questions? She had told me that we will basically be seated by a current ECE student, graduate and professor where as our parents will be at a separate table. She had also told me that "I’m not supposed to say if you will be receiving an admission offer, but I can say it’s extremely likely."

I hope this helps everyone.

Extremely likely is an understatement. I would say guaranteed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Road2gold wrote

Hi, I have receive the invitation as well. From what I've heard of is that basically you would get a surprise there whatsoever. And if you are invited to the dinner, you are accepted. I am admitted to civil engineering program. I am not going, cuz its 5 hours away from here...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of madox madox
god damn. if I had just gotten 1 percent higher in one course, my entrance average would be 92%, and I would have gotten the $2,000 scholarship and this dinner thing.
damn i'm pissed. I had a 91.83% average....so close...oh well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EspoirSxH EspoirSxH

@madox wrote
god damn. if I had just gotten 1 percent higher in one course, my entrance average would be 92%, and I would have gotten the $2,000 scholarship and this dinner thing.

I thought they give the scholarship based on your final marks. Even if you have a 92 right now, by the end of the year if your avg drops to 90, your scholarship will be gone. So I guess you still have time to bump up your marks? (O.o...)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@madox wrote

I really don't think this dinner has anything to do with your marks, since my average is lower than yours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS
I'm going!!! See you guys there :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of madox madox

@EspoirSxH wrote

@madox wrote

I thought they give the scholarship based on your final marks. Even if you have a 92 right now, by the end of the year if your avg drops to 90, your scholarship will be gone. So I guess you still have time to bump up your marks? (O.o...)

my final average is 91.8%. I finished school last semester and am working this semester (well not yet). I can't boost my average

@Road2Gold:

i just assumed that if its for top applicants, than its for everyone with a 92+ average. Doesn't really matter, I only care about the scholarship, not the dinner. I just assumed being invited to this dinner meant you had a 92 average, therefore also got the 2k scholarship.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm thinking it might be a combination of having a good SPF and a high average, anyway, hope to see you all there! It will be interesting to meet some of you in person without knowing it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Solontus Solontus
I went to the dinner last year, they give you the acceptance letter and a scholarship at it. It's also nice to talk to the current ECE students and professors during the dinner. The food was really good too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0