yconic - UofT vs Uottawa
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UofT vs Uottawa

A photo of Stopless Stopless
How does the social scene of the University of Toronto and the University of Ottawa compare? If anyone has been to or have experienced either of the universities, advice and overviews would be great!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
There is no social scene at U of T. Nothing is perfect. Therefore the social scene at U of T is perfect. UOttawa can't compare.

I kid. But there is actually no social scene at U of T.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I disagree, UofT has a great social scene. There are loads of ways to meet new people and have fun. Assuming that you meet lots of people in your college, you'll have a lot more to do in Toronto than in Ottawa. There are lots of great bars, clubs and cafés to hang out it. Not to mention some of the best museums and theatres. You can find lots in the city that will tailor to what you're interested. I highly doubt that Ottawa has a comparable social scene when it comes to integrating city life into your post-secondary education.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kathleenUofT kathleenUofT

@Stopless wrote
How does the social scene of the University of Toronto and the University of Ottawa compare? If anyone has been to or have experienced either of the universities, advice and overviews would be great!

The social scene at UofT is great! From personal experience I feel as though you have the best of both worlds. What I mean by that is, UofT has a great parties within your college or faculty. For Instance my faculty hosts a pubnight called “Kin Krash” annually, its held at a night club and the whole university is invited to attend. It’s a massive event and its SO much fun. If clubbing and bars are not your scene, there are also dry events (for instance my faculty held a movember road-hockey tournament, and University College has an incredible formal called “Fireball” every year it is similar to prom). In addition to campus events there are also clubs, sports teams, and the downtown life to entertain you throughout your university career. I really hope you choose to study at the University of Toronto, we have so much to offer!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of icey icey
4th year physics/English student at UofT here. I can't tell you about the social scene at UOttawa, but I really like the social scene at UofT. I think the common stereotype is that UofT students become hermits and live in the library or something, but in my experience that's completely false.

As SRafiq said, Toronto is a great city with many things to do. My friends and I are always discovering new restaurants and events to go to :D, and when we feel like it, bars/clubs (I'm not that much of a clubbing person, but I do enjoy it on occasion). UofT has a kick-ass student centre as well called Hart House, where you can find anything from an athletics centre, a theatre (I've watched several plays there and they were really good!), concerts and music events... and so on. I just went to a reading by two authors at UofT on Monday, which was really inspiring -- I'd never had the opportunity to meet real authors or hear them read before.

There are also a massive amount of clubs you can join. For instance, if you're interested in music, there are choirs and orchestras (I've joined several in the past few years); if you're interested in student journalism, there are many campus newspapers, magazines, and blogs to write for; if you're interested in food, there's UeaT (which always gives great information on good food on/around campus)... I'm sure you'll be able to find things that cater to your interests. Also, many of these clubs host socials at restaurants and bars and the like, so you'll get more chances to interact with others that way too :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Xiaohaha wrote
There is no social scene at U of T. Nothing is perfect. Therefore the social scene at U of T is perfect. UOttawa can't compare.

I kid. But there is actually no social scene at U of T.

Xiaohaha,
I’m not sure if you attend UofT; I am not sure how you are concluding this. UofT holds many, many social events throughout the year. There are college specific parties, campus-wide club nights, pub crawls, dry events, sports tournaments – I could continue this list forever! The social scene is there, its up to you whether you involve yourself or not!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Stopless wrote

Stopless,
I am a third year student at the University of Toronto, and we have a great social scene. Individual colleges hold their own events but the UTSU (university of Toronto student union) student government holds campus wide events (often at clubs) where all uoft are invited to come out and party. UofT also holds many dry events if you do not drink, and there are many hooby based clubs and sports teams available for you to be a part of if you are interested.
Was this helpful? Yes 0