yconic - UofW - AFM, Math/Chartered accountacy
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UofW - AFM, Math/Chartered accountacy

A photo of shadowbuddy shadowbuddy
Hey guys. So, i'm going to be applying to universities soon, and i want to go to the University of Waterloo for accounting. I saw that they have two programs, AFM (accounting financial management) and Math/Chartered accountancy. So, i was wondering which program you would choose, and why? For example, i saw that the mark cut off for the Math/Chartered accountancy program was a lot higher compared to the AFM program, so by that i'm guessing its a more competitive program compared to AFM.

Thanks for reading, any and all information helps! (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
It depends what you want out of the programs. As their names suggest, both programs will offer you the chance to get your Masters of Accountacy after 4 years which will exempts you from the first 2 of 3 CA Exams and both offer accounting coop only.

Where in AFM-PA/FM, you get a BAFM, in Math/CA you get a Bmath. Math/CA is definitely more math intensive and is reasonably more difficult to get into although not as bad as it used to be. Math/CA takes about 70 people while AFM-PA take 100+ and AFM-FM takes like 200-300+ (around).

There are more details about the differences - let me know if you need any help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@immaculatedx wrote
It depends what you want out of the programs. As their names suggest, both programs will offer you the chance to get your Masters of Accountacy after 4 years which will exempts you from the first 2 of 3 CA Exams and both offer accounting coop only.

Where in AFM-PA/FM, you get a BAFM, in Math/CA you get a Bmath. Math/CA is definitely more math intensive and is reasonably more difficult to get into although not as bad as it used to be. Math/CA takes about 70 people while AFM-PA take 100+ and AFM-FM takes like 200-300+ (around).

There are more details about the differences - let me know if you need any help!

AFM-PA takes around 80-90, and AFM-FM takes around 200. PA is probably as hard to get into as the Math/CA, and FM is a little easier, although still difficult.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote

Thank you for responding. I heard that PA has co-op whereas FM doesn't. Is that true?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@shadowbuddy wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

Thank you for responding. I heard that PA has co-op whereas FM doesn't. Is that true?

Both have co-op (with no option to choose co-op or no co-op).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@shadowbuddy wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

So, both programs will get you the masters in 4 years, along with the co-op experience, and exemption from the ca exams, correct?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@shadowbuddy wrote

@g93 wrote

@shadowbuddy wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

So, both programs will get you the masters in 4 years, along with the co-op experience, and exemption from the ca exams, correct?

The BAFM is after 4 years, then you get your MAcc in nearly 5.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of missblair missblair
Exactly what g93 and just a side note: if you're in FM, you are still exempt from the two CA exams but you need to make sure that you take the public accounting courses that are requried to be a CA (the other two streams you can go into are management accounting if you want to be a CMA, and financial management for the CFA designation).
Was this helpful? Yes 0