yconic - UofT
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UofT

A photo of sophiehu sophiehu
The deadline for ouac is in 2 days, but I'm not sure if I should apply to UofT's humanities program. I've heard good things about UofT at the same time bad things. If anyone have any comments they would like to share, please do. Thank you :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
Most of the bad things you hear about U of T (deflation/difficulty and large class sizes) are from science and engineering students. For humanities, I think you might as well apply.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of himynameisadam himynameisadam
Yeah Zion there is right. I'm currently in the program and it's basically a general first year. I'm taking all general courses to see what I'm more interested in, it really allows you to try different things. It really depends on what you want to do. You don't want to not apply for it and not even have the option of it to decide on.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mich1993 mich1993
Im looking into going into the psychology problem at u of t but the mississauga campus, has anyone heard anything on that?
as for the humanities at u of t i heard its reallly good to get into
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecasualty thecasualty
I'm in Humanities at the UofT St. George campus and I'm in my third year. First year might be easier, but don't be misled into believing that the humanities programs aren't as rigorous as the science or engineering ones. Although you won't be dealing with mathematics etc. you will be reading so much that it will feel impossible to keep up. UofT is a great school but no matter what you go in to, it's still very difficult work and they expect way more from you, especially in terms of essay assignments and your ability to interpret the material. It doesn't matter how high your grades are in high school, if you were in AP courses or whatnot, the humanities programs can be really tough because the right answer isn't as straight-forward as you'd like, and high school teachers don't really prepare you enough to meet the programs' expectations and standards. Often, you'll find yourself having to seek help from the many academic workshops that are available for students because you are unable to fulfill those standards. This is why UofT is one of the best schools in Canada, because those who come out on top are truly the brightest.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lapetitereine lapetitereine
I 100% agree with the poster above me. I was a first year History student at the university of toronto and with all 5 of my classes I was reading an average of 4-500 pages every two days. University of Toronto is a GREAT university simply because it is so challenging. (I completely burnt out in April and dropped my GPA severely from a 3.6 to a 2.97 pretty much due to a killer french class, and because of only sleeping 3h nights for 6 months straight, as well as losing 15 pounds instead of gaining the freshman 15!) What you will find is that for humanities students it is, in my opinion, a bit more challenging than science students simply for the fact that there is no clear right or wrong answer. When writing essays, the interpretation is up to the reader, and there will ALWAYS be something that your TA or professor will find at fault or disagree with dropping your mark. Tests will be very weird (in my opinion, there should be a mind reading 101 course in order to help you prepare for tests and know exactly what professors are wanting).

However, that being said, the library system at UofT is one of the best - if not the best - in the entire country. It is an absolute treat for humanities students, trust me. There is an extensive collection, not to mention that students can obtain books from the ROM archives as well.

First year is always overwhelming. As stated above, high school does not in ANY WAY help you prepare for the amount of work you will be doing. UofT is on a different caliber than other schools. I have transferred out for co-op at Uottawa and the difference is unbelievable.

The one thing I did find discouraging at UofT is that there are some profs who are teaching because it is part of their job description. I saw a few who were obviously there for research and had to teach a class or two on the side. You will find those professors, but you will also find other professors that will be absolutely amazing.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of doarnyie doarnyie

there is no bad thing about uoft. i am a first year at uoft and had the same mentality before joining. Psychology is one of the enjoyable humanities. as long as you read it, trust me you will pass it
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of doarnyie doarnyie

there is no bad thing about uoft. i am a first year at uoft and had the same mentality before joining. Psychology is one of the enjoyable humanities. as long as you read it, trust me you will pass it
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of veezemb veezemb
My grade 12 philosophy class actually had the chance to sit in on two lectures at U of T. The first year class was huge, and the prof wasn't so fantastic, but the second year class seemed a lot better. The lady who did the lecture had a good sense of humor and explained things very well. One of my cousins has graduated from U of T and she enjoyed it a lot, but she was in the music department. I'm not sure any of that helped but.. (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0