yconic - UofT/Waterloo to MIT
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UofT/Waterloo to MIT

A photo of qpls qpls
Hello Everyone,

I am currently in my final year of highschool and have just received acceptance to both the Waterloo and UofT computer science programs. After completing undergrad at one of the aforementioned universities, I intend on pursuing graduate studies at MIT. While I am aware that Waterloo is one of the best technical schools in Canada, I am also aware that UofT has a better reputation abroad. If I plan on applying to MIT which university would I be better off attending for undergrad?

Thanks in Advance,

qpls
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of ZzZ ZzZ
The student matters more than the university....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose
To be honest, I don't think it would make any difference. As ZzZ said, it is the student that matters most.

And if it makes you feel any better, I know a guy who went to Waterloo for his Master's (and Waterloo's CS grad school is definitely worse than U of T's), and he got accepted to both MIT *and* Berkeley for his PhD. Very brilliant guy who has done a lot of great research.

It depends on your ability and accomplishments much more than your school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@ZzZ wrote

+1
Do you think its possible for a student from Canada to directly go to MIT upon graduation?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ZzZ ZzZ

@iRamie wrote

@ZzZ wrote

+1
Do you think its possible for a student from Canada to directly go to MIT upon graduation?

I am not sure about that. But, I hope you get some answers in the thread you just started...:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KP640 KP640

@iRamie wrote

@ZzZ wrote

+1

I'm pretty sure you can. You have to have great grades plus you'll probably have to take the SAT and get a pretty high score. This might not guarantee your admission either. They usually give you an interview even with all the great stats and check your other achievements. This may not be as important if you do great in school. It's also very expensive. The last time I checked the fee was 39 thousand per year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tuzzer tuzzer
Of course, it is possible.
But MIT is the top engineering university in the world. It is going to be very very competitive.

You will figure out whether you have a chance to get into MIT or not after you get in. For now, either one university will be fine. Neither one would give you any extra advantage over another.

@iRamie wrote

@ZzZ wrote

+1

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@KP640 wrote

@iRamie wrote

@ZzZ wrote

+1

I'm pretty sure you can. You have to have great grades plus you'll probably have to take the SAT and get a pretty high score. This might not guarantee your admission either. They usually give you an interview even with all the great stats and check your other achievements. This may not be as important if you do great in school. It's also very expensive. The last time I checked the fee was 39 thousand per year.

I'm pretty sure it's not SAT but the GRE.

SAT=Undergrad
GRE=Grad
GMAT=MBA
MCAT=Medical School
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of qpls qpls
Bump.

Thanks for the response(s) guys, but perhaps someone who has more experience in dealing with and IV league school can chime in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@qpls wrote
Bump.

Thanks for the response(s) guys, but perhaps someone who has more experience in dealing with and IV league school can chime in.

You won't be finding Ivy League people frequenting these forums. You should be appreciative there's people that are actually in university rather than mere high school graduates taking the time to answer your questions, since uni students tend to have busy schedules.

I'm not sure how to make it any more clear to answer your question--it depends on your university performance and research, it doesn't matter what undergrad school you go to, and yes, you can go there right after you're done your undergrad. There are exams you should be doing, but as in the story I've detailed, it's not a hard requirement if you're exceptional.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@qpls wrote
Hello Everyone,

I am currently in my final year of highschool and have just received acceptance to both the Waterloo and UofT computer science programs. After completing undergrad at one of the aforementioned universities, I intend on pursuing graduate studies at MIT. While I am aware that Waterloo is one of the best technical schools in Canada, I am also aware that UofT has a better reputation abroad. If I plan on applying to MIT which university would I be better off attending for undergrad?

Thanks in Advance,

qpls

If you want advice on grad schools (especially in the US) try asking on http://www.physicsforums.com in the Academic Guidance section.

From what I know about grad schools - to get into a place like MIT you'll need:
-A competitive GPA ~3.8-4.0
-Good scores on the general GRE and whatever other GRE the department you are applying for needs
-VERY GOOD letters of recommendation
-Research experience is useful
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
If it's between Waterloo and UofT, it's not too much of a difference and should be based on you. However, imo UofT would be better because it has more an academic focus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0